* Conversion to LaTeX: --resource-path and \includegraphics
@ 2023-02-10  9:20 Bruno Grenet
       [not found] ` <bca89deb-5e4d-4506-9262-b6b034340b14n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bruno Grenet @ 2023-02-10  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear all,

When converting to LaTeX (say from markdown in my case), it seems that the
--resource-path option has no effect for \includegraphics commands. Let's
assume for instance the following markdown file image.md:

An image: ![My image](image.jpg)

Then the commands
> pandoc image.md -s -o image.tex
and
> pandoc image.md -s --resource-path=img/ -o image.tex
produce the exact same file. It means that if you put image.jpg in the
directory img/, the resulting LaTeX file will fail to compile even with the
--resource-path option.

I can see two solutions:

   1. Produce a \graphicspath{{img/}} command when --resource-path is used;
   2. Modify each \includegraphics to add the full path.

I expect the first one to be good in standalone document while the second
better for non-standalone ones. And the first one is probably usable with
multiple paths in option while the second is not.

My questions: It the current behavior the intended behavior for some reason
I do not understand? Is any of my solutions desirable?

Thanks!

* Re: Conversion to LaTeX: --resource-path and \includegraphics
       [not found] ` <bca89deb-5e4d-4506-9262-b6b034340b14n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-02-11 19:14   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87k00om2je.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-02-11 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello Bruno,

Bruno Grenet <bruno.grenet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> When converting to LaTeX (say from markdown in my case), it seems
> that the --resource-path option has no effect for \includegraphics
> commands. Let's assume for instance the following markdown file
> image.md:
>
> An image: ![My image](image.jpg)
>
> Then the commands
>> pandoc image.md -s -o image.tex
> and
>> pandoc image.md -s --resource-path=img/ -o image.tex
> produce the exact same file. It means that if you put image.jpg in
> the directory img/, the resulting LaTeX file will fail to compile
> even with the --resource-path option.

The resource path takes effect when pandoc tries to actually grab and
use the image, e.g. when converting to PDF or docx. You can let pandoc
collect all images and place them in the target directory by passing
`--extract-media=.`

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2023-02-12 16:13       ` bruno.grenet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: bruno.grenet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2023-02-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks, I was unaware of this --extract-media, seems to be what I need!

Best,
Bruno