* docx output: how to set tables columns width, starting with pipe table?
@ 2023-07-01  7:23 andy
       [not found] ` <CAHEdGZNWx23eBW17o6R=vDKnzMkzA8uesM=G6otdinGqAEQh-Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: andy @ 2023-07-01  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have this sample input md file

| Question | Reply | Note |
| ----- | --- | -- |
|Magna sint duis proident do. Laboris Lorem exercitation consectetur
quis|Magna sint duis proident do. Laboris Lorem exercitation
consectetur quis|Magna sint duis proident do. Laboris Lorem
exercitation consectetur quis|

In the documentation I read that the relative cell widths are determined by
the number of dashes in the line separating the table header from the table
body.

I have | ----- | --- | -- |, than it should be 50%, 30% and 20%, but I have
a 33, 33, 33 docx output.

The command I use is pandoc -s input.md -o output.docx and I’m using pandoc
2.9.2.1

Thank you

[image: image.png]

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7307 bytes --]

* Re: docx output: how to set tables columns width, starting with pipe table?
       [not found] ` <CAHEdGZNWx23eBW17o6R=vDKnzMkzA8uesM=G6otdinGqAEQh-Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-07-01  8:03   ` Andrea Borruso
From: Andrea Borruso @ 2023-07-01  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Bad news: the problem seems to be office :(

If I open the same output file in LibreOffice, it has the right column
width.

Do you know it there is some tips to have it open properly in office (I'm
using office 365 for win),

@ 2023-07-01 15:58   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <266B2BB1-A4B1-416F-815A-DEE9EB4D2B11-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-01 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

With the latest pandoc I'm getting 50/30/20. Try upgrading.

@ 2023-07-01 16:09       ` andy
       [not found]         ` <CAHEdGZO0KafBKX2-OPNPPBP6oaJ18QDx31UM-GaxSCs2Y7Qprw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: andy @ 2023-07-01 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1030 bytes --]

Hi John,
and thank you very much.

Now I have used `pandoc 3.1.4`. The command I have used is `pandoc -s
input.md -o output.docx`.
I'm attaching the output.

If I open it in my office 365, on windows 11, I have wrong columns width.
Could you share your docx output?

Thank you againg

[image: image.png]

--
___________________

Andrea Borruso
website: https://medium.com/tantotanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E, EPSG:4326
___________________

"cercare e saper riconoscere chi e cosa,
 in mezzo all’inferno, non è inferno,
e farlo durare, e dargli spazio"

Italo Calvino

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 2127 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 55845 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: output.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 9994 bytes --]

@ 2023-07-01 16:26           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <79613221-EDCB-4626-9EA7-563B66F73EC8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I had missed your message about Office. No, haven't tried with Office, probably an issue with Office's ODT import.

@ 2023-07-01 16:32               ` andy
       [not found]                 ` <CAHEdGZOm9Ss2u_K-Sto2LAjc5dFWj47L_9vLT2oYMkcvEZ9Waw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: andy @ 2023-07-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi John,

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 at 18:26, John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I had missed your message about Office. No, haven't tried with Office,
> probably an issue with Office's ODT import.

I do not run any ODT import. I create a docx starting from the md I have
shared, running `pandoc -s input.md -o output.docx`.
Then I open it in office 365 and I have the wrong columns width. If I open
the docx in LibreOffice I have the right columns width.

@ 2023-07-01 19:33                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I see the same thing as you do.

The xml contains

      <w:tblGrid>
        <w:gridCol w:w="3960" />
        <w:gridCol w:w="2376" />
        <w:gridCol w:w="1584" />
      </w:tblGrid>

so the information is in there -- and obviously LibreOffice is finding it.
So the question is why docx isn't reacting to this?

Relevant docs:

http://officeopenxml.com/WPtableGrid.php

I note that in this example
http://officeopenxml.com/WPtable.php

in addition to tblGrid they define the widths for each cell:

<w:tc>
<w:tcPr>
<w:tcW w:w="2880" w:type="dxa"/>
</w:tcPr>
<w:p>
<w:r>
<w:t>AAA</w:t>
</w:r>
</w:p>
</w:tc>

So we might have to do that to make it work?  Not sure what tblGrid is for, in that case!

@ 2023-07-01 19:51                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <480DA686-525F-4E99-933C-DF82F266A6DC-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-01 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

OK, I've figured out the problem.

From the documentation:

Layout/Width
Whether a table uses a fixed width or autofit method for laying out the table contents is specified with the <w:tblLayout>element within the <w:tblPr> element. If <w:tblLayout> is omitted, autofit is assumed.

<w:tblPr>
<w:tblLayout w:type="fixed"/>
</w:tblPr>

Adding this w:tblLayout element fixes it.  I will change the writer accordingly.

@ 2023-07-01 20:05                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <8BFA7781-9075-468C-A887-A62F138EF8F3-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-07-01 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw