* Docx Margin
@ 2012-02-14  2:25 Matt Burton
       [not found] ` <36673f7b-9305-449c-9794-64dcfbbbd174-vo1gq9LBqTWBTme2s9K3m2B/v6IoIuQBVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Burton @ 2012-02-14  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

Is it possible to set non-default document margins for the docx
writer?  I modified the margins in the Page Layout section of
Microsoft Word, but the settings are not carried over from the
'reference.docx' file.  Other style settings are copied as expected,
but the resulting Word document has standard (1 inch) margins.

Thanks very much,
Matt Burton

* Re: Docx Margin
       [not found] ` <36673f7b-9305-449c-9794-64dcfbbbd174-vo1gq9LBqTWBTme2s9K3m2B/v6IoIuQBVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-02-14 16:25   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20120214162556.GD19597-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-02-14 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can modify styles, but page margins are not (currently at least)
in any styles, so changes to them won't persist.  It would be good
to make this modifiable, but I haven't had any luck putting page
margins in the styles in the reference.docx. Maybe someone with more
ooxml experience can help.

+++ Matt Burton [Feb 13 12 18:25 ]:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to set non-default document margins for the docx
> writer?  I modified the margins in the Page Layout section of
> Microsoft Word, but the settings are not carried over from the
> 'reference.docx' file.  Other style settings are copied as expected,
> but the resulting Word document has standard (1 inch) margins.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Matt Burton
>
> --

* Re: Docx Margin
       [not found]     ` <20120214162556.GD19597-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-02-15  0:26       ` Matt Burton
       [not found]         ` <2cb6471f-0620-4484-ab4e-9a965cd569f6-f4amzYh8hJaqFmioV6QfyGB/v6IoIuQBVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Matt Burton @ 2012-02-15  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Good enough then; I'll try to modify my content so that it works
better with the default styles.  Thanks!

On Feb 14, 11:25 am, John MacFarlane <fiddlosop...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> You can modify styles, but page margins are not (currently at least)
> in any styles, so changes to them won't persist.  It would be good
> to make this modifiable, but I haven't had any luck putting page
> margins in the styles in the reference.docx. Maybe someone with more
> ooxml experience can help.
>
> +++ Matt Burton [Feb 13 12 18:25 ]:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > Is it possible to set non-default document margins for the docx
> > writer?  I modified the margins in the Page Layout section of
> > Microsoft Word, but the settings are not carried over from the
> > 'reference.docx' file.  Other style settings are copied as expected,
> > but the resulting Word document has standard (1 inch) margins.
>
> > Thanks very much,
> > Matt Burton
>
> > --

* Re: Docx Margin
@ 2013-10-17 13:49           ` Michael Nestrud
       [not found]             ` <c33b3dbb-ac91-42b0-99bd-83fbd42f04fe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Nestrud @ 2013-10-17 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'd like to second that I would love the ability to set word margins to
something besides default, either through the reference.docx or other means.

Thanks,

-Michael

On Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:26:36 PM UTC-5, Matt Burton wrote:

> Good enough then; I'll try to modify my content so that it works
> better with the default styles.  Thanks!
>

> On Feb 14, 11:25 am, John MacFarlane <fiddlosop...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > You can modify styles, but page margins are not (currently at least)
> > in any styles, so changes to them won't persist.  It would be good
> > to make this modifiable, but I haven't had any luck putting page
> > margins in the styles in the reference.docx. Maybe someone with more
> > ooxml experience can help.
> >
> > +++ Matt Burton [Feb 13 12 18:25 ]:
> >

> > > Hello,
> >
> > > Is it possible to set non-default document margins for the docx
> > > writer?  I modified the margins in the Page Layout section of
> > > Microsoft Word, but the settings are not carried over from the
> > > 'reference.docx' file.  Other style settings are copied as expected,
> > > but the resulting Word document has standard (1 inch) margins.
> >
> > > Thanks very much,
> > > Matt Burton
> >
> > > --
> groups.google.com/group/pandoc-discuss?hl=en.

* Re: Docx Margin
       [not found]             ` <c33b3dbb-ac91-42b0-99bd-83fbd42f04fe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-10-30  8:19               ` Paul D. Walker
       [not found]                 ` <6d37e7c4-1ae5-407b-ae32-1253885d37c2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Paul D. Walker @ 2013-10-30  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This would still be a useful feature.

@ 2013-10-31 18:18                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20131031181853.GC7678-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-10-31 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm agreed about its usefulness!  I just haven't been able to figure
out yet how to do this in docx.  Again, I'd invite help from any
ooxml experts out there.

+++ Paul D. Walker [Oct 30 13 01:19 ]:

* Re: Docx Margin
       [not found]                     ` <20131031181853.GC7678-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-11-18 17:15                       ` CFCF
       [not found]                         ` <e4989094-92c2-4a01-b13c-a6e4fbdf366c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CFCF @ 2013-11-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Have a look at http://officeopenxml.com/WPsectionPgMar.php

At the end of document.xml generated in Pandoc then saved from Word 2013
with custom margins and paper size I found this:

<w:sectPr w:rsidR="00E50FC8" w:rsidSect="00D938EE">
<w:pgSz w:w="9638" w:h="13606"/>
<w:pgMar w:top="850" w:right="850" w:bottom="567" w:left="850" w:header="283
" w:footer="283"w:gutter="0"/>
<w:cols w:space="720"/>
<w:titlePg/>
<w:docGrid w:linePitch="360"/>
</w:sectPr>
</w:body>

All measurements are in twips,i.e. twentieths of a point (?!?).
 So <w:pgSz w:w="9638" w:h="13606" translates to 170x240mm paper size.

@ 2013-11-18 17:41                           ` CFCF
       [not found]                             ` <5cdf6ff1-9117-4025-8833-958e39f82020-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CFCF @ 2013-11-18 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Update: I just had pandoc generate an empty docx from an empty .txt file,
without reference.docx. In this file, when unzipped, document.xml had an
empty body element <w:body/>.

I then replaced the empty body element with this:
<w:body><w:sectPr><w:pgSz w:w="9638" w:h="13606"/><w:pgMar w:top="850"
w:right="850" w:bottom="567" w:left="850" w:header="283" w:footer="283"
w:gutter="0"/><w:cols w:space="720"/><w:docGrid w:linePitch="360"
/></w:sectPr></w:body>
...and rezipped it with docx extension. Voila, custom margins were set.

@ 2013-11-18 18:01                               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                 ` <20131118180119.GB21483-nFAEphtLEs+AA6luYCgp0U1S2cYJDpTV9nwVQlTi/Pw@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-11-18 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think I got that far myself.  But remember, the only thing that is
carried over from the reference docx are styles.  So we'd need to do
this in the context of a style...  Can you see how to do that?

+++ CFCF [Nov 18 13 09:41 ]:
> [...]
>      >    an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>      >    To post to this group, send email to
>      pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
>      >    To view this discussion on the web visit
>      >    [2][3]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/
>      6d37e7c4-1ae5-407b-
>      >    ae32-1253885d37c2%[4]40googlegroups.com.
>      groups/opt_out.
>      >
>      > References
>      >
>      >    1. [6]http://groups.google.com/group/pandoc-discuss?hl=en
>      >    2. [7]https://groups.google.com/d/
>      msgid/pandoc-discuss/6d37e7c4-1ae5-407b-ae32-1253885d37c2%
>      40googlegroups.com
>      >    3. [8]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
>
>    --
>    To view this discussion on the web visit

* Re: Docx Margin
@ 2013-11-18 23:45                                   ` CFCF
       [not found]                                     ` <9010aaa2-9907-4adf-a902-6ad19ab64fb8-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CFCF @ 2013-11-18 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That would be unpossible, as margins and page sizes are defined per section
of the document and thus independent of styles..

Being naive and not familiar with all the prior work done and conventions
decided upon (seriously! newbie uttering silliness here), I do wonder
though, where emerges the difficulty in adding a couple of children and
attributes to the last child of an element called "body"  within an xml
file?

@ 2013-11-19  2:07                                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2013-11-19  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, I suppose one approach would be to search the body of the
reference docx for a w:sectPr node; if it is found, copy it over.

+++ CFCF [Nov 18 13 15:45 ]:

* Re: Docx Margin
       [not found]             ` <c33b3dbb-ac91-42b0-99bd-83fbd42f04fe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-06-01  5:06               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20140601050653.GB3144-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-01  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Michael Nestrud [Oct 17 13 06:49 ]:
>   I'd like to second that I would love the ability to set word margins to
>   something besides default, either through the reference.docx or other
>   means.
>   Thanks,
>   -Michael

I've done this in commit 23a9b800a35d3c17d29a278b6bb218f05642d282

* Re: Docx Margin
@ 2014-06-01  5:07                                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                         ` <20140601050752.GC3144-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-01  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ CFCF [Nov 18 13 15:45 ]:
>   That would be unpossible, as margins and page sizes are defined per
>   section of the document and thus independent of styles..
>   Being naive and not familiar with all the prior work done and
>   conventions decided upon (seriously! newbie uttering silliness here), I
>   do wonder though, where emerges the difficulty in adding a couple of
>   children and attributes to the last child of an element called "body"
>   within an xml file?

That's what I've done, in the end (commit
23a9b800a35d3c17d29a278b6bb218f05642d282).

Actually, all <w:sectPr> elements that are children of <w:body> will
be carried over and put at the end of the produced document.  This seems
to work for the cases I've tried, but we may need to tweak.

* Re: Docx Margin
@ 2014-06-02  5:33                                           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                                             ` <20140602053305.GA10292-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-02  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The latest commit will also carry over headers and footers from
the reference.docx.  So this should pave the way to generating
letters on letterhead, etc.

More polish may be needed.

* Re: Docx Margin
@ 2014-06-02  6:04                                               ` Niels Berglund
       [not found]                                                 ` <CAL0uK6Ce-WTakLDvhtDmt6vPTznuNaGnEJrFCsXhaMCFeX5X_g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Niels Berglund @ 2014-06-02  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2 June 2014 07:33, John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> The latest commit will also carry over headers and footers from
> the reference.docx.  So this should pave the way to generating
> letters on letterhead, etc.

Awesome!!!!

Any news about the header-numbering and indentation issue for docx?

Niels

* Re: Docx Margin
@ 2014-06-03 16:57                                                   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-06-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Niels Berglund [Jun 02 14 08:04 ]:
>   On 2 June 2014 07:33, John MacFarlane <[1]jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>     The latest commit will also carry over headers and footers from
>     the reference.docx.  So this should pave the way to generating
>     letters on letterhead, etc.
>
>   Awesome!!!!
>   Any news about the header-numbering and indentation issue for docx?

I have identified the problem, but the fix is going to be very
complicated.  Don't know if I'll get to it for some time.

* Re: Docx Margin
       [not found]                 ` <20140601050653.GB3144-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-07-12 18:57                   ` Michael Nestrud
From: Michael Nestrud @ 2014-07-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)