* Identify lists (<ul> and <ol> tags)
@ 2021-04-12  7:46 Bücherregal Domi
       [not found] ` <0a5fdf61-8f1e-4f11-b392-7838729d63cen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bücherregal Domi @ 2021-04-12  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello, is there a way to use HTML identifiers with lists? Something like

``` markdown
{#id_string}
- item
- item
```

This would allow to identify different lists in the Markdown file, and it
would also allow different CSS styles to be applied to each list. This type
of identification already exists for headers, spans, etc.

* Re: Identify lists (<ul> and <ol> tags)
       [not found] ` <0a5fdf61-8f1e-4f11-b392-7838729d63cen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-04-12  8:01   ` BPJ
       [not found]     ` <CADAJKhAj+w8fVs34n-NT_1-KGKpG1wessNp8V3+OtaTfC9g6Cg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-04-12  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can always wrap the list in a div with attributes and then use a child
selector in your CSS:

``````markdown

::: {#my-list}

-   This
-   That

:::
``````

``````css
div#my-list ul {
  /* Put your style here */
}
``````

Not the most concise or pretty HTML or CSS imaginable but it works!

On occasion I have used Mojo::DOM[^1] to post-process such HTML to actually
attach the attributes to the contained element and remove the div or span,
but its mostly overkill unless you have to adapt to some existing common
CSS, since hardly anyone will look at your HTML source or CSS anyway.

[^1]: https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojo::DOM

@ 2021-04-12 10:04       ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]         ` <878s5nddiu.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2021-04-12 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

NB: using CommonMark with the "attributes" extension does exactly this
while allowing the syntax used by the OP.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2021-04-12 13:47           ` Bücherregal Domi
From: Bücherregal Domi @ 2021-04-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the answers.

@BPJ, using divs is a good idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that!

@ 2021-04-13  6:40       ` S. Manning
       [not found]         ` <8752d80b96c1f013cd65fc0798b8d5d9-aFO/2INALiozYggVrLCuDg@public.gmane.org>
From: S. Manning @ 2021-04-13  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Could you explain?  Do you mean add a div as inline HTML around the list
written in Markdown syntax, or do some versions of Markdown have a
Markdown annotation that is equivalent to a HTML div?

It seems to me that often encoding something as HTML is just as quick
and pretty as encoding it slightly differently as Markdown.  I am not
familiar with versions of Markdown with this 'identifier' syntax.

Sean

@ 2021-04-13  7:29           ` Matt Jolly
From: Matt Jolly @ 2021-04-13  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi Sean,

This div syntax is identified in the Pandoc manual (see Extension:
fenced_divs). It is a Pandoc specific extension AFAIK.

> It seems to me that often encoding something as HTML is just as quick
> and pretty as encoding it slightly differently as Markdown.

I would strongly disagree for anything but the most trivial examples.

@ 2021-04-14 14:36           ` Bücherregal Domi
From: Bücherregal Domi @ 2021-04-14 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss