* source code and reference.docx
@ 2020-04-13  5:39 Niels Henrik Bruun
       [not found] ` <e274e3bd-818f-4fc7-94c7-1b62cc50a138-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Niels Henrik Bruun @ 2020-04-13  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi
When I use pandoc without reference.docx ~~~ is translated into the style
"source code" which is a paragraph style.
When I use pandoc with reference.docx ~~~ is translated into "verbatim
char" which is a character style.

I can't figure out how to modify "verbatim char". I have been unzipping the
reference.docx and tried different modifications without luck.

I can see in the pandoc documentation on reference.docx that "source code"
is not the list of styles to modify.
So maybe "source code" isn't used by the reference.docx?

looking forward to your help

Kind regards
nhb

* Re: source code and reference.docx
       [not found] ` <e274e3bd-818f-4fc7-94c7-1b62cc50a138-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-04-13 16:34   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2ftd7ibuu.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-13 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Henrik Bruun, pandoc-discuss

Pandoc uses a default reference.docx when you don't specify one.
So, if you create a reference.docx based on pandoc's default,
it should behave exactly the same (unless e.g. you delete
the relevant style).

One thing to note is that pandoc may behave differently for
code blocks that have a language specified and those that
don't.

@ 2020-04-14  3:54   ` Niels Henrik Bruun
From: Niels Henrik Bruun @ 2020-04-14  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

mandag den 13. april 2020 kl. 07.39.07 UTC+2 skrev Niels Henrik Bruun:

> Hi
> When I use pandoc without reference.docx ~~~ is translated into the style
> "source code" which is a paragraph style.
> When I use pandoc with reference.docx ~~~ is translated into "verbatim
> char" which is a character style.
>
> I can't figure out how to modify "verbatim char". I have been unzipping
> the reference.docx and tried different modifications without luck.
>
> I can see in the pandoc documentation on reference.docx that "source code"
> is not the list of styles to modify.
> So maybe "source code" isn't used by the reference.docx?
>
> looking forward to your help
>
> Kind regards
> nhb

[-- Attachment #2: test2.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 12242 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: reference.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 15098 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: test.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 35 bytes --]

~~~
Style should be source code
~~~

[-- Attachment #5: test1.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 9767 bytes --]

@ 2020-04-14  3:56       ` Niels Henrik Bruun
       [not found]         ` <4f99947a-d15a-4283-9a56-77388e4dc743-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Niels Henrik Bruun @ 2020-04-14  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dear John
Thank you for taking your time on me.
And thank you very much for pandoc. It is a great tool.

I do the following:

   1. Create the custom-reference.docx by: nhb> pandoc -o
   custom-reference.docx --print-default-data-file reference.docx
   2. The style "Source Code" is not in custom-reference.docx, so I create
   a new style of that name
   3. Then I create the test.md markdown file
   4. If I don't use the custom-reference.docx, the style is correctly
   chosen to be "Source Code": nhb> pandoc -f markdown -t docx -o test1.docx
   test.md
   5. If I do use the custom-reference.docx, the style is correctly chosen
   to be "Verbatim char": nhb> pandoc -f markdown -t docx -o test2.docx
   --reference-doc=reference.docx test.md

At first, the document 2 did not inherit any "Source Code" formatting, but
that was because I misspelled "Source code" (lower c in code).

Still, I find it strange that "Source Code" is not part of the generated
template and that the tagging/styling differs dependent on whether a
template is used or not.

Kind regard
nhb

mandag den 13. april 2020 kl. 18.34.18 UTC+2 skrev John MacFarlane:

> Pandoc uses a default reference.docx when you don't specify one.
> So, if you create a reference.docx based on pandoc's default,
> it should behave exactly the same (unless e.g. you delete
> the relevant style).
>
> One thing to note is that pandoc may behave differently for
> code blocks that have a language specified and those that
> don't.
>
> Niels Henrik Bruun <niels.he...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > Hi
> > When I use pandoc without reference.docx ~~~ is translated into the
> style
> > "source code" which is a paragraph style.
> > When I use pandoc with reference.docx ~~~ is translated into "verbatim
> > char" which is a character style.
> >
> > I can't figure out how to modify "verbatim char". I have been unzipping
> the
> > reference.docx and tried different modifications without luck.
> >
> > I can see in the pandoc documentation on reference.docx that "source
> code"
> > is not the list of styles to modify.
> > So maybe "source code" isn't used by the reference.docx?
> >
> > looking forward to your help
> >
> > Kind regards
> > nhb
> >
> > --
> an email to pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e274e3bd-818f-4fc7-94c7-1b62cc50a138%40googlegroups.com.

[-- Attachment #2: test.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 35 bytes --]

~~~
Style should be source code
~~~

[-- Attachment #3: test1.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 9767 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: test2.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 12242 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: reference.docx --]

@ 2020-04-17 16:33           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-04-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Henrik Bruun, pandoc-discuss

The Source Code style is added later because it depends on the
highlighting style used.

For your purposes you might try using `--no-highlight` when
you convert from Markdown.  This would mean Source Code style
won't be used.

@ 2020-04-19  9:23   ` Niels Henrik Bruun
From: Niels Henrik Bruun @ 2020-04-19  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss