* Install pandoc on Raspberry Pi ARM
@ 2016-01-10 12:49 Jan Ulrich Hasecke
       [not found] ` <56925342.2000901-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jan Ulrich Hasecke @ 2016-01-10 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

does anyone installed pandoc on a Raspberry Pi?

juh

--
Das ZEN von Pandoc
Bücher und E-Books einfach und professionell produzieren

* Re: Install pandoc on Raspberry Pi ARM
       [not found] ` <56925342.2000901-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-01-10 14:23   ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2016-01-10 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc discuss discuss

> Am 10.01.2016 um 13:49 schrieb Jan Ulrich Hasecke <juh+pandoc-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> does anyone installed pandoc on a Raspberry Pi?

Some time ago I build Pandoc on a Raspberry B and wrote about it on:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/wiki/Building-pandoc-on-a-raspberry-pi

The current version of Raspian includes pandoc 12.4.

It may be possible to build a more recent version on a Pi 2 which has more RAM.

Axel

@ 2016-01-11 11:08   ` mb21
       [not found]     ` <d70dcdb8-d44a-4b54-9307-4c22fe07fdd2-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2016-01-11 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: juh+pandoc-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w

Pandoc is written in Haskell, so you'll have to build it using `cabal` or
`stack`. However once built, you can move the binary to your server:

From [Installing
Pandoc](http://pandoc.org/installing.html#creating-a-relocatable-binary):

> It is possible to compile pandoc such that the data files pandoc uses are
embedded in the binary. (The executables in the binary are built this way.)
The resulting binary can be run from any directory and is completely
self-contained.

    cabal update
    cabal install hsb2hs
    cabal install --flags="embed_data_files" pandoc pandoc-citeproc

@ 2016-01-18 20:29       ` Florian Cramer
       [not found]         ` <e3daebd4-5d26-4fad-bdae-dd06e59e507a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Florian Cramer @ 2016-01-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: juh+pandoc-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w

Building pandoc via cabal on a Raspberry Pi 2 running Raspian doesn't work
since there are compiler errors when building the Aeson dependency:

Data/Aeson/TH.hs:745:11:
    Template Haskell bracket requires GHC with interpreter support
    Perhaps you are using a stage-1 compiler?
      [| parseTypeMismatch' |]
aeson-0.7.0.6 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
pandoc-1.16.0.2 depends on aeson-0.7.0.6 which failed to install.

I guess it has to do with the GHC version (7.6.3) included in Raspian?

@ 2016-01-19  1:17           ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]             ` <20160119011730.GA30578-4kKid1p5UN5kRMcaKpzQXBvRwXAb8BAkh13vi7wywA4@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-01-19  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sounds like ghc 7.8 might work for you (including Template
Haskell).
http://smart-cactus.org/~ben/posts/2014-03-06-compiling-ghc-7.8-on-arm.html

+++ Florian Cramer [Jan 18 16 12:29 ]:

@ 2016-01-19  1:18               ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]                 ` <20160119011858.GA30730-4kKid1p5UN5kRMcaKpzQXBvRwXAb8BAkh13vi7wywA4@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-01-19  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

PS. there's an ARMv7 linux binary for GHC 7.10.2
https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_7_10_2
That might work.

+++ John MACFARLANE [Jan 18 16 17:17 ]:

@ 2016-01-20 12:31                   ` Simon P
From: Simon P @ 2016-01-20 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

I have built pandoc 1.11.1 on Raspbian based on Debian Wheezy.

https://www.le-huit.fr/dev/pdctools/INSTALL.html#install-on-raspberry-pi

A more recent pandoc version requires vector-0.10.12.2 that requires
ghci that is not available on my raspbian.

The situation is maybe different on the new Raspbian based on Debian Jessie.

Simon.

@ 2016-05-11  9:23   ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <f9c9e5dc-5e30-4d0e-b229-37e8db8fa8fd-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-05-11  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: juh+pandoc-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w

Am Sonntag, 10. Januar 2016 13:49:11 UTC+1 schrieb Jan Ulrich Hasecke:

> does anyone installed pandoc on a Raspberry Pi?

I've started to play with a Raspberry Pi 3.  With the standard Raspbian
Jessie installed, there is a Pandoc 1.12.4.2 available.

Right now I'm trying a cabal install of the current Pandoc, but the build
process is not yet finished.

@ 2016-05-11 16:27       ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <6f50ef58-a91e-4bf6-9371-9c136d4053ca-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-05-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: juh+pandoc-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w

Am Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2016 11:23:34 UTC+2 schrieb kurt.p…@googlemail.com:

> Am Sonntag, 10. Januar 2016 13:49:11 UTC+1 schrieb Jan Ulrich Hasecke:
>>

>> does anyone installed pandoc on a Raspberry Pi?
>>

> I've started to play with a Raspberry Pi 3.  With the standard Raspbian
> Jessie installed, there is a Pandoc 1.12.4.2 available.
>
> Right now I'm trying a cabal install of the current Pandoc, but the build
> process is not yet finished.

In the end, I didn’t succeed. The last few lines of output for the
(preparation) cabal install cabal-install command were:

[....]
[82 of 88] Compiling Distribution.Simple.SrcDist ( Distribution/Simple/SrcDist.hs, dist/build/Distribution/Simple/SrcDist.o )
You are using a new version of LLVM that hasn't been tested yet!
We will try though...
[83 of 88] Compiling Distribution.Simple.Configure ( Distribution/Simple/Configure.hs, dist/build/Distribution/Simple/Configure.o )
You are using a new version of LLVM that hasn't been tested yet!
We will try though...
ghc: out of memory (requested 1048576 bytes)

The Raspberry Pi 3 has 1 GByte of RAM, maybe that is not enough for the
Haskel compiler.
​

@ 2016-05-11 16:47           ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]             ` <154a0b75ca0.27ea.f7cab59eedd5157033ccb454e473dbca-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-05-11 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11 May 2016 18:27:53 "kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss"
<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The Raspberry Pi 3 has 1 GByte of RAM, maybe that is not enough for the
> Haskel compiler.

Perhaps you want to try cross-compilation:

https://github.com/ku-fpg/raspberry-pi/wiki/GHC-Cross-Compiler-for-Raspberry-Pi

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2016-05-11 17:16           ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]             ` <20160511171612.GA79559-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-05-11 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss

I had similar problems.  You can try with
--disable-optimization, that might help.

+++ kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss [May 11 16 09:27 ]:

@ 2016-05-11 21:38               ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-05-11 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Am Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2016 19:16:24 UTC+2 schrieb John MacFarlane:

> I had similar problems.  You can try with
> --disable-optimization, that might help.

I tried it one more time. But now a new error pops up (probably un-related,
but due to a new `cabal update`):

~~~bash
[....]
Configuring aeson-0.7.0.6...
Failed to install aeson-0.7.0.6
Build log ( /home/pi/.cabal/logs/aeson-0.7.0.6.log ):
aeson-0.7.0.6 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
user error (
/tmp/aeson-0.7.0.6-19042/aeson-0.7.0.6/dist/setup/setup.hs:1:8:
Could not find module `Distribution.Simple'
There are files missing in the `Cabal-1.24.0.0' package,
try running 'ghc-pkg check'.
Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
)
~~~

I'm clueless about `cabal`, Haskell and Hackage and cannot debug this
further.

@ 2016-05-12 13:29               ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                 ` <6a79b5f9-7c95-41dc-842e-ce72af60172c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-05-12 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 6:47:29 PM UTC+2, Joost wrote:

> On 11 May 2016 18:27:53 "kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss"
> <pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> wrote:
> > The Raspberry Pi 3 has 1 GByte of RAM, maybe that is not enough for the
> > Haskel compiler.
>
> Perhaps you want to try cross-compilation:
>

> https://github.com/ku-fpg/raspberry-pi/wiki/GHC-Cross-Compiler-for-Raspberry-Pi

Thanks, Joost.

I might give it a try at the weekend. (Without such a detailled set of
instructions, I wouldn't dare...)

@ 2016-07-06  9:51                   ` Jurij Smrke
       [not found]                     ` <27899e7e-fdf0-4144-b8c3-670cf8f1aa9d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jurij Smrke @ 2016-07-06  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi!
Just reporting that I've succesfully installed pandoc 1.12.4.2 from the
repos <https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=pandoc> onto my
raspberry pi model b, running debian jessie. It has 512mb of RAM.

@ 2016-07-06  9:52                       ` Jurij Smrke
From: Jurij Smrke @ 2016-07-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

... so that's 1st generation model b.

@ 2016-07-06 19:19                       ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                         ` <0c02ef72-ffa2-44cc-bff5-ec5f53b4aac9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-07-06 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Am Mittwoch, 6. Juli 2016 11:51:07 UTC+2 schrieb Jurij Smrke:

> Just reporting that I've succesfully installed pandoc 1.12.4.2 from the
> repos <https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=pandoc> onto my
> raspberry pi model b, running debian jessie. It has 512mb of RAM.

Yes -- that's easy. But we all want 1.17.0.3.     :-)

@ 2016-07-07  7:42                           ` Jurij Smrke
From: Jurij Smrke @ 2016-07-07  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I see. Of course ... :)

@ 2017-07-15 21:23                           ` Harley Day
       [not found]                             ` <31fa8b71-5432-4c74-94a5-d1c973b39e42-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Harley Day @ 2017-07-15 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Add the stretch repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list by adding this
line...

deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib
non-free rpi

then execute the commands: