* Sugesstions for dealing with malformed LaTeX documents automatically?
@ 2017-01-06  2:30 Grady D
       [not found] ` <496e4ff7-b62a-47f8-8813-f699f56ae541-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Grady D @ 2017-01-06  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am trying to convert many LaTeX documents using Pandoc. However, some of
the documents have syntax errors or are poorly formatted, and cause Pandoc
to crash. Is there anything I could use, through Pandoc or otherwise, to
make these documents usable/convertable? I intend to convert them to
plaintext preserving only the content, so I do not need full blown syntax
repair as much as I just need a way to eliminate malformed statements. At
the bottom of this post, I have attached some of the errors I'm talking
about.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys have.

Error examples: https://hastebin.com/raw/womufuxoko

* Re: Sugesstions for dealing with malformed LaTeX documents automatically?
       [not found] ` <496e4ff7-b62a-47f8-8813-f699f56ae541-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-06 10:17   ` Václav Haisman
       [not found]     ` <CAKw7uViJOSH3rkjaqMTrbWJsN6Lf_m9H1DjcrxjuqpKEJ6Pzmw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Haisman @ 2017-01-06 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 6 January 2017 at 03:30, Grady D <gsmail4231-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I am trying to convert many LaTeX documents using Pandoc. However, some of
> the documents have syntax errors or are poorly formatted, and cause Pandoc
> to crash. Is there anything I could use, through Pandoc or otherwise, to
> make these documents usable/convertable? I intend to convert them to
> plaintext preserving only the content, so I do not need full blown syntax
> repair as much as I just need a way to eliminate malformed statements. At
> the bottom of this post, I have attached some of the errors I'm talking
> about.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions you guys have.
>
> Error examples: https://hastebin.com/raw/womufuxoko

​Well, you will have to fix the math sooner or later anyway, if you want to
make any sense out of it. Why not try and fix it before the conversion?

--
VH

@ 2017-01-06 11:48       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20170106114852.GH791-BKjuZOBx5Kn2N3qrpRCZGbhGAdq7xJNKhPhL2mjWHbk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-01-06 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Note that things pandoc stumbles on are not necessary tex
errors.  They may reflect limitations in pandoc's ability to
understand tex.

I've made the tex reader fail when it gets confused, rather
than (e.g.) silently skipping things, partly so that it can
be improved more rapidly.

In pandoc 2.0 we'll have better warnings about places where
information is lost, and perhaps we could add options to
"plow ahead" when pandoc gets confused.

+++ Václav Haisman [Jan 06 17 11:17 ]:

@ 2017-01-06 13:21           ` Grady D
From: Grady D @ 2017-01-06 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am sorry to hear that. Looking forward to the updates, though.

@Vaclav I am actually only interested in the documents' text, and I can do
without the math. I have been using a filter to remove math expressions
from the documents, but that only works if I can get the documents
processed first.

@ 2017-01-06 14:17   ` 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <caa79c5c-db77-497b-a1ed-c573bedbcf41-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Jason Seeley' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-01-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You might try DeTeX (or OpenDetex, which is easier to find). It strips all
LaTeX commands, just leaving the text.

(Old version with Windows executable
here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/opendetex/
Newer version, but source only,