Hi, This thread seems to have been forgotten. What do you think about my last proposal? On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 4:04:45 PM UTC+2 Milan Bracke wrote: > Hi, > > Thanks for your feedback, and sorry for taking a while to respond. > > Your objections are very reasonable and parsing these lists as regular > paragraphs is a decent alternative, but it also has its drawbacks. So I > came up > with a third solution. The main drawback was that these lists without > markers > are often used to add paragraphs in a list item without visually adding a > new > list element or ending the list. By using paragraphs, we would visually > end the > list. My solution to this is to add the list items without markers as > paragraphs to the last item of the list immediately before if there is > one. In > the other cases we propose to just use paragraphs as you suggested. > > I have attached a docx file and an HTML file to demonstrate both cases and > how > they would be rendered with my solution. > > What are your thoughts on this solution? If you think it's good I'll send a > pull request either Friday or in two weeks. > On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 7:39:23 PM UTC+2 John MacFarlane wrote: > >> >> I guess I do have objections to features that get implemented >> in just a couple of formats, leaving the work of implementing >> them in others to other people. >> >> There's also a question whether it makes sense to support >> this kind of list -- that depends on whether it has a reasonable >> rendering in enough of the formats we support. (Particularly >> in Markdown, which is supposed to be expressive enough for >> everything in the AST, with the current exception of some of >> the new table features.) >> >> What about parsing these docx lists as just lists of regular >> paragraphs? Then they'll render pretty well in every output >> format. >> >> Milan Bracke writes: >> >> > Hi, >> > >> > Both docx and HTML have a list type named "none", where no marker is >> shown. >> > However, Pandoc doesn't support these types of lists and will put >> numbers >> > instead. See the attached docx file for an example. >> > >> > We would like to add a ListNumberStyle called None in pandoc-types and >> use >> > it in >> > the docx reader and HTML writer. For HTML5, we can't use the "type" >> > attribute so >> > we will have to fall back on the "list-style-type" CSS as described >> here: >> > https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_ol_type.asp, and for docx the >> change >> > seems >> > simple since all the types can be set with w:numFmt. >> > >> > We'd prefer not to implement the usage of the new type in the other >> readers >> > and >> > writers yet. (We'll of course avoid breaking them.) We only need it in >> the >> > two >> > mentioned above and we don't master all the file types in Pandoc. Is >> this >> > OK and >> > should we make an issue to track the progress in the other readers and >> > writers >> > when people implement the new type there? >> > >> > Do you have any feedback or objections? If there are no objections, >> we'll >> > make >> > a pull request soon. >> > >> > -- >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >> Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. >> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >> an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org >> > To view this discussion on the web visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4e936aa2-41d6-4d68-ba5a-bea916754922n%40googlegroups.com. >> >> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/cbd38158-110b-4ecb-8fa4-ee87f1b886e5n%40googlegroups.com.