* How to deal with the code listing issue with pandoc-crossref when using header file
@ 2023-06-22 12:39 Jianhua Liu
From: Jianhua Liu @ 2023-06-22 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am trying to use the syntax
of https://lierdakil.github.io/pandoc-crossref/#code-block-labels to create
a code block that I can reference elsewhere in the same file:

```{#lst:code .haskell caption="Listing caption"}
main :: IO ()
main = putStrLn "Hello World!"
```

The output is pdf. Here is what I see:

-   It works well with the eisvogel template without any issues.
-   It works somehow with the default template. The cross reference works,
with some warnings, such as "[WARNING] Citeproc: citation lst:code1 not
found". I can live with the warnings.
-   It has issues when I use the default template and a latex header file
to customize the format of the pdf output. It complains "! LaTeX Error:
Environment codelisting undefined."

I am not at the stage where I can modify the template yet to change the
output format due to the steep learning curve, so I need to stay with the
default template plus the local header .tex file. I know that this is a
known issue with pandoc-crossref and solutions have been suggested at
https://lierdakil.github.io/pandoc-crossref/#caveats. Again, due to the
learning curve, I am not able to comprehend them. A simple solution in
https://mickey-happygolucky.hatenablog.com/entry/2022/04/05/012146 suggests
using "-M listings" in the command line, and it works for me to suppress
the above LaTeX Error. However, the code block does not have a list
caption, and the cross-reference defaults to the section number.

Could anyone provide a straightforward solution or explanation with enough
details so that I can adapt to my case? I know enough LaTeX to make it work
one way or another, but I don't have enough knowledge of the configuration
of Pandoc and pandoc-crossref; so detailed instruction is needed.

Many thanks,
JH