From: Connor Patrick Jackson <cpjackson-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: <article> rather than <section> in HTML5 output
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 07:20:07 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Okay, I have put together a Lua filter to do this that I'm happy with, and
it makes the correct changes to the data in the AST (everything looks right
when I print --to native). However, I'm running into an issue when actually
writing out to HTML. My filter first calls make_sections to create the divs
from the headers (seemed reasonable so I don't have to recreate the wheel),
and then goes in, finds the Div blocks with class "article", creates the
new <article> opening and closing tags, and removes the original Div,
putting its content between the <article> tags. All is well.

However, when I am writing to HTML, if I don't include --section-divs in
the call, the resulting HTML doesn't include any of the <section>s for the
other headers (the ones I didn't convert to articles), even though they
exist in the AST after being created by make_sections. However, if I do
call --section-divs, apparently make_sections gets called a second time,
because the heading I just wrapped with an <article> is now wrapped in
_another_ <section> tag (the <article> tag remains), despite having removed
the wrapping Div entirely from around that header. This behavior occurs
regardless of whether I call --section-divs before or after the filter.

So the --section-divs option is doing more than just calling make_sections,
and has a larger role in the HTML writer. Thus, I can't exclude it from the
call.
On the other hand, if it calls make_sections a second time, and I can't
control when that happens, it ends up writing invalid markup. So I can't
include it.

I am officially stuck. I'm not sure if this is proper behavior of
--section-divs or a bug, but I'm unsure how to work around it in either
case. Happy to provide an MRE and my Lua filter if it would help, or take
this over to the Issue Tracker and file a bug report if that's what it is.