* Problem with pdf conversion, citations with titles that include terminal punctuation
@ 2021-08-05 13:31 John Carter Wood
       [not found] ` <292ee9a1-4fa1-f6e5-99a6-584a690a54ff-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2021-08-05 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi everyone,

I am running into a problem with the formatting of titles in footnotes
and bibliographies that have concluding punctuation *in the titles* when
using pandoc to convert from markdown to pdf via LaTeX.

I have a bibliographic entry in a json file that is a newspaper article
with a title that ends in an exclamation point. When creating a pdf, the
exclamation mark is turned upside down and the concluding quotation mark
is turned into a single quotation mark.

Text as it appears in pdf

When converting to docx it converts fine.

Text as it appears in docx

It also looks fine when I preview citations in Zotero.

I am using Zotero to create a json file to contain the citations.
I am then using pandoc (2.11.3.1) and citeproc (0.3.0.1) to create the
documents.
Citation file and csl are defined in YAML in the markdown documents,
where I also use package \csquotes.

The json entry looks like this:

~~~
{"id":"noauthor_stamp_1932","container-title":"Daily
Mirror","event-place":"London","issued":{"date-parts":[[1932,4,30]]},"language":"en","page":"9","publisher-place":"London","title":"Stamp
out these bandits!","title-short":"Stamp out these
bandits!","type":"article-newspaper"},
~~~

A few notes:
- The error occurs whether or not I use the pandoc-quotes.lua to get my
German quotation marks.
- The error occurs with different csl files
- The error occurs whether I use the default LaTeX engine or use XeTeX.
- The error also occurs when exporting a .bib file from Zotero (whether
in BibTeX or BibLaTeX)

I would very much appreciate any assistance in solving this problem!

[-- Attachment #2.2: Quote-mark-pdf.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 16389 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.3: Cite-exclamation-docx.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7085 bytes --]

* Re: Problem with pdf conversion, citations with titles that include terminal punctuation
       [not found] ` <292ee9a1-4fa1-f6e5-99a6-584a690a54ff-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-08-06 12:08   ` johanne...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]     ` <4a594f48-0c39-4c71-9920-2fdc9ad05ac3n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: johanne...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-08-06 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

A quick follow-up: the problem also occurs with other terminal punctuation
in titles (question marks, etc). So it's not just about the exclamation
point.

@ 2021-08-06 14:13       ` johanne...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <56620658-d10e-4ee7-b658-46dbc65a9ca1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: johanne...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2021-08-06 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks to a tip from a LaTeX-knowlegeable friend, I tried using the +smart
extension with my pandoc command: pandoc --from markdown+smart KIII_4.md -o
KIII_4-new-test.pdf --citeproc

This solved the problem. Which is curious, since the LaTeX output looks the
same in both cases. (If I export a .tex file instead of a pdf.)

But it works! And that's the most important thing. Just wanted to leave the
note here, that my question is solved.

@ 2021-08-06 22:10           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <D1B3BD6E-084E-429E-B194-3CEC29689FEB-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-08-06 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

This looks like a bug that was fixed a couple versions ago. Try upgrading to the latest release of Pandoc.

@ 2021-08-08  9:01               ` John Carter Wood
From: John Carter Wood @ 2021-08-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss