* Separating multiple citations in generated footnote
@ 2022-05-30  7:06 Shane Liesegang
       [not found] ` <baf8fe27-c662-4825-981d-b49fb7b38d71n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Shane Liesegang @ 2022-05-30  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My institution has a few specific citation style requirements that stray
from the standard Chicago Style. The changes are mostly around specific
works, so it's difficult-to-impossible to meet the requirements by making a
new CSL.

For the most part I'm able to handle it with Lua filters. I intercept the
citation reference both before and after --citeproc runs and make whatever
changes I need to; this might entail changing the style to SuppressAuthor,
making some capitalization/punctuation changes, etc. In general this works
well, but where it gets difficult is if a single Cite element contains
multiple citations. In that case, looking at the generated footnote,
there's no hard indicator of which portion came from which citation. I've
got something working based on scanning for semicolons, but I worry that's
a little bit fragile and will probably break on certain sets of reference
data.

Is there any good way of mapping portions of the footnote to citation keys?
I was thinking to wrap them in a span with some custom metadata, but I can
only see the citations either before --citeproc (when the footnote doesn't
exist yet) or after (when the multiple citations have already combined).
What would be truly ideal would be the ability to filter the citation
process itself, but I'm assuming since that's from a different library that
it is not exposed to Lua?

Like I said, I have something mostly working now, but any thoughts/advice
would be appreciated.

* AW: Separating multiple citations in generated footnote
       [not found] ` <baf8fe27-c662-4825-981d-b49fb7b38d71n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-05-30  8:14   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]     ` <8ed092b504f248fa984c4284113f68ff-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-05-30  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don’t have a particular suggestion for what you need, but I might be interested in what you already do. could you perhaps share your filters ?

Best,
Denis

[...]

* Re: Separating multiple citations in generated footnote
       [not found] ` <baf8fe27-c662-4825-981d-b49fb7b38d71n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-05-30 13:26   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87wne3cfem.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-05-30 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Shane Liesegang

Shane Liesegang <liesegang-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> What would be truly ideal would be the ability to filter the
> citation process itself, but I'm assuming since that's from a
> different library that it is not exposed to Lua? Like I said, I
> have something mostly working now, but any thoughts/advice would
> be appreciated.

The closest thing is probably the `pandoc.utils.references`
function (added in pandoc 2.17). It gives you access to the
structured reference entries. Theoretically one could write a
custom citation handler by using that function and filtering
`Cite` elements; it might or might not be worth the effort in your
case.

HTH,

Albert

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-05-30 13:42       ` Shane Liesegang
       [not found]         ` <CAD7-qeusumC9zcpbCGbjevJ6J9Vdi4W8YJyTjiTmbR_yk5+mrg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Shane Liesegang @ 2022-05-30 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I haven't made the repository public yet, but would be happy to share a
subset -- is there anything in particular you're interested in, or just
general interest in citation filtering?

@ 2022-05-31  7:08       ` Shane Liesegang
From: Shane Liesegang @ 2022-05-31  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 4:35 PM Albert Krewinkel <albert+pandoc@zeitkraut.de <mailto:albert%2Bpandoc-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>> wrote:

The closest thing is probably the `pandoc.utils.references`
function (added in pandoc 2.17). It gives you access to the
structured reference entries. Theoretically one could write a
custom citation handler by using that function and filtering
`Cite` elements; it might or might not be worth the effort in your
case.

Yeah, I'm making heavy use of that already for my filtering. It works fine for single citations, but I don't want to just totally swallow the existing citation in case it's part of a Cite that has other citations, though. This is what I mean about somehow filtering during citeproc so I could directly replace the emitted elements that form the footnote -- if I could do that I could wrap them in a span, change with greater confidence, etc.

(Sorry for the double-message to Alfred, but accidentally sent this only to him at first.)

@ 2022-05-31  7:24           ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]             ` <873d53586f8b4f968ac667b38da1796c-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-05-31  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

No, I’m not interested in anything in particular. Just general interest.

@ 2022-05-31  8:29               ` Shane Liesegang
       [not found]                 ` <25193173-1E8E-4A2B-81C2-9AB3BBE6DC12-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Shane Liesegang @ 2022-05-31  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Here they are in a gist.

https://gist.github.com/sjml/30b1f0093e48f37408871cc142d3dc12 <https://gist.github.com/sjml/30b1f0093e48f37408871cc142d3dc12>

My program deals a lot with ancient and theological sources and has very specific requirements for how certain citations look. I’m sure at least *some* of this could be done by modifying a CSL (like using “§” instead of “sec.” in the locators), but others are around specific works (like the Summa Theologica) or types of documents (papal encyclicals), and as far as I can tell, CSL doesn’t have that level of conditional processing. (I also speak Lua far better than I do CSL. :) )

What really inspired this question was the institutional abbreviation filters — on a second citation of certain institutional sources, they should be referred to by their abbreviation. But until CSL 1.1, there’s no support for short author names… so I track subsequent mentions, suppress the author, and add in the abbreviation after citeproc has done its work. But when I’m trying to do that insertion into a citation with multiple sources, you see the kind of weirdness I do in that post-filter <https://gist.github.com/sjml/30b1f0093e48f37408871cc142d3dc12#file-post-filter-institutional-abbreviations-lua>. Would be great if I could just look for a Span with an attribute that maps to a citation key or something like that.

@ 2022-05-31  8:59                   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-31  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I have met the problem of adapting CSL to specific requirements too... Although I study History, it seems that we are facing common drawbacks. I defined a set of conventions for the recording of bibliographical entries in Zotero and wrote a sample style. You can find the style and the documentation here: https://zenodo.org/communities/csl-clio/search?page=1&size=20

I don't think that you will want to take it as is, but I hope it could be inspiring. It is in French, but you can retrieve the source of the manual and translate it automatically if you don't read this language.

@ 2022-05-31 11:34                     ` BPJ
       [not found]                       ` <CADAJKhDwb6p9DxUrN-d5Rja6q6cteESc5MBRZBZwkh8dx5UwEw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-05-31 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den tis 31 maj 2022 11:02Bastien DUMONT <bastien.dumont-VwIFZPTo/vqsTnJN9+BGXg@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> I have met the problem of adapting CSL to specific requirements too...
> Although I study History, it seems that we are facing common drawbacks. I
> defined a set of conventions for the recording of bibliographical entries
> in Zotero and wrote a sample style. You can find the style and the
> documentation here:
> https://zenodo.org/communities/csl-clio/search?page=1&size=20
>
> I don't think that you will want to take it as is, but I hope it could be
> inspiring. It is in French, but you can retrieve the source of the manual
> and translate it automatically if you don't read this language.

In the android Chrome app (and I suppose other Chrome versions too) there
is a "Translate page" (or something similar, I have the Swedish version!
:-) item in the ⋮ menu which will translate a page and all linked pages on
the fly. It's Google Translate of course so results may be funny at times
but translation where one of the languages is English usually are passable
for on-the-fly reading — not that it will put me out of translation jobs
anytime soon!

@ 2022-05-31 11:43                         ` BPJ
       [not found]                           ` <CADAJKhCNRMrBE5erg3N2_vj-Y+W3=r-nwjDexzh89TnHTDrC4g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-05-31 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpj; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Ah I see now that they are PDFs, however if you import them into Google
Docs there is a Translate menu item there too somewhere, same caveats
applying, plus that layout formatting may become funny when you import PDF
into Google Docs.

Tip: Not only can you import PDFs into GDocs; you can re-export to docx and
process with pandoc, but it's best to unwrap any multicolumn parts in GDocs
first!

/bpj

@ 2022-05-31 12:33                             ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-31 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

And the sources in our favorite document format can be found here: https://bastien-dumont.onmypc.net/git/bdumont/CSL-Clio :-)

@ 2022-06-01 17:36       ` jcr
       [not found]         ` <d07b4bcd-8431-4fff-8b61-4d482ae382bcn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jcr @ 2022-06-01 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for pointing out the addition of `pandoc.utils.references`. It's
definitely useful. I'll have to look into it the next time I want to do
something special with citations.

I have twice wanted to be able to distinguish individual citations in
`Cite`'s inlines. Once was for the purpose of spell checking. When I cite
sources in multiple languages, I need multi-lingual spell checking. So, in
addition to the document that I will submit, I make ODT with the languages
tagged so that I can spell check in LibreOffice. To spell check the
citations, they need to be appropriately tagged. Because each bibliography
entry has an ID derived from its bibliography key, I can identify them and
give them an appropriate `lang` attribute. But in footnotes, it's not clear
where one citation ends and the next begins, so I can't add a lang
attribute in general. Even if there's just one citation, it could have a
prefix or suffix in the document language. For this, perhaps I could use
`pandoc.utils.references`, tag the principal parts of the citation with the
reference's language, and save the resulting references in the `Pandoc`
element for citeproc.

The second application was for a journal that uses idem instead of
repeating author names. When I decided that an automatic solution was not
practical, I solved the problem manually for the few citations that needed
idem. For this, I would need too be able to identify not only individual
citations, but also the author part of the citation. However, knowing my
CSL style, I could assume that the author is the first element in the
citation proper (after the prefix), or the series of elements that ends
with `SmallCaps`.

@ 2022-06-01 18:43           ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-06-01 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi everyone,

that’s all really interesting stuff here. Would it make sense to collect ideas for additional citation support somewhere?

Best,
Denis