If Pandoc doesn't natively support this scenario, you might consider writing a filter to extract and remove the sidenotes into a separate file/location and write an additional program manipulating the docx Open XML or the Word application object model to merge the sidenotes back in. On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 11:41:58 PM UTC+3 Denis Maier wrote: > Am 13.09.2020 um 21:44 schrieb Leonard Rosenthol: > > Looks like you can - > > https://wordribbon.tips.net/T010668_Adding_Sidebars.html > > > > You can also do text boxes, pull quotes, etc. However, I didn't dig > > into which coudl be done with custom styles and which would require a > > (Lua) filter. But the features are there in DocX if we figure out the > > best way to expose them... > > Well, maybe... but, the link above is about Sidebars, which I understand > as adding arbitray content in the margins. That's not the same thing as > sidenotes, maybe a visual approximation, but I think there won't be any > link between those boxes and the text. There even won't be a note number > in the text unless we add one. And the worst part might be placing those > boxes in the margins. There are some LaTeX packages that go at great > lengths to keep the sidenotes close to the calling location, but also > move them around if need arise, e.g. when the note is called near the > end of a page, or if there are to many notes. (Does pandoc even have > access to these details?) > > Anyway, all that doesn't fundamentally speak against implementing this. > > Just one remark regarding this particular case: The OP wrote he is going > to send his manuscript to his publisher. So I guess the publisher will > do the layout anyway, and I doubt that the typesetter will appreciate a > docx with notes in the margins. (At least I wouldn't.) > > Best, > Denis > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/d0df75c0-437b-48a7-b251-63c3cf087822n%40googlegroups.com.