* Tildas or backticks for fenced code blocks
@ 2022-06-29 17:00 name name
       [not found] ` <64334345-f5c7-4871-b3d0-5911b1d49cb5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: name name @ 2022-06-29 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm new to Pandoc. From what I have read in the manual, it seems the
preferred way to create fenced code blocks is to use tildas, not backticks:

~~~
fenced code block
~~~

What is the exact reason for this?

* Re: Tildas or backticks for fenced code blocks
       [not found] ` <64334345-f5c7-4871-b3d0-5911b1d49cb5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-29 17:43   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87a69vbbar.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-29 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

name name <ivan20151013-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm new to Pandoc. From what I have read in the manual, it seems the
> preferred way to create fenced code blocks is to use tildas, not
> backticks:
>
>    ~~~
>    fenced code block
>    ~~~
>
> What is the exact reason for this?

I believe that fenced code blocks where first introduced in pandoc with
syntax using tildes; other tools then followed suit, but used the
now-popular backticks syntax. At least I seem to remember reading
something along these lines, but I might be completely wrong.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-06-29 21:44       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m235fnywju.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-06-29 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Krewinkel, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That is right.  I discussed the idea on the old markdown-discuss
listserv with other markdown implementers at the time, and we
agreed on tildes.

I believe that at least pandoc and PHP markdown implemented this
syntax.

Then GitHub came out with their own fenced code block syntax
using backticks (without discussing this or even perhaps being
aware of the tilde syntax).  This isn't ideal, really, because it
introduces a syntactic ambiguity between inline code and code
blocks, but it has a certain naturalness, and doesn't require
pressing the shift key.  At any rate, it caught on, so pandoc
allowed this form too.  I think the tilde form is rarely used
any more.

@ 2022-07-05 15:50           ` John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2022-07-05 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I use the tildes because I think they look better. They're vertically in the middle of the glyph.

Backticks are too high up, and so at the top of the fenced block look like they're floating too high up, and at the bottom are cuddled up too tight. They also make it harder to see where leading or trailing blank lines are.

-- John