* Possible bugs in the markdown to PDF via lualatex conversion process for bilingual documents
@ 2022-02-08  8:42 R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
       [not found] ` <b865ce6f-aa23-a1f0-b5f7-35601791d215-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar @ 2022-02-08  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am writing a bilingual test file for English and Tamil in the same
markdown document to yield a PDF via lualatex and babel. The file, which
correctly gives HTML and epub outputs,  is:

```
---
title: "Bilingual Test for LuaLaTeX and Babel: English and Tamil"
lang: en-GB
---

This is English.

{\sffamily This is also English.}

இது தமிழ்.

{\sffamily இதுவும் தமிழ்.}

:::{lang=ta}
இது கூட தமிழ் தான்.
:::

Back to English and EOF.
```

The included `babel-in-header.tex` file is:

```
% babel-in-header.textsf
\babelfont{rm}[Scale=1.0,Language=Default,BoldFont={* SemiBold}]{Noto Serif}
\babelfont{sf}[Language=Default,BoldFont={* SemiBold}]{Noto Sans}
\babelfont[tamil]{rm}[Language=Default]{Noto Serif Tamil}
\babelfont[tamil]{sf}[Language=Default]{Noto Sans Tamil}
\babelprovide[import,onchar=ids fonts]{tamil}
\defaultfontfeatures{Scale=MatchLowercase,Ligatures=TeX,Renderer=HarfBuzz}
\thispagestyle{empty}
```

The compilation command is:

pandoc --from markdown --to latex --include-in-header
babel-in-header.tex --standalone --output en-ta-test.tex en-ta-test.md

I find that the generated .tex file cannot be compiled to PDF because
there appear to be two errors, which might be bugs:

1. The \babelfont commands appear _before_ the \usepackage{babel}
invocation in the .tex file because of a commented requirement for
polyglossia, which I am not using. As a result, I get an

```
! Undefined control sequence.
l.59 \babelfont
              {rm}[Scale=1.0,Language=Default,BoldFont={*
SemiBold}]{Noto Serif}
```

error with lualatex.

2. If I manually transpose the \babelfont commands inserted by the
`babel-in-header.tex` file to appear _after_ the babel invocation but
before \title in the .tex file, I get this error:

```
! Package babel Error: Unknown option 'tamil'. Either you misspelled it
(babel)                or the language definition file tamil.ldf was not
found.

See the babel package documentation for explanation.
```

3. If I remove `tamil,` from the babel invocation,

```
\usepackage[tamil,main=british]{babel}
```

I am able to compile with lualatex, using the same command as before,
and get the expected PDF, as shown in the attached screenshot.

I realize that both pandoc and the babel package are under development,
and are therefore moving targets.

Nevertheless, I believe these are bugs in the markdown to latex
conversion process and point them out so that they may be corrected or
circumvented, automatically rather than manually, from the pandoc end.

Thanks.

Chandra

[-- Attachment #2: bilingual.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 35255 bytes --]

* Re: Possible bugs in the markdown to PDF via lualatex conversion process for bilingual documents
       [not found] ` <b865ce6f-aa23-a1f0-b5f7-35601791d215-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-02-08 21:34   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <yh480kbkzhm4a2.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-02-08 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar, pandoc-discuss

Let us know what version of pandoc you're using.
There have been extensive changes recently that might be
relevant (we no longer use polyglossia, but of course
it's possible that something relating to our old polyglossia
support was left in the template...).

@ 2023-02-09 17:27       ` Clément Aubert
       [not found]         ` <017f0e7b-dd57-452b-95b4-f89c655d39ben-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Clément Aubert @ 2023-02-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I may have found a similar bug, but find it *very hard* to understand its
exact causes.

In a rather long document, I have the following options in my YAML:

---
documentclass: scrbook
mainfont: texgyretermes
mainfontoptions:
- Path=fonts/
- Extension=.otf
- UprightFont=*-regular
- BoldFont=*-bold
- ItalicFont=*-italic
- BoldItalicFont=*-BoldItalic
fontsize: 12pt
---

Now, some combination of LaTeX packages (or something else?) that I load
makes pandoc output, in the .tex document

\ifLuaTeX
\usepackage[bidi=basic]{babel}
\else
\usepackage[bidi=default]{babel}
\fi
\babelprovide[main,import]{english}
\ifPDFTeX
\else
\babelfont[english]{rm}{texgyretermes}
\fi

When I compile said document with XeLaTeX, I get

kpathsea: Running mktextfm TeXGyreTermes/OT

but that font is not found, and hence I get the error

Package fontspec Error: The font "TeXGyreTermes" cannot be found.
\babel@aux{english}{}

If I replace

\babelfont[english]{rm}{texgyretermes}

with

\babelfont[english]{rm}{fonts/texgyretermes-regular.otf}

then the document can be compiled.

Is this a bug?

I am using the latest version,
pandoc 3.0.1
Features: +server +lua
Scripting engine: Lua 5.4
User data directory: /home/caubert/.local/share/pandoc
Copyright (C) 2006-2023 John MacFarlane. Web:  https://pandoc.org
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is no
warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Best,
And thanks,
Clément.

@ 2023-02-09 17:55           ` Clément Aubert