* Equation labels/references when converting from latex to markdown/other
@ 2021-06-28 18:06 Ian Price
       [not found] ` <733e0d35-b1c4-4380-bf9f-7d6523c55162n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ian Price @ 2021-06-28 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,
My university is looking into the options for converting various notes,
exercises sheets, presentations, etc. from latex generated pdf into a more
accessible format. This basically means converting to html + mathjax
because this tends to work better for screen readers. Converting beamer
seems to be impossible, but for notes pandoc (and some others like latexml)
is generally giving good output, however the major issue is cross
referencing between text and maths blocks.

In short, mathjax can handle internal links from maths blocks to other
maths blocks, and pandoc can handle links to other parts of pandoc
documents, except when a document makes specific reference to an equation.
For example, suppose we have the following mwe.tex cut out from some
electromagnetism notes
---
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{equation}
J \equiv \frac{dI}{da_{\perp}} =  \rho v.
\label{volume-current-density}
\end{equation}
The total current crossing a surface $S$ can be calculated by integrating
Eq. (\ref{volume-current-density}):
\end{document}
---
When converted to markdown, we get the following
---
$$J \equiv \frac{dI}{da_{\perp}} =  \rho v.
\label{volume-current-density}$$

The total current crossing a surface $S$ can be calculated by
integrating Eq.
([\[volume-current-density\]](#volume-current-density){reference-type="ref"
reference="volume-current-density"}):
---
The link to the label volume-current-density is clearly broken and when I
get my html file it does nothing in particular.

One solution I've seen is to convert the label references to the syntax
used by, e.g., pandoc-crossref, but this involves me editing the markdown
by hand. Is there an automatic way to convert these?