* output text between beamer frames in pandoc 2.7?
@ 2019-04-15 19:42 Andrew Goldstone
       [not found] ` <d9ef33cc-d890-4ebb-8756-831909f2adab-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Andrew Goldstone @ 2019-04-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello--I am wondering if there is any way to get pandoc -t beamer to output
text _between_ frames with pandoc 2.7. This used to be possible, but with
the new way of treating content underneath headers above the slide level,
it appears not to be.

Here's the background.  I want to generate slides and a script for myself
from a single file; the script should include both slide material and
paragraphs of text to read out.  (People in my line of work often read out
talks rather than speaking from notes.) In beamer LaTeX, this is possible
by putting the script text between frames; the slides are generated with
`beamer` class option
`ignorenonframetext`, and the script is generated with the `article` class
and
`\usepackage{beamerarticle}`. Before pandoc 2.7, it was possible to write
markdown for this as follows:

    ## slide

    - slide stuff

    #

    Here is the script to read out.

    ## next slide

    - slide stuff

(I had two tweaked templates, one for the slides and one for the script,
and I set the slide level to 2 explicitly with the call to pandoc.) The
"Here is the script..." text would not appear in the slides but it would
appear in article mode. This trick also made it possible to use beamer
mode-switching with \mode<...> to make some material presentation-only or
script-only.

pandoc 2.7 now creates a slide to put "Here is the script..." on. And it
prevents some \mode<...> tricks since you can't get a mode switch in
between frames.

Is there any workaround? (Presenter notes with `::: notes` or `\note{}` are
not a good substitute in my view---they are good for a different purpose.)

Many thanks for any help anyone can give! Yours in document conversion,
Andrew