Thank you for your response, John. Upon closer inspection, I think my initial assumptions were incorrect. I thought pandoc had found a command/environment that it didn't understand, but now it seems more obscure. I ran pandoc with this command: "pandoc File.tex -t json --verbose" and got the following output ``` (lots of messages about Skipped and Parsing unescaped '&') [INFO] Skipped '\bottomrule' at line 1849 column 16 [INFO] Skipped '\begin{tabular}' at line 1823 column 18 [INFO] Skipped '\end{tabular}' at line 1850 column 16 [INFO] Skipped '\subexperiment{SAP}' at line 1854 column 20 Error at "source" (line 1855, column 12): unexpected [ Additional details are found in the following paragraphs. ^ ``` The carrot should point to the d in details. So I'm not sure why pandoc found what it thought was an "unexpected [". I couldn't find a bracket in the preceding few dozen lines, but I did find one in the few lines afterwards. Does the message mean something obscure? Thanks for your help. Jeremy $ pandoc --version pandoc 2.10 Compiled with pandoc-types 1.21, texmath 0.12.0.2, skylighting 0.8.5 Default user data directory: /Users/jlconlin/.local/share/pandoc or /Users/jlconlin/.pandoc Copyright (C) 2006-2020 John MacFarlane Web: https://pandoc.org This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is no warranty, not even for merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. On Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 6:50:28 PM UTC-6 John MacFarlane wrote: > > It really depends on the details of the document, but if > pandoc is struggling with certain commands and environments, > one approach is to define custom macros for those, which > convert them into something pandoc can handle. > > (In a few cases you might get away with just putting the .sty > file in the working directory, so pandoc tries to parse it, > but pandoc usually can't handle the lower-level tex definitions > style files have, so this usually doesn't work.) > > For example, if you have a foobar command, just > add this to your document > > \renewcommand{foobar}[2]{limit yourself > here to stuff pandoc can handle} > > You can often get pretty far with this method. > > Jeremy Conlin writes: > > > I have a large (900 page) LaTeX document (broken up into several LaTeX > > files) that I want to convert into restructured text. I've already tried > to > > use pandoc to convert some of the files and it has failed for a few > > reasons. > > > > I'm a new pandoc user, but I figure I'm going to have to write my own > > converter. Before I do, I wanted to ask this forum what the right way to > > approach the conversion. I was planning on reading everything into > Python, > > do my own search/replace and then pass the result on to pandoc. I would > > then rinse/repeat until I have everything the way I want it. > > > > I know there are filters and such that I can write to customize things, > but > > (as a beginner) I'm not sure if it would be easier to learn pandoc > syntax > > and write my own filter, or just go at it in Python as I described above. > > > > I don't mind doing it either way; I think it might be a fun side project > to > > do when I'm procrastinating doing what I really should be doing. > > > > Please advise on what is the right approach. I'm sure there are other > > approaches too that I'm not aware of. I'm open for suggestions. > > > > Thanks, > > Jeremy > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org > > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/9c40cd2c-9874-446b-8772-c8a99e377acan%40googlegroups.com > . > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/d8e598ff-e975-420d-baee-523f9ab38e35n%40googlegroups.com.