Thanks everybody. I understand better how this works. The thing I still find awkward is that I can treat the quotes as semantic markup only for some output formats. It works that way for Context. And for LaTeX with csquotes, and HTML with q tags (and custom CSS). But for LaTeX without csquotes, html without q tags, or ODT (for example) a double quote in my source is a double quote in my output and no language setting will change it. For example, with LaTeX: 'foo' -> Quoted SingleQuote [ Str "foo" ] -> `foo' "bar" -> Quoted DoubleQuote [ Str "bar" ] -> ``bar'' On Wednesday, 2 August 2023 at 22:26:53 UTC+2 Pablo Rodríguez wrote: On 8/2/23 20:54, Thomas Hodgson wrote: > Correct me if I'm wrong, but here is how I think it works now: > > 'foo' -> Quoted SingleQuote [ Str "foo" ] -> \quote{foo} > "bar" -> Quoted DoubleQuote [ Str "bar" ] -> \quotation{bar} > > My suggestion is that if the language is British (and maybe for some > other varieties, I haven't checked) the result should be: > > 'foo' -> Quoted SingleQuote [ Str "foo" ] -> \quotation{foo} > "bar" -> Quoted DoubleQuote [ Str "bar" ] -> \quote{bar} > > That would avoid my problem. After having using ConTeXt for more than a decade (mainly without pandoc), I think this is an issue with ConTeXt, not with pandoc. Quotes or quotation marks aren’t set in stone. I mean, for Spanish and any language with diacritical marks I would never use these “quotes”, but these «ones» (either single or double). They don’t interfere with the marks (such as “ñandú” and «ñandú»). I’m not a native speaker and I’m mainly exposed to US English. If British English uses double quotes for \quotation and single quotes for \quote, you could do the following: Either you suggest to change the default in ConTeXt itself, or you place a file that includes the following in your local tree: \setuplanguage[en-gb][ leftquotation=“, rightquotation=”, leftquote=‘, rightquote=’, ] I don’t have myself TeX Live installed (I use a pure ConTeXt distribution) and in my case the file is "$HOME/texmf/texmf-local/cont-loc.mkxl". If you are on Windows, it would read "%USERPROFILE%/texmf/texmf-local/cont-loc.mkxl". After creating the file and saving the contents, it might be wise to clean the cache and generate it again. "mtxrun --scripts cache --erase && mtxrun --generate" does this in part. After that, the next compilation would take longer, since it will have to create the format file (required by ConTeXt). Just in case it helps, Pablo -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/d9bcf5be-c7f3-4225-ab9e-0d4cdc8de1e6n%40googlegroups.com.