You can check out the sidenotes package (https://www.ctan.org/pkg/sidenotes), which is fairly new (wasn't 1.0 when I started looking into this). That might do what you want. I agree, the strength of Tufte-ian design is in the intelligent use of the margin (though tufte credits Feyman for this layout style). For my case I found my captions required much more space in order to fully explain the methods involved in generating the data in each figure, so I actually needed a larger margin for many figures. Whenever I have full-page-wide figures the caption is also just several full-page wide lines of text, since i have detailed captions. Since I really don't put too much "interstitial text" between figures in my handouts, I decided to just designating the caption position and figure width on a figure by figure basis. The resulting handouts work great for small group discussions about primary data - big clear plots, explanatory legends, numbered figures, numbered pages, a date and title at the front and nothing else. good luck! On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 12:11:16 AM UTC-5, Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo wrote: > > Thanks for the writer Chris, > > I reached the conclusion that the easiest solution would be not to mess > with the tufte class. Its main advantage seems to be the rational use of > space. Tufte's design allows for packing information in a clever way, which > is to say that whenever tables and figures exists in the document, they > will take less space, whereas the amount of words per page is about the > same of a tall (regular) latex article page. In my non-scientific tests, > the difference was of about 15% space saved in heavily image or table > packed documents. The difference is not big, if that would be the sole > reason to use that design. I totally see why the R-team is insisting on > that, as it is actually super useful to present graphs and tables. > > Why would one need to save space? Some organizations in certain > circumstances require a limited number of pages (talking about funders, > sponsorships, which are the type of org that I deal with), sometimes the > 15% more material can help you convey your findings better. The confort of > reading a pdf in tufte's design is about the same as a well rendered latex > document, as it keeps the number of words per line in the 60-80 mark > depending on the font size. > > Another strenght of tufte's design is that fullwidth figures allows for > complex images to take more space than the actual text. The reader will be > presented with a larger image to inspect, that could help in seeing the > details, and so on. > > So in the end, the true advantage of tufte's design is not in the fonts, > or the fancy headings, or titling. The strength is on the larger margin > where you can put notes and figure captions; and in the fullwidth > environment. > > These might be easy to achieve w/o even messing with the document class; > floatrow package seems a great candidate to help achieving the aim of a > "tuftesque" document in the sense described above. I will investigate > whether it can mimic some of the design aspects mentioned, and started by > this > > question at SO. > > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/da6bd44f-1996-4f7f-a32c-3ce94e3051e5%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.