* Pandoc install on Mojave OS
@ 2019-02-02  2:23 jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found] ` <ee13f2a3-4a7a-4123-9d21-ec34213a973e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w @ 2019-02-02  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I installed pandoc using the 2.6 macOS.pkg. The installation seemed to go
perfectly fine and completed successfully, but in the terminal (which I
have reset) there is no pandoc. I am a noob to this whole ecosystem, but I
can't figure out why it's not working. Is there another way that I should
be installing this package?

* Re: Pandoc install on Mojave OS
       [not found] ` <ee13f2a3-4a7a-4123-9d21-ec34213a973e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-02-02  3:46   ` Daniel Staal
       [not found]     ` <723de4c4-5ced-30b9-2d3f-5ae9eab8b24d-Jdbf3xiKgS8@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniel Staal @ 2019-02-02  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2/1/19 9:23 PM, jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:
> I installed pandoc using the 2.6 macOS.pkg. The installation seemed to
> go perfectly fine and completed successfully, but in the terminal (which
> I have reset) there is no pandoc. I am a noob to this whole ecosystem,
> but I can't figure out why it's not working. Is there another way that I
> should be installing this package?

That should be the correct way, and worked for me.

Can you try this in the terminal and tell us what happens:
/usr/local/bin/pandoc -v

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

@ 2019-02-02  5:26   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2womin4kp.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-02-02  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w, pandoc-discuss

Could be that don't have /usr/local/bin in your path.

echo $PATH will tell you that.  IF it's not there, you
can fix this by adding the following line to the file
.bashrc in your home directory:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

@ 2019-02-02 22:40       ` jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]         ` <58dd6940-0e03-48a0-b42b-6d748982e25a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w @ 2019-02-02 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

## Can you try this in the terminal and tell us what happens:
## /usr/local/bin/pandoc -v

this command gave a permission denied message :(

@ 2019-02-02 22:43       ` jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w
From: jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w @ 2019-02-02 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

PATH seems to checkout, but thanks

@ 2019-02-02 23:19           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2o97tn5hy.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-02-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w, pandoc-discuss

What do these tell you?

ls -l /usr/local/bin/pandoc

ls -ld /usr/local/bin

@ 2019-02-02 23:30               ` jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                 ` <d8befbed-1b70-4c08-9c8d-20833f1f9cef-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w @ 2019-02-02 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 6:19:21 PM UTC-5, John MacFarlane wrote:

> What do these tell you?
>
> ls -l /usr/local/bin/pandoc

Permission denied

@ 2019-02-03  3:35                   ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2019-02-03  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2/2/19 6:30 PM, jwalter-GeJbg9m2jcQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:

> On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 6:19:21 PM UTC-5, John MacFarlane wrote:
>

>     What do these tell you?
>
>     ls -l /usr/local/bin/pandoc
>

> Permission denied
>

>     ls -ld /usr/local/bin
>
> drwx-------- etc

You've got something seriously messed up in your OS install.  Try
running First Aid on it from Disk Utility.  If that doesn't work, I'd
actually recommend a reinstall - though for this issue itself you could
just fix the permissions on this one directory.

(Fixing this itself isn't necessarily hard - but if you've got low-level
issues like this here, I have to worry about what other issues you might
have.  Oh, and I'd have been really interested in the rest of that line
on the second - this is enough to show it's wrong, but the rest is
important info as well.  It's always best to post full output when
responding to requests for info like this - you don't know what the
requester is looking for.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.