* `\includepdf{...}` raw LaTeX massively scaled down in PDF output by adding `![](image)` to Markdown
@ 2016-04-17  2:19 kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <a632a733-60a7-4996-9ad5-4600d9d8da0c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-04-17  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I’ve just submitted a bug report (#2856)

*“If Markdown input contains image, then \includepdf{some.pdf} output
scales down far too much.”*
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2856

I have an MWE (minimally working -- i.e. showing the buggy behavior --
example) attached to the report there.

The problem is:

   1. If I use *only* \includepdf{some.pdf} LaTeX snippets within my
   Markdown, then PDF output is fine.
   2. As soon as I add one ![](some-image.format) Markdown statement to my
   file, the previously good some.pdf content gets massively scaled down.

My current workaround is to use ![](some.pdf) to get my external PDF
content in, but for me this is a crutch only, for various reasons (one
reason is that I cannot add Table-of-Contents entries for the
PDFs-included-as-images as I can do when using \includepdf{...}).

Does anyone know a better workaround?

Is this bug report better addressed to LaTeX developers?
​

* Re: `\includepdf{...}` raw LaTeX massively scaled down in PDF output by adding `![](image)` to Markdown
       [not found] ` <a632a733-60a7-4996-9ad5-4600d9d8da0c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-04-17 13:25   ` kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss
From: kurt.pfeifle via pandoc-discuss @ 2016-04-17 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 4:19:37 AM UTC+2, kurt.p…@googlemail.com wrote:

I’ve just submitted a bug report (#2856)

> *“If Markdown input contains image, then \includepdf{some.pdf} output
> scales down far too much.”*
> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2856
>
> I have an MWE (minimally working -- i.e. showing the buggy behavior --
> example) attached to the report there.
>
> The problem is:
>
>    1. If I use *only* \includepdf{some.pdf} LaTeX snippets within my
>    Markdown, then PDF output is fine.
>    2. As soon as I add one ![](some-image.format) Markdown statement to
>    my file, the previously good some.pdf content gets massively scaled
>    down.
>
> My current workaround is to use ![](some.pdf) to get my external PDF
> content in, but for me this is a crutch only, for various reasons (one
> reason is that I cannot add Table-of-Contents entries for the
> PDFs-included-as-images as I can do when using \includepdf{...}).
>
> Does anyone know a better workaround?
>
> Is this bug report better addressed to LaTeX developers?

I added a some more details in a comment there.

Most important item: There is a line 37 in the LaTeX generated by Pandoc,
which reads

\setkeys{Gin}{width=\maxwidth,height=\maxheight,keepaspectratio}

If I comment this line out, the LaTeX still compiles, and the included PDF
figure is no longer mini-mini-mini. (It is scaled to the full page width
instead, not honoring any page margin. The pixel image placement and
scaling also ignores margin now.)

To me this looks like some recent change to Pandoc's LaTeX output (via a
changed template) may be the cause. So this can possibly be fixed by
replacing this line with some better code.

​

​

@ 2016-04-20  7:47 ` Ulrike Fischer
       [not found]   ` <16afpmc7j9mzp.dlg-bMiYgyzgJ3Ab1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-04-20  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am Sat, 16 Apr 2016 19:19:37 -0700 (PDT) schrieb kurt.pfeifle via
pandoc-discuss:

> I’ve just submitted a bug report (#2856)
>
> *“If Markdown input contains image, then \includepdf{some.pdf} output
> scales down far too much.”*
> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2856

> Is this bug report better addressed to LaTeX developers?

I forwarded it to the pgfpages author and he will adapt the package
so that it handles this better (pdfpages should reset width and
height at the start).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/