* Possible Pandoc development - Inline footnote output format for markdown
@ 2023-10-21  9:13 tri...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <280d8b25-dbf8-4fab-b096-e5d6dc5342fcn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: tri...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2023-10-21  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Pandoc can read both Markdown reference footnotes and inline footnotes, but
is only able to write reference footnotes when producing a Markdown file.

Is it possible to enable Pandoc to write inline footnotes in Markdown?

Last year i received help in converting reference footnotes to inline
footnotes from Christophe Demko, who produced a combination of a Lua filter
and sed editor code which enabled me to convert reference footnotes to
inline.  I'm very grateful to Christophe for this facility.

(See https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/_5-8TRJhhqo/m/NDvoWc-XAQAJ
)

I would like to know whether it would be possible for Pandoc to directly
support the writing of inline footnotes. Could this be a future development?

Many thanks,

'ö-Dzin

* Re: Possible Pandoc development - Inline footnote output format for markdown
       [not found] ` <280d8b25-dbf8-4fab-b096-e5d6dc5342fcn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-10-21 16:57   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <D3C797FF-7075-4D22-9F3D-04F2EFD79756-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-10-21 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Not all footnotes can be inline -- inline footnotes can't contain block-level formatting.
That's why we use reference notes in the writer.

In principle it would be possible to add an option that uses inline notes when possible
(not always), but I'd prefer not to: I don't think the additional complexity is
worth it in this case.

@ 2023-10-24 14:41       ` tri...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
From: tri...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2023-10-24 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss