* reveal-is question about consecutive headings
@ 2016-03-25 20:10 John Muccigrosso
       [not found] ` <854d59af-a6da-4abb-9028-51b435715d5e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2016-03-25 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've just started using reveal.js to do some slideshows and I've noticed
that it doesn't always do what I expect when there are headings without
intervening text. I often have this as I'm working something up. For
example, this text:

# Minimal test

## Level 2

text

### Level 3

Here's the text.
yields the following expected html:

<section><section id="minimal-test" class="titleslide slide level1"><h1>Minimal
test</h1></section><section id="level-2" class="slide level2">
<h1>Level 2</h1>
<h3 id="level-3">Level 3</h3>
</section></section>

But when I remove the intervening text between the two lower-level headings:
# Minimal test

## Level 2

### Level 3

Here's the text.

I get this:

<section><section id="minimal-test" class="titleslide slide level1"><h1>Minimal
test</h1></section><section><section id="level-2" class="titleslide slide
level2"><h1>Level 2</h1></section><section id="level-3" class="slide level3"

<h1>Level 3</h1>

If I understand this correctly, the intended level-3 heading got turned
into a level-1 heading because the slide level is 3 and that level heading
always gets h1 in the html. (That h1 is also bigger than the h1 for the
"Level 2" text, but that's the css…even if I don't understand why.)

If I add another slide in which the level-2 heading is followed by text,
thus making the slide level 2, then pandoc recognizes that the slide level
is 2 and the level-3 heading is a smaller h3 again, as expected. But if I
just add "slide-level=3" in the simpler example, nothing changes. I'd have
expected that to look like it does when I add the second slide which makes
the slide-level 2.

Am I missing something? Is this maybe too unrealistic a case to worry about?

* Re: reveal-is question about consecutive headings
       [not found] ` <854d59af-a6da-4abb-9028-51b435715d5e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-03-25 20:30   ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]     ` <20160325203028.GE524-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-03-25 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ John Muccigrosso [Mar 25 16 13:10 ]:
>   I've just started using reveal.js to do some slideshows and I've
>   noticed that it doesn't always do what I expect when there are headings
>   without intervening text. I often have this as I'm working something
>   up. For example, this text:
>   # Minimal test
>   ## Level 2
>   text
>   ### Level 3
>   Here's the text.
>   yields the following expected html:
>   <section><section id="minimal-test" class="titleslide slide
>   level1"><h1>Minimal test</h1></section><section id="level-2"
>   class="slide level2">
>   <h1>Level 2</h1>
>   <h3 id="level-3">Level 3</h3>
>   </section></section>
>   But when I remove the intervening text between the two lower-level
>   headings:
>   # Minimal test
>   ## Level 2
>   ### Level 3
>   Here's the text.
>   I get this:
>   <section><section id="minimal-test" class="titleslide slide
>   level1"><h1>Minimal test</h1></section><section><section id="level-2"
>   class="titleslide slide level2"><h1>Level 2</h1></section><section
>   id="level-3" class="slide level3">
>   <h1>Level 3</h1>
>   If I understand this correctly, the intended level-3 heading got turned
>   into a level-1 heading because the slide level is 3 and that level
>   heading always gets h1 in the html. (That h1 is also bigger than the h1
>   for the "Level 2" text, but that's the css…even if I don't understand
>   why.)
>   If I add another slide in which the level-2 heading is followed by
>   text, thus making the slide level 2, then pandoc recognizes that the
>   slide level is 2 and the level-3 heading is a smaller h3 again, as
>   expected. But if I just add "slide-level=3" in the simpler example,
>   nothing changes. I'd have expected that to look like it does when I add
>   the second slide which makes the slide-level 2.
>   Am I missing something? Is this maybe too unrealistic a case to worry
>   about?

I think you're understanding things okay.  Note that the
slide level affects how the content gets chopped up into
slides.  Adding a class "slide level3" to a header won't
affect how the content is divided into slides.

@ 2016-03-26  4:06       ` John Muccigrosso
       [not found]         ` <a824a5b6-0e87-4067-8d9d-067fc46caf1c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2016-03-26  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 4:30:42 PM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> I think you're understanding things okay.  Note that the
> slide level affects how the content gets chopped up into
> slides.  Adding a class "slide level3" to a header won't
> affect how the content is divided into slides.

What I did was add the slide-level option to pandoc as "-V slide-level=3",
thinking that that would have the effect I needed, but instead it seemed to
do nothing.

@ 2016-03-26  5:16           ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]             ` <20160326051649.GE3528-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-03-26  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ John Muccigrosso [Mar 25 16 21:06 ]:
>   On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 4:30:42 PM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:
>
>     I think you're understanding things okay.  Note that the
>     slide level affects how the content gets chopped up into
>     slides.  Adding a class "slide level3" to a header won't
>     affect how the content is divided into slides.
>
>   What I did was add the slide-level option to pandoc as "-V
>   slide-level=3", thinking that that would have the effect I needed, but
>   instead it seemed to do nothing.

There is a command line option:  --slide-level=3

@ 2016-03-26 14:53               ` John Muccigrosso
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2016-03-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss