* help with command to use latex template
@ 2022-02-08  2:32 ` -william-
       [not found]   ` <2cc84802-8c88-4447-9840-6d64e3305878n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: -william- @ 2022-02-08  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

MacOS 12.2
TexShop v.4.68

I have a template.tex file created in the xelatex program. It is located at
/.local/share/pandoc/templates/template.tex. I want pandoc to convert
document.docx to document.pdf, using that template.tex. I can't get my
commands to work.

- ***command*** pandoc document.docx -f docx -t pdf
 --pdf-engine=/Users/<home>/Library/TeXShop/Engines/xelatex.engine
--template=/Users/<home>/.local/share/pandoc/templates/template.tex -o
document.pdf
- ***result*** Error producing PDF.  ! End of file on the terminal... why?

- ***command*** pandoc document.docx -f docx -t pdf -o document.pdf
--template=/Users/<home>/.local/share/pandoc/templates/template.tex
--pdf-engine=xelatex
- ***result*** Error producing PDF. ! Latex Error: Missing \begin{document}.

- ***command*** pandoc document.docx --pdf-engine=xelatex -o document.pdf
--template=/Users/<home>/.local/share/pandoc/templates/template.tex
- ***result*** Error producing PDF. ! Latex Error: Missing \begin{document}.

What command do I have to give pandoc to make the conversion?

Thanks in advance for help.

* Re: help with command to use latex template
       [not found]   ` <2cc84802-8c88-4447-9840-6d64e3305878n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-02-08  8:32     ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-02-08  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You get a TeX error, not a "file not found" one, so the problem lies in your template (maybe a brace that is not closed). After you have fixed it, don't forget to remove document.aux if it exists before launching the conversion again.

@ 2022-02-08 10:34     ` Joost
       [not found]       ` <e39e6776-ba80-49ec-8ebc-3df926f38754-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost @ 2022-02-08 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jan Ulrich Hasecke'

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022, at 03:32, -william- wrote:
> MacOS 12.2
> TexShop v.4.68
>
> I have a template.tex file created in the xelatex program.

Note that the tex template that pandoc uses is *not* a normal .tex file. It's a template file with a format that's specific to pandoc. See <https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#template-syntax> for details.

That being said, using pandoc won't give you the most faithful conversion to pdf of your docx document. Word itself can convert to pdf and IIUC Acrobat can do so, as well. Using Powershell on Windows, it's also possible to script the conversion so you don't have to open the file in Word and convert manually.

But perhaps you already know all that and have good reasons to use Pandoc. :-)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2022-02-09 20:24         ` -william-
       [not found]           ` <df05ff5e-3f6c-4056-9198-2f26165d6cd4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: -william- @ 2022-02-09 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, but I still need help. I created another template using the xelatex
engine. Typeset console shows "preloaded format=xelatex."  I selected TeX
and DVI to typeset it. There were no problems, and the PDF Viewer showed me
exactly what I asked for.

When I ask Pandoc to use ***my*** template--not pandoc's default
template--it gives me an error , and states: You must change your
typesetting engine to, e.g., "xelatex" or "lualatex" instead of "latex" or
"pdflatex".

I ***did*** use xelatex; I did ***not*** use latex or pdflatex. So, it
seems to me that Pandoc does not recognize my template. How do I get Pandoc
to use my template?

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 2:35:18 AM UTC-8 Joost wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2022, at 03:32, -william- wrote:
> > MacOS 12.2
> > TexShop v.4.68
> >
> > I have a template.tex file created in the xelatex program.
>
> Note that the tex template that pandoc uses is *not* a normal .tex file.
> It's a template file with a format that's specific to pandoc. See <
> https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#template-syntax> for details.
>
> That being said, using pandoc won't give you the most faithful conversion
> to pdf of your docx document. Word itself can convert to pdf and IIUC
> Acrobat can do so, as well. Using Powershell on Windows, it's also possible
> to script the conversion so you don't have to open the file in Word and
> convert manually.
>
> But perhaps you already know all that and have good reasons to use Pandoc.
> :-)
>

> --
> Joost Kremers
> Life has its moments

* Re: help with command to use latex template
       [not found]           ` <df05ff5e-3f6c-4056-9198-2f26165d6cd4n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-02-09 21:13             ` Bastien DUMONT
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-02-09 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Again, it is a TeX error, and it definitely says that you are not using xelatex. The template, in itself, does not determine what engine you use. Did you specify --pdf-engine=xelatex in the call for pandoc?

Le Wednesday 09 February 2022 à 12:24:30PM, -william- a écrit :
> Thanks, but I still need help. I created another template using the xelatex
> engine. Typeset console shows "preloaded format=xelatex."  I selected TeX and
> DVI to typeset it. There were no problems, and the PDF Viewer showed me exactly
> what I asked for.
>
> When I ask Pandoc to use **my** template--not pandoc's default template--it
> gives me an error , and states: You must change your typesetting engine to,
> e.g., "xelatex" or "lualatex" instead of "latex" or "pdflatex".
>
> I **did** use xelatex; I did **not** use latex or pdflatex. So, it seems to me
> that Pandoc does not recognize my template. How do I get Pandoc to use my
> template?
>
> On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 2:35:18 AM UTC-8 Joost wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 8 Feb 2022, at 03:32, -william- wrote:
>     > MacOS 12.2
>     > TexShop v.4.68
>     >
>     > I have a template.tex file created in the xelatex program.
>
>     Note that the tex template that pandoc uses is *not* a normal .tex file.
>     It's a template file with a format that's specific to pandoc. See <[1]
>     https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#template-syntax> for details.
>
>     That being said, using pandoc won't give you the most faithful conversion
>     to pdf of your docx document. Word itself can convert to pdf and IIUC
>     Acrobat can do so, as well. Using Powershell on Windows, it's also possible
>     to script the conversion so you don't have to open the file in Word and
>     convert manually.
>
>     But perhaps you already know all that and have good reasons to use Pandoc.
>     :-)
>

>     --
>     Joost Kremers
>     Life has its moments
>
> --
> pandoc-discuss/df05ff5e-3f6c-4056-9198-2f26165d6cd4n%40googlegroups.com.

> [1] https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#template-syntax
> [3] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/df05ff5e-3f6c-4056-9198-2f26165d6cd4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

* AW: help with command to use latex template
@ 2022-02-09 21:27               ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                 ` <54b35bcd47d04625ab901f582fffe878-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-02-09 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Can you share your template?

@ 2022-02-09 21:29                   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]                     ` <df701d33c112402f9871ccf73a63bf3e-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-02-09 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

By the way, what do you mean with you typeset your template? How do you do that?

@ 2022-02-10  2:12               ` -william-
From: -william- @ 2022-02-10  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Bastien,

I made this call: pandoc 1Letter.docx -f docx -t pdf --pdf-engine=xelatex
--template=/Users/<home>/.local/share/pandoc/templates/equity.tex -o
3EELetter.pdf

In return, "Error producing PDF." Nothing more. I am going to post my
template below, in reply to denis.

Thanks for helping.
-william-

@ 2022-02-10  2:14                   ` -william-
       [not found]                     ` <25cb0f4b-b169-4365-a727-e6f6f8c64610n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: -william- @ 2022-02-10  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

% !TEX TS-program = xelatex

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8

\documentclass[letterpaper, 12pt]{article}

\usepackage[hmargin={1.2in,1.2in}, vmargin={1.0in, 1.2in},
includehead=true, includefoot=true, centering]{geometry}

\usepackage{setspace}

\setstretch{1.20} % sets linespacing to 14.4pts

\usepackage[skip=10pt]{parskip} % this sets spacing between paragraphs;
and, zero indenttion of paragraphs because the indent option is not
specified.

%\usepackage{footmisc} % read footmisc pdf re: conflict with hyperref

\usepackage[document, footnotes] {ragged2e} %

%\raggedright %results appear too ragged; and does not control footnotes;
use ragged2e

%\usepackage[]{nowidow} % exact control does not appear to be possible; the
article class default is acceptable, discourages club and widow lines,
uses: \clubpenalty 150 and \widow penalty 150

\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em} % prevent overfull lines

\usepackage[hyphens]{xurl} % creates url line breaks; option allows break
after hyphens

\usepackage{fontspec}

\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text, Scale=MatchLowercase}

\setmainfont{Equity Text B}

\setsansfont{Avenir Book}

\setmonofont{SF Mono}

\begin{document}

\end{document}

@ 2022-02-10  2:15                       ` -william-
From: -william- @ 2022-02-10  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

@ 2022-02-10  2:21                       ` -william-
From: -william- @ 2022-02-10  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In TexShop, menu item Typeset > Typeset. I added Lorem ipsum… after
\begin{document}, selected Typeset, and it outputs a pdf in a TexShop
viewer, so you can see what your document will look like.

Thanks for helping.
-william-

@ 2022-02-10  2:36               ` -william-
From: -william- @ 2022-02-10  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

@ 2022-02-10  7:20                       ` Joost
       [not found]                         ` <5dcf029a-5114-46e1-acd9-043a24cd4090-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost @ 2022-02-10  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jan Ulrich Hasecke'

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022, at 03:14, -william- wrote:
[snip tex document]

This is a latex document (with no content), not a Pandoc template. Like I said before, they are not the same thing. Look at the documentation for Pandoc templates here:

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#templates

My advise would be to print out Pandoc's default latex template with `pandoc -D latex > default.template` and modify that to suit your needs.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2022-02-10  9:52                           ` William Feeney