* Citations: lookup online and fetch metadata?
@ 2021-10-02  9:04 Ilia Zaihcuk
       [not found] ` <86fd3cd3-ada6-406a-9aa6-7929aeb254fen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilia Zaihcuk @ 2021-10-02  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all,

Is it possible, within the "pandoc'osphere", to fetch more metadata about a
given citation from some online resource?

Inspired by zbib.org (based on zotero <https://www.zotero.org/>). Given,
for example, the simple search string "*Probability Neglect 2002*", the
service returns as much as

@article{sunstein_probability_2002,
    title = {Probability {Neglect}: {Emotions}, {Worst} {Cases}, and
{Law}},
    volume = {112},
    issn = {00440094},
    shorttitle = {Probability {Neglect}},
    url = {https://www.jstor.org/stable/1562234?origin=crossref},
    doi = {10.2307/1562234},
    number = {1},
    urldate = {2021-10-02},
    journal = {The Yale Law Journal},
    author = {Sunstein, Cass R.},
    month = oct,
    year = {2002},
    pages = {61},
}

I see a lot of integrations with packages like citeproc-hs
<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/citeproc-hs>, zotxt
<https://github.com/egh/zotxt>, zotero-better-bibtex
<https://retorque.re/zotero-better-bibtex/exporting/pandoc/>, etc., but all
of them are talking primarily about managing and formatting a preexisting
bibliography and I've seen *no* mention of anything about fetching *new
data*.

This can be very useful when citations in the source files are missing
parts, or need to be converted into a format which requires more data (e.g.
input is only <Name, Year, Title>, but output requires DOI).

Best,

Ilia

* Re: Citations: lookup online and fetch metadata?
       [not found] ` <86fd3cd3-ada6-406a-9aa6-7929aeb254fen-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-10-02 19:31   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2ilyfmdf7.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-10-02 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilia Zaihcuk, pandoc-discuss

This might interest you:
https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters/tree/master/doi2cite
Use DOIs as cite keys and automatically fetch the data.

@ 2021-10-03 12:27       ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]         ` <145362a0-b797-40f7-8610-9dd3b5e42f20n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2021-10-03 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I suggest to not call the Crossref REST API directly, but instead use DOI
content negotiation, as there are a total of 11 DOI registration agencies
(although Crossref is by far the largest one). For example (using curl):
curl -LH "Accept: application/x-bibtex"
https://doi.org/10.1126/science.169.3946.635. More info
at https://citation.crosscite.org/docs.html

Best, Martin

@ 2021-10-03 17:46           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-10-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Fenner, pandoc-discuss

Great idea -- maybe put up an issue on
https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters so we don't lose track
of the suggestion?  Or even better a PR!

@ 2023-01-06 13:01       ` J
From: J @ 2023-01-06 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss