* Lua filter to convert Markdown comment
@ 2021-01-14 18:08 Peter Matulis
       [not found] ` <CAMxYqzEvRHcFQ1BYsFODC-Bd36=LfO-UKcVYPNzR8i8rDZorXw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Matulis @ 2021-01-14 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi. I'm new to Pandoc & Lua but my present issue is straightforward. I am
converting a Markdown file to HTML with pandoc like this:

pandoc -L filter.lua -f gfm -t html -o file.html file.md

Where file.md contains a line with this MD comment (the MD file was
obtained by converting from RST where I had to seed that file with an RST
comment to use as a placeholder for what I'm doing here):

<!-- blah -->

I simply want to convert this into an actual (second-level) MD header:

## blah

From what I've read, I would ideally specify an "element" that will be
acted upon, but what is a comment considered? Anyway, I think I can specify
`Pandoc` to mean "check the entire document", and that's what I've done
here (I will eventually be iterating through multiple MD files so I should
really not be doing it like this; please advise!):

function Pandoc (value)
  comment = "<!-- blah -->"
  comment = comment:gsub("%<%!%-%- blah %-%-%>", "## blah")
  return value
end

I've run the main logic through Lua on the terminal and it works:

$ lua
Lua 5.3.3  Copyright (C) 1994-2016 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> comment = "<!-- blah -->"
> comment = comment:gsub("%<%!%-%- blah %-%-%>", "## blah")
> print (comment)
## blah

But I'm failing to integrate it with Pandoc (no change is registered in
file.html). It's probably due to my misunderstanding of functions (not a
programmer!).

TIA.

/pm

* Re: Lua filter to convert Markdown comment
       [not found] ` <CAMxYqzEvRHcFQ1BYsFODC-Bd36=LfO-UKcVYPNzR8i8rDZorXw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-01-14 18:51   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2h7njgxme.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-01-14 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Matulis, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What you want to do is match on a RawBlock element.
Something like

function RawBlock(el)
  if el.text:match("<!--") then
    content = -- fill this in based on el.text
    return pandoc.Header(2, content)
  end
end

@ 2021-01-14 20:57       ` Peter Matulis
       [not found]         ` <CAMxYqzEn22Y4goKKW-D3Coqi5UTNR+6AgfcJAkJZPy8qtXjvjQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Matulis @ 2021-01-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Gratitude. This got me going.

@ 2021-01-15  3:38           ` Peter Matulis
       [not found]             ` <CAMxYqzHK6BvhbzE__4__Po+wizq_4b3CZT9q=9ZQ1iF9JR-VSg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Matulis @ 2021-01-15  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

So I now have this:

function RawBlock(el)
  if el.text:match("%<%!%-%- foo %-%-%>") then
    content = "foo"
    return pandoc.Header(2, content)
  end
end

There are actually about a dozen such known Markdown comments (e.g. 'foo',
'bar').
Instead of creating multiple files I'd like to have just one that uses a
regex and capture group:

  if el.text:match("%<%!%-%- (%a+) %-%-%>") then

I'm just unsure how to refer to the capture in a conditional statement
(i.e. "if 'foo' is captured then 'content' = "foo", elsif 'bar' is captured
then 'content' = "bar").

@ 2021-01-15  9:19               ` BPJ
       [not found]                 ` <CADAJKhDDZXjEBCWKRBnJChN1F-i_2BctoD1WHauPLXJHTKbGKA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2021-01-15  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Almost there. You need

`content = {pandoc.Str"Foo"}`

since the content of a Header is a list of inline elements.

As for multiple possible values Lua patterns are, as you seem to have
discovered, a bit challenged in that they don't support alternations. The
best solution is to use a table:

``````lua
-- Localize `pandoc` to a shorter name to save space & type less!
local p = pandoc

-- This is your "substitution" table.
local text4match = {
  -- If you need styling do this:
  foo = { p.Str"Foo", p.Space(), p.Str"and", p.Space(),
p.Emph(p.Str"more.") },
  -- If you do not need styling you can do this:
  bar = { p.Str"Bar and less." },
}

function RawBlock (elem)
  local key = elem.text:match"%<%!%-%-%s*(%a+)%s*%-%-%>"
  if key then
    local text = text4match[key]
    if text then
      return p.Header(2, text)