* epub : footnote backlink character not rendered by Kobo fonts
@ 2021-09-21  7:34 Vin Cent
       [not found] ` <349480b0-92cd-450f-abc0-f3d65140d23cn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vin Cent @ 2021-09-21  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am generating epub3 from latex source.
I was wondering why footnotes show a backlink to the original text when I
display the document in calibre, and why they do not when I display the
document on a kobo reader...

... until I found the backlink is indeed well present. It is "just" not
displayed by kobo because the character set (by pandoc, I think) has no
rendering on their font.

The backlink character, copied and pasted from the .epub document itself,
seems to be "↩︎".

I see two possible tricks here so that the link will appear on kobo :
1. Change the character to another one that would be rendered by kobo.
2. Change the default font of the document to one that has rendering for
that character.

I have tried all available fonts on my device. There are actually three
classes of them.
(Listing them all below, this might be of interest to somebody in the
future)

Avenir Next ; Georgia ; Kobo Nickel : these fonts render absolutely nothing
for that character, leading the human to believe the backlink does not
exist. It is present, clickable, just not rendered.

Amasis ; Caecilia ; Gill Sans ; Malabar ; OpenDislexic : these fonts render
"__" for that character. I find it "better" than the first family, but
still not great. It is not obvious for a non-tehnical human that this is a
backlink to the text.

AR UDJingxihei ; Kobo UD Kakugo ; Kobo Tsukishi Mincho : display oriental
character (I think this is chinese / japanese depending on font) for the
backlink character.

Therefore, I tend to favor the first solution. Do you guys know of a way to
customize the "backlink ↩︎" character set by pandoc in epub ?
Or is there a third approach ?

Thanks,

Vincent