* Inconsistent short notes with Zotero/BibTex - Date included but shouldn't be
@ 2021-01-05 12:07   ` Steve Lundy
       [not found]     ` <6029b4ae-7651-4e9f-bb87-ee74bbd9db76n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve Lundy @ 2021-01-05 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello there,

I have pandoc 2.11.3.2 installed and I have a problem with the date being
included in my short form footnote.

In my paper I am using the Chicago Short Note .csl from Zotero
("chicago-note-bibliography-always-short.csl"). I believe I have downloaded
the most recent version. I am using the BibTex citation key in a footnote
of a R-Markdown that outputs to .PDF in RStudio, processing through Pandoc.

This CSL file is MOSTLY getting the formatting that I want. The problem is
the date is being included in some and not others. The screen shot below
shows that #16, 18, and 22 include a date before the page number, but the
rest of them do not. I have looked at the @Citation in the .bib file and
don't notice any obvious differences.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
Steve

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 111834 bytes --]

* Re: Inconsistent short notes with Zotero/BibTex - Date included but shouldn't be
       [not found]     ` <6029b4ae-7651-4e9f-bb87-ee74bbd9db76n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-01-05 12:08       ` Steve Lundy
From: Steve Lundy @ 2021-01-05 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Trying the attachment again...

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 7:07:37 AM UTC-5 Steve Lundy wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I have pandoc 2.11.3.2 installed and I have a problem with the date being
> included in my short form footnote.
>
> In my paper I am using the Chicago Short Note .csl from Zotero
> ("chicago-note-bibliography-always-short.csl"). I believe I have downloaded
> the most recent version. I am using the BibTex citation key in a footnote
> of a R-Markdown that outputs to .PDF in RStudio, processing through Pandoc.
>
> This CSL file is MOSTLY getting the formatting that I want. The problem is
> the date is being included in some and not others. The screen shot below
> shows that #16, 18, and 22 include a date before the page number, but the
> rest of them do not. I have looked at the @Citation in the .bib file and
> don't notice any obvious differences.
>

> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Screen shot attachment.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 62917 bytes --]

@ 2021-01-05 18:04       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m2czyjz2dp.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-01-05 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Lundy, pandoc-discuss

Hard to help without seeing the bibtex entries!

Steve Lundy <lundys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello there,
>
> I have pandoc 2.11.3.2 installed and I have a problem with the date being
> included in my short form footnote.
>
> In my paper I am using the Chicago Short Note .csl from Zotero
> ("chicago-note-bibliography-always-short.csl"). I believe I have downloaded
> the most recent version. I am using the BibTex citation key in a footnote
> of a R-Markdown that outputs to .PDF in RStudio, processing through Pandoc.
>
> This CSL file is MOSTLY getting the formatting that I want. The problem is
> the date is being included in some and not others. The screen shot below
> shows that #16, 18, and 22 include a date before the page number, but the
> rest of them do not. I have looked at the @Citation in the .bib file and
> don't notice any obvious differences.
>

> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve
>
> --

* AW: Inconsistent short notes with Zotero/BibTex - Date included but shouldn't be
       [not found]         ` <m2czyjz2dp.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-01-05 18:12           ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]             ` <2c6da5aea44c43fa818cd8f0c2bc482d-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-01-05 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lundys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Do you use the BetterBibtex Plugin for Zotero? If yes, I suggest you export to CSL JSON or CSL YAML  instead of to bibtex/biblatex.

Anyway, as John has said, it's hardly possible to help without seeing the data involved.

@ 2021-01-05 20:51               ` Steve Lundy
       [not found]                 ` <9e95b756-8ebc-419e-a810-23dc41071fcan-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve Lundy @ 2021-01-05 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My apologies.

I have attached a .zip file containing a snippet of the Rmarkdown as well
as my .bib data file.

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 1:12:28 PM UTC-5 denis...-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org wrote:

> Do you use the BetterBibtex Plugin for Zotero? If yes, I suggest you
> export to CSL JSON or CSL YAML instead of to bibtex/biblatex.
>
> Anyway, as John has said, it's hardly possible to help without seeing the
> data involved.

[-- Attachment #2: Snippet.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip, Size: 268026 bytes --]

@ 2021-01-06  6:54                   ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]                     ` <b381b16519ee499489d519cb94c32b7d-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-01-06  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hmm, I cannot really reproduce the issue here (see attachment).

First, your style is not a style from the official repos, but maybe this style here? https://gist.github.com/denismaier/21168acf9e9287fc41f32c7351917111

Anyway, I’ve rename your file to snipped.md (as there’s nothing R specific in there), and processed it with
pandoc snippet.md --citeproc --bibliography=biblio.bib -o output.html -s --csl=chicago-note-bibliography-always-short.csl

I don’t know which commands RStudio uses to call pandoc? It could be possible that RStudio still calls pandoc with the older `-F pandoc-citeproc`  option. Or do you call pandoc manually?

And again, save your references in the “Better CSL JSON” format. (CSL JSON is the native format for CSL references, and used by Zotero and Pandoc alike. Using bibtex/biblatex as an intermediary format is at best unnecessary.

Best,
Denis

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 1:12:28 PM UTC-5 denis...-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org<mailto:denis...-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Do you use the BetterBibtex Plugin for Zotero? If yes, I suggest you export to CSL JSON or CSL YAML instead of to bibtex/biblatex.

Anyway, as John has said, it's hardly possible to help without seeing the data involved.

Hard to help without seeing the bibtex entries!

Steve Lundy <lun...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello there,
>
> I have pandoc 2.11.3.2 installed and I have a problem with the date being
> included in my short form footnote.
>
> In my paper I am using the Chicago Short Note .csl from Zotero
> ("chicago-note-bibliography-always-short.csl"). I believe I have downloaded
> the most recent version. I am using the BibTex citation key in a footnote
> of a R-Markdown that outputs to .PDF in RStudio, processing through Pandoc.
>
> This CSL file is MOSTLY getting the formatting that I want. The problem is
> the date is being included in some and not others. The screen shot below
> shows that #16, 18, and 22 include a date before the page number, but the
> rest of them do not. I have looked at the @Citation in the .bib file and
> don't notice any obvious differences.
>

> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve
>
> --

[-- Attachment #2: notes.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 102868 bytes --]

@ 2021-01-06 13:13                       ` Steve Lundy
       [not found]                         ` <34bba085-5599-4f44-9e10-0fa7bffb1b5fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve Lundy @ 2021-01-06 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the reply. I tried grabbing the CSL file from the link you
provided and I get the same result, unfortunately.

I am using bookdown in Rstudio to generate the PDF. Here is what is
generated at the time of building the PDF:

-----------------------------
==> rmarkdown::render_site(output_format = 'bookdown::pdf_book', encoding =
'UTF-8')

processing file: Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.Rmd
  |.......................                                               |
33%
  ordinary text without R code

  |...............................................                       |
67%
label: unnamed-chunk-1 (with options)
List of 1
 $ include: logi FALSE

  |......................................................................|
100%
  ordinary text without R code

"C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Pandoc/pandoc" +RTS -K512m -RTS
Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.utf8.md --to latex --from
markdown+autolink_bare_uris+tex_math_single_backslash --output
Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.tex --lua-filter
"C:\Users\Steve\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\bookdown\rmarkdown\lua\custom-environment.lua"
--lua-filter
"C:\Users\Steve\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\rmarkdown\rmarkdown\lua\pagebreak.lua"
--lua-filter
"C:\Users\Steve\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\rmarkdown\rmarkdown\lua\latex-div.lua"
--metadata-file
"C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpA7fDzR\file29c07ce97c19"
--self-contained --table-of-contents --toc-depth 2 --number-sections
--highlight-style tango --pdf-engine xelatex --include-in-header
preamble.tex --variable graphics --wrap preserve --variable
"geometry:margin=1in" --variable tables=yes --standalone
-Mhas-frontmatter=false --citeproc
output file: Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.knit.md

-----------------------------

I can try the CSL JSON format you suggested as a next step. Thanks again.

-Steve

@ 2021-01-08 11:28                           ` Steve Lundy
       [not found]                             ` <CAOtkj09FCfXpmDBPgUaZJt8MVpJKr67VDTzKaEtJ6OFKTdRupg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve Lundy @ 2021-01-08 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I tried with both CSL JSON and CSL YAML formats and unfortunately got the
same result when generating the PDF. Any other ideas?

@ 2021-01-08 11:57                               ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]                                 ` <f97e72940b8942afb51f5e4b5510436a-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-01-08 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 10113 bytes --]

To be clear, the format should have no influence here. It’s just that converting from CSL JSON to bibtex and then back to CSL JSON is unnecessary, and potentially problematic as it might result in data loss.

Have you tried with Zotero? Does the same happen there?

The date may be there due to line 1330 in the csl file where a macro called “date-disambiguate” is called. I’ve removed this in the attached version of the style. If it works for you with this version, citeproc thinks the titles with the date would otherwise be ambiguous, i.e., you have more than one item with identical author and shorttitle in your bib-file. (Or there is a bug with disambiguation…)

Best,
Denis

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:16 AM Steve Lundy <lundys-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org<mailto:lundys@gmail.com>> wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I tried grabbing the CSL file from the link you provided and I get the same result, unfortunately.

I am using bookdown in Rstudio to generate the PDF. Here is what is generated at the time of building the PDF:

-----------------------------
==> rmarkdown::render_site(output_format = 'bookdown::pdf_book', encoding = 'UTF-8')

processing file: Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.Rmd
  |.......................                                               |  33%
  ordinary text without R code

  |...............................................                       |  67%
label: unnamed-chunk-1 (with options)
List of 1
 $ include: logi FALSE

"C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Pandoc/pandoc" +RTS -K512m -RTS Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.utf8.md<http://Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.utf8.md> --to latex --from markdown+autolink_bare_uris+tex_math_single_backslash --output Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.tex --lua-filter "C:\Users\Steve\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\bookdown\rmarkdown\lua\custom-environment.lua" --lua-filter "C:\Users\Steve\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\rmarkdown\rmarkdown\lua\pagebreak.lua" --lua-filter "C:\Users\Steve\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\rmarkdown\rmarkdown\lua\latex-div.lua" --metadata-file "C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpA7fDzR\file29c07ce97c19" --self-contained --table-of-contents --toc-depth 2 --number-sections --highlight-style tango --pdf-engine xelatex --include-in-header preamble.tex --variable graphics --wrap preserve --variable "geometry:margin=1in" --variable tables=yes --standalone -Mhas-frontmatter=false --citeproc
output file: Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.knit.md<http://Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.knit.md>

-----------------------------

Steve Lundy <lun...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org<mailto:lun...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>> writes:

> Hello there,
>
> I have pandoc 2.11.3.2 installed and I have a problem with the date being
> included in my short form footnote.
>
> In my paper I am using the Chicago Short Note .csl from Zotero
> ("chicago-note-bibliography-always-short.csl"). I believe I have downloaded
> the most recent version. I am using the BibTex citation key in a footnote
> of a R-Markdown that outputs to .PDF in RStudio, processing through Pandoc.
>
> This CSL file is MOSTLY getting the formatting that I want. The problem is
> the date is being included in some and not others. The screen shot below
> shows that #16, 18, and 22 include a date before the page number, but the
> rest of them do not. I have looked at the @Citation in the .bib file and
> don't notice any obvious differences.
>

> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve
>
> --
.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/9e95b756-8ebc-419e-a810-23dc41071fcan%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/9e95b756-8ebc-419e-a810-23dc41071fcan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

[-- Attachment #2: chicago-note-bibliography-always-short-var.csl --]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <info>
    <title>Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note, always short titles)</title>
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-note-bibliography</id>
    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-note-bibliography" rel="self"/>
    <link href="http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html" rel="documentation"/>
    <author>
      <name>Julian Onions</name>
      <email>julian.onions@gmail.com</email>
    </author>
    <contributor>
      <name>Simon Kornblith</name>
      <email>simon@simonster.com</email>
    </contributor>
    <contributor>
      <name>Elena Razlogova</name>
      <email>elena.razlogova@gmail.com</email>
    </contributor>
    <contributor>
      <name>Frank Bennett</name>
      <email>biercenator@gmail.com</email>
    </contributor>
    <contributor>
      <name>Andrew Dunning</name>
      <email>andrew.dunning@utoronto.ca</email>
    </contributor>
    <contributor>
      <name>Sebastian Karcher</name>
    </contributor>
    <contributor>
      <name>Brenton M. Wiernik</name>
    </contributor>
    <category citation-format="note"/>
    <category field="generic-base"/>
    <summary>Chicago format with short notes and bibliography</summary>
    <updated>2017-10-12T12:00:00+00:00</updated>
    <rights license="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/">This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License</rights>
  </info>
  <locale xml:lang="en">
    <terms>
      <term name="editor" form="verb-short">ed.</term>
      <term name="translator" form="verb-short">trans.</term>
      <term name="translator" form="short">trans.</term>
      <term name="editortranslator" form="verb-short">ed. and trans.</term>
      <term name="editortranslator" form="verb">Edited and translated by</term>
      <term name="translator" form="short">trans.</term>
    </terms>
  </locale>
  <macro name="editor-translator">
    <group delimiter=", ">
      <group delimiter=" ">
        <choose>
          <if variable="container-author reviewed-author" match="any">
            <group>
              <names variable="container-author reviewed-author">
                <label form="verb-short" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
                <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
              </names>
            </group>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </group>
      <names variable="editor translator" delimiter=", ">
        <label form="verb-short" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
        <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
      </names>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="secondary-contributors-note">
    <choose>
      <if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="none">
        <text macro="editor-translator"/>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="container-contributors-note">
    <choose>
      <if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="any">
        <text macro="editor-translator"/>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="secondary-contributors">
    <choose>
      <if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="none">
        <names variable="editor translator" delimiter=". ">
          <label form="verb" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=" "/>
          <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
        </names>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="container-contributors">
    <choose>
      <if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="any">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <choose>
            <if variable="author">
              <choose>
                <if variable="container-author" match="any">
                  <names variable="container-author">
                    <label form="verb-short" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
                    <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
                  </names>
                </if>
              </choose>
              <!--This includes page numers after the container author, e.g. for Introductions -->
              <choose>
                <if variable="container-author author" match="all">
                  <group delimiter=". ">
                    <text variable="page"/>
                    <names variable="editor translator" delimiter=", ">
                      <label form="verb" suffix=" "/>
                      <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
                    </names>
                  </group>
                </if>
                <else>
                  <names variable="editor translator" delimiter=", ">
                    <label form="verb" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
                    <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
                  </names>
                </else>
              </choose>
            </if>
          </choose>
        </group>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="recipient-note">
    <names variable="recipient" delimiter=", ">
      <label form="verb" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
      <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
    </names>
  </macro>
  <macro name="contributors-note">
    <group delimiter=" ">
      <names variable="author">
        <name and="text" sort-separator=", " delimiter=", "/>
        <label form="short" prefix=", "/>
        <substitute>
          <names variable="editor"/>
          <names variable="translator"/>
        </substitute>
      </names>
      <text macro="recipient-note"/>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="editor">
    <names variable="editor">
      <name name-as-sort-order="first" and="text" sort-separator=", " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
      <label form="short" prefix=", "/>
    </names>
  </macro>
  <macro name="translator">
    <names variable="translator">
      <name name-as-sort-order="first" and="text" sort-separator=", " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
      <label form="verb-short" prefix=", "/>
    </names>
  </macro>
  <macro name="recipient">
    <group delimiter=" ">
      <choose>
        <if type="personal_communication">
          <choose>
            <if variable="genre">
              <text variable="genre" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
            </if>
            <else>
              <text term="letter" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
            </else>
          </choose>
        </if>
      </choose>
      <text macro="recipient-note"/>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="contributors">
    <group delimiter=". ">
      <names variable="author">
        <name name-as-sort-order="first" and="text" sort-separator=", " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
        <substitute>
          <text macro="editor"/>
          <text macro="translator"/>
          <choose>
            <if type="webpage post-weblog" match="any">
              <text variable="container-title"/>
            </if>
          </choose>
        </substitute>
      </names>
      <text macro="recipient"/>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="recipient-short">
    <names variable="recipient">
      <label form="verb" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
      <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=", "/>
    </names>
  </macro>
  <macro name="contributors-short">
    <group delimiter=" ">
      <names variable="author">
        <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=", "/>
        <substitute>
          <names variable="editor"/>
          <names variable="translator"/>
        </substitute>
      </names>
      <text macro="recipient-short"/>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="contributors-sort">
    <names variable="author">
      <name name-as-sort-order="all" and="text" sort-separator=", " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
      <substitute>
        <names variable="editor"/>
        <names variable="translator"/>
        <text macro="title"/>
      </substitute>
    </names>
  </macro>
  <macro name="interviewer-note">
    <names variable="interviewer" delimiter=", ">
      <label form="verb" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
      <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
    </names>
  </macro>
  <macro name="interviewer">
    <names variable="interviewer" delimiter=", ">
      <label form="verb" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=" "/>
      <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
    </names>
  </macro>
  <macro name="title-note">
    <choose>
      <if variable="title" match="none">
        <text variable="genre"/>
      </if>
      <else-if type="book graphic map motion_picture song" match="any">
        <text variable="title" text-case="title" font-style="italic"/>
        <group delimiter=" " prefix=", ">
          <text term="version"/>
          <text variable="version"/>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="legal_case interview patent" match="any">
        <text variable="title"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if variable="reviewed-author">
        <text variable="title" font-style="italic" prefix="review of "/>
      </else-if>
      <else>
        <text variable="title" text-case="title" quotes="true"/>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="title">
    <choose>
      <if variable="title" match="none">
        <choose>
          <if type="personal_communication" match="none">
            <text variable="genre" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
      <else-if type="book graphic motion_picture song" match="any">
        <text variable="title" text-case="title" font-style="italic"/>
        <group prefix=" (" suffix=")" delimiter=" ">
          <text term="version"/>
          <text variable="version"/>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <else-if variable="reviewed-author">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <text variable="title" font-style="italic" prefix="Review of "/>
          <names variable="reviewed-author">
            <label form="verb-short" text-case="lowercase" suffix=" "/>
            <name and="text" delimiter=", "/>
          </names>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="bill legislation legal_case interview patent" match="any">
        <text variable="title"/>
      </else-if>
      <else>
        <text variable="title" text-case="title" quotes="true"/>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="title-short">
    <choose>
      <if variable="title" match="none">
        <choose>
          <if type="interview">
            <text term="interview"/>
          </if>
          <else-if type="manuscript speech" match="any">
            <text variable="genre" form="short"/>
          </else-if>
        </choose>
      </if>
      <else-if type="book graphic motion_picture song" match="any">
        <text variable="title" text-case="title" form="short" font-style="italic"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="legal_case" variable="title-short" match="all">
        <text variable="title" font-style="italic" form="short"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="patent interview" match="any">
        <text variable="title" form="short"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="legal_case bill legislation" match="any">
        <text variable="title"/>
      </else-if>
      <else>
        <text variable="title" text-case="title" form="short" quotes="true"/>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="date-disambiguate">
    <choose>
      <if disambiguate="true" type="personal_communication" match="any">
        <text macro="issued"/>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="description-note">
    <group delimiter=", ">
      <text macro="interviewer-note"/>
      <text variable="medium"/>
      <choose>
        <if variable="title" match="none"/>
        <else-if type="manuscript thesis speech" match="any"/>
        <else-if type="patent">
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text variable="authority"/>
            <text variable="number"/>
          </group>
        </else-if>
        <else>
          <text variable="genre"/>
        </else>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if type="map">
          <text variable="scale"/>
        </if>
        <else-if type="graphic">
          <text variable="dimensions"/>
        </else-if>
      </choose>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="description">
    <group delimiter=", ">
      <group delimiter=". ">
        <text macro="interviewer"/>
        <text variable="medium" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
      </group>
      <choose>
        <if variable="title" match="none"/>
        <else-if type="thesis speech" match="any"/>
        <else-if type="patent">
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text variable="authority"/>
            <text variable="number"/>
          </group>
        </else-if>
        <else>
          <text variable="genre" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
        </else>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if type="map">
          <text variable="scale"/>
        </if>
        <else-if type="graphic">
          <text variable="dimensions"/>
        </else-if>
      </choose>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="container-title-note">
    <group delimiter=" ">
      <choose>
        <if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="any">
          <text term="in"/>
        </if>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if type="webpage">
          <text variable="container-title"/>
        </if>
        <else-if type="post-weblog">
          <text variable="container-title" text-case="title" font-style="italic" suffix=" (blog)"/>
        </else-if>
        <else-if type="bill legislation legal_case" match="none">
          <text variable="container-title" text-case="title" font-style="italic"/>
        </else-if>
      </choose>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="container-title">
    <group delimiter=" ">
      <choose>
        <if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="any">
          <text term="in" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
        </if>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if type="webpage">
          <text variable="container-title"/>
        </if>
        <else-if type="post-weblog">
          <text variable="container-title" text-case="title" font-style="italic" suffix=" (blog)"/>
        </else-if>
        <else-if type="bill legislation legal_case" match="none">
          <text variable="container-title" text-case="title" font-style="italic"/>
        </else-if>
      </choose>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="collection-title">
    <choose>
      <if match="none" type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if match="none" is-numeric="collection-number">
            <group delimiter=", ">
              <text variable="collection-title" text-case="title"/>
              <text variable="collection-number"/>
            </group>
          </if>
          <else>
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <text variable="collection-title" text-case="title"/>
              <text variable="collection-number"/>
            </group>
          </else>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="collection-title-journal">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <text variable="collection-title"/>
          <text variable="collection-number"/>
        </group>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="edition-note">
    <choose>
      <if type="book chapter graphic motion_picture paper-conference report song" match="any">
        <choose>
          <if is-numeric="edition">
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <number variable="edition" form="ordinal"/>
              <text term="edition" form="short"/>
            </group>
          </if>
          <else>
            <text variable="edition"/>
          </else>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="edition">
    <choose>
      <if type="book chapter graphic motion_picture paper-conference report song" match="any">
        <choose>
          <if is-numeric="edition">
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <number variable="edition" form="ordinal"/>
              <text term="edition" form="short"/>
            </group>
          </if>
          <else>
            <text variable="edition" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix="."/>
          </else>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-note-join-with-space">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal" variable="volume" match="all">
        <choose>
          <if match="none" variable="collection-title">
            <text macro="locators-note"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-note-join-with-comma">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal" match="none">
        <text macro="locators-note"/>
      </if>
      <else-if type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if variable="volume" match="none">
            <text macro="locators-note"/>
          </if>
          <else-if match="any" variable="collection-title">
            <text macro="locators-note"/>
          </else-if>
        </choose>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-note">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <text macro="collection-title-journal"/>
          <text variable="volume"/>
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text term="issue" form="short"/>
            <text variable="issue"/>
          </group>
        </group>
      </if>
      <else-if type="bill legislation legal_case" match="any">
        <text macro="legal-cites"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="book chapter graphic motion_picture paper-conference report song" match="any">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <text macro="edition-note"/>
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text term="volume" form="short"/>
            <number variable="volume" form="numeric"/>
          </group>
          <choose>
            <if variable="locator" match="none">
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <number variable="number-of-volumes" form="numeric"/>
                <text term="volume" form="short" plural="true"/>
              </group>
            </if>
          </choose>
        </group>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="legal-cites">
    <choose>
      <if type="legal_case" match="any">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <choose>
            <if variable="container-title">
              <text variable="volume"/>
              <text variable="container-title"/>
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <!--change to label variable="section" as that becomes available -->
                <text term="section" form="symbol"/>
                <text variable="section"/>
              </group>
              <text variable="page"/>
            </if>
            <else>
              <text variable="number" prefix="No. "/>
            </else>
          </choose>
        </group>
      </if>
      <else-if type="bill legislation" match="any">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <choose>
            <if variable="number">
              <!--There's a public law number-->
              <text variable="number" prefix="Pub. L. No. "/>
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <!--change to label variable="section" as that becomes available -->
                <text term="section" form="symbol"/>
                <text variable="section"/>
              </group>
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <text variable="volume"/>
                <text variable="container-title"/>
                <text variable="page-first"/>
              </group>
            </if>
            <else>
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <text variable="volume"/>
                <text variable="container-title"/>
                <!--change to label variable="section" as that becomes available -->
                <text term="section" form="symbol"/>
                <text variable="section"/>
              </group>
            </else>
          </choose>
        </group>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-join-with-space">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal" variable="volume" match="all">
        <choose>
          <if match="none" variable="collection-title">
            <text macro="locators"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-join-with-comma">
    <choose>
      <if type="bill chapter legislation legal_case paper-conference" match="any">
        <text macro="locators"/>
      </if>
      <else-if type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if variable="volume" match="none">
            <text macro="locators"/>
          </if>
          <else-if match="any" variable="collection-title">
            <text macro="locators"/>
          </else-if>
        </choose>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-join-with-period">
    <choose>
      <if type="bill legislation legal_case article-journal chapter paper-conference" match="none">
        <text macro="locators"/>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <text macro="collection-title-journal"/>
          <text variable="volume"/>
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text term="issue" form="short"/>
            <text variable="issue"/>
          </group>
        </group>
      </if>
      <else-if type="bill legislation legal_case" match="any">
        <text macro="legal-cites"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="book graphic motion_picture report song" match="any">
        <group delimiter=". ">
          <text macro="edition"/>
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text term="volume" form="short" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
            <number variable="volume" form="numeric"/>
          </group>
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <number variable="number-of-volumes" form="numeric"/>
            <text term="volume" form="short" plural="true"/>
          </group>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="any">
        <group delimiter=". ">
          <text macro="edition"/>
          <choose>
            <if variable="page" match="none">
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <text term="volume" form="short" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
                <number variable="volume" form="numeric"/>
              </group>
            </if>
          </choose>
        </group>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-newspaper">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-newspaper">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <number variable="edition"/>
            <text term="edition"/>
          </group>
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text term="section" form="short"/>
            <text variable="section"/>
          </group>
        </group>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="event-note">
    <text variable="event"/>
  </macro>
  <macro name="event">
    <choose>
      <if variable="title">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <choose>
            <if variable="genre">
              <text term="presented at"/>
            </if>
            <else>
              <text term="presented at" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
            </else>
          </choose>
          <text variable="event"/>
        </group>
      </if>
      <else>
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <text term="presented at" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
          <text variable="event"/>
        </group>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="originally-published">
    <group delimiter=", ">
      <group delimiter=": ">
        <text variable="original-publisher-place"/>
        <text variable="original-publisher"/>
      </group>
      <choose>
        <if is-uncertain-date="original-date">
          <date variable="original-date" form="numeric" date-parts="year" prefix="[" suffix="?]"/>
        </if>
        <else>
          <date variable="original-date" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/>
        </else>
      </choose>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="reprint-note">
    <!--needs localization-->
    <choose>
      <if variable="original-date issued" match="all">
        <choose>
          <!--for whatever reason in notes, when we have both original and new publishers, reprint doesn't appear-->
          <if variable="original-publisher original-publisher-place" match="none">
            <text value="repr."/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="reprint">
    <!--needs localization-->
    <choose>
      <if variable="original-date issued" match="all">
        <text value="reprint" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="publisher">
    <choose>
      <if type="thesis">
        <text variable="publisher"/>
      </if>
      <else-if type="speech">
        <text variable="event-place"/>
      </else-if>
      <else>
        <group delimiter=": ">
          <text variable="publisher-place"/>
          <text variable="publisher"/>
        </group>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issued">
    <choose>
      <if variable="issued">
        <choose>
          <if type="legal_case">
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <text variable="authority"/>
              <choose>
                <if variable="container-title" match="any">
                  <!--Only print year for cases published in reporters-->
                  <date variable="issued" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/>
                </if>
                <else>
                  <date variable="issued" form="text"/>
                </else>
              </choose>
            </group>
          </if>
          <else-if type="book bill chapter  legislation motion_picture paper-conference song thesis" match="any">
            <choose>
              <if is-uncertain-date="issued">
                <date variable="issued" form="numeric" date-parts="year" prefix="[" suffix="?]"/>
              </if>
              <else>
                <date variable="issued" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/>
              </else>
            </choose>
          </else-if>
          <else-if type="patent">
            <group delimiter=", ">
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <!--Needs Localization-->
                <text value="filed"/>
                <date variable="submitted" form="text"/>
              </group>
              <group delimiter=" ">
                <choose>
                  <if variable="issued submitted" match="all">
                    <text term="and"/>
                  </if>
                </choose>
                <!--Needs Localization-->
                <text value="issued"/>
                <date variable="issued" form="text"/>
              </group>
            </group>
          </else-if>
          <else>
            <choose>
              <if is-uncertain-date="issued">
                <date variable="issued" form="text" prefix="[" suffix="?]"/>
              </if>
              <else>
                <date variable="issued" form="text"/>
              </else>
            </choose>
          </else>
        </choose>
      </if>
      <else-if variable="status">
        <text variable="status"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if variable="accessed URL" match="all"/>
      <else>
        <text term="no date" form="short"/>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="point-locators-subsequent">
    <choose>
      <if type="legal_case" variable="locator" match="all">
        <choose>
          <if locator="page">
            <group delimiter=":">
              <text variable="volume"/>
              <text variable="locator"/>
            </group>
          </if>
          <else>
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <label variable="locator" form="short"/>
              <text variable="locator"/>
            </group>
          </else>
        </choose>
      </if>
      <else-if variable="locator">
        <choose>
          <if locator="page" match="none">
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <choose>
[...]
  <macro name="point-locators-join-with-colon">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if variable="locator page" match="any">
            <choose>
              <if variable="volume issue" match="any">
                <text macro="point-locators"/>
              </if>
            </choose>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="point-locators-join-with-comma">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal" match="none">
        <text macro="point-locators"/>
      </if>
      <else-if variable="volume issue" match="none">
        <text macro="point-locators"/>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="point-locators">
    <choose>
      <if variable="locator" match="none">
        <choose>
          <if type="article-journal chapter paper-conference" match="any">
            <text variable="page"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
      <else-if type="article-journal">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <choose>
            <if locator="page" match="none">
              <label variable="locator" form="short" suffix=" "/>
            </if>
          </choose>
          <text variable="locator"/>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="legal_case"/>
      <else>
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <choose>
            <if locator="page" match="none">
              <label variable="locator" form="short"/>
            </if>
          </choose>
          <text variable="locator"/>
        </group>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-chapter">
    <choose>
      <if type="chapter entry-dictionary entry-encyclopedia paper-conference" match="any">
        <choose>
          <if variable="author container-author" match="all"/>
          <else>
            <choose>
              <if variable="page">
                <text variable="volume" suffix=":"/>
                <text variable="page"/>
              </if>
            </choose>
          </else>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-journal-join-with-colon">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if variable="volume issue" match="any">
            <text variable="page"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="locators-journal-join-with-comma">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if variable="volume issue" match="none">
            <text variable="page"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="archive-note">
    <choose>
      <if type="thesis">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <text variable="archive"/>
          <text variable="archive_location" prefix="(" suffix=")"/>
        </group>
      </if>
      <else>
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <text variable="archive_location"/>
          <text variable="archive"/>
          <text variable="archive-place"/>
        </group>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="archive">
    <choose>
      <if type="thesis">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <text variable="archive"/>
          <text variable="archive_location" prefix="(" suffix=")"/>
        </group>
      </if>
      <else>
        <group delimiter=". ">
          <text variable="archive_location" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
          <text variable="archive"/>
          <text variable="archive-place"/>
        </group>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issue-note-join-with-space">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal bill legislation legal_case manuscript thesis" variable="publisher-place event-place publisher" match="any">
        <!--Chicago doesn't use publisher/place for Newspapers and we want the date delimited by a comma-->
        <choose>
          <if type="article-newspaper" match="none">
            <choose>
              <if type="article-journal" match="none">
                <text macro="issue-note"/>
              </if>
              <else-if variable="issue volume" match="any">
                <text macro="issue-note"/>
              </else-if>
            </choose>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issue-note-join-with-comma">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal bill legislation legal_case manuscript speech thesis" variable="publisher-place publisher" match="none">
        <text macro="issue-note"/>
      </if>
      <else-if type="article-newspaper">
        <text macro="issue-note"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if variable="volume issue" match="none">
            <text macro="issue-note"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issue-map-graphic">
    <!--See CMoS 17th ed. 14.235 and 14.237-->
    <choose>
      <if type="graphic map" match="any">
        <choose>
          <if variable="publisher publisher-place" match="none">
            <text macro="issued"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issue-note">
    <choose>
      <if type="bill legislation legal_case" match="any">
        <text macro="issued" prefix="(" suffix=")"/>
      </if>
      <else-if type="article-journal">
        <choose>
          <if variable="volume issue" match="any">
            <text macro="issued" prefix="(" suffix=")"/>
          </if>
          <else>
            <text macro="issued"/>
          </else>
        </choose>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="article-newspaper">
        <text macro="issued"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if type="manuscript thesis speech" match="any">
        <group delimiter=", " prefix="(" suffix=")">
          <choose>
            <if variable="title" match="any">
              <text variable="genre"/>
            </if>
          </choose>
          <text variable="event"/>
          <text variable="event-place"/>
          <text variable="publisher"/>
          <text macro="issued"/>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <else-if variable="publisher-place event-place publisher" match="any">
        <group prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter=", ">
          <text macro="event-note"/>
          <group delimiter="; ">
            <text macro="originally-published"/>
            <group delimiter=", ">
              <text macro="reprint-note"/>
              <text macro="publisher"/>
            </group>
          </group>
          <text macro="issued"/>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <else>
        <text macro="issued"/>
      </else>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issue-join-with-space">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal" match="any">
        <choose>
          <if variable="issue volume" match="any">
            <text macro="issue"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
      <else-if type="bill legislation legal_case" match="any">
        <text macro="issue"/>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issue-join-with-period">
    <choose>
      <if type="article-journal bill legislation legal_case" match="none">
        <choose>
          <if type="speech" variable="publisher publisher-place" match="any">
            <text macro="issue"/>
          </if>
        </choose>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="issue-join-with-comma">
    <choose>
      <if type="bill legislation legal_case" match="none">
        <choose>
          <if type="article-journal" match="none">
            <choose>
              <if type="speech" variable="publisher publisher-place" match="none">
[...]
            <text macro="event"/>
          </group>
          <text variable="event-place"/>
          <text macro="issued"/>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <!--Chicago doesn't use publisher/place for Newspapers -->
      <else-if type="article-newspaper">
        <text macro="issued"/>
      </else-if>
      <else-if variable="publisher-place publisher" match="any">
        <group delimiter=", ">
          <choose>
            <if type="thesis">
              <text variable="genre" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
            </if>
          </choose>
          <group delimiter=". ">
            <text macro="originally-published"/>
            <group delimiter=", ">
              <text macro="reprint"/>
              <text macro="publisher"/>
            </group>
          </group>
          <text macro="issued"/>
        </group>
      </else-if>
      <!--location for data for maps and artwork is different-->
      <else-if type="graphic map" match="none">
        <text macro="issued"/>
      </else-if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="access-note">
    <group delimiter=", ">
      <choose>
        <if type="graphic report" match="any">
          <text macro="archive-note"/>
        </if>
        <else-if type="article-journal bill book chapter legal_case legislation motion_picture paper-conference" match="none">
          <text macro="archive-note"/>
        </else-if>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if variable="issued" match="none">
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text term="accessed"/>
            <date variable="accessed" form="text"/>
          </group>
        </if>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if type="legal_case" match="none">
          <choose>
            <if variable="DOI">
              <text variable="DOI" prefix="https://doi.org/"/>
            </if>
            <else>
              <text variable="URL"/>
            </else>
          </choose>
        </if>
      </choose>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="access">
    <group delimiter=". ">
      <choose>
        <if type="graphic report" match="any">
          <text macro="archive"/>
        </if>
        <else-if type="article-journal bill book chapter legal_case legislation motion_picture paper-conference" match="none">
          <text macro="archive"/>
        </else-if>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if variable="issued" match="none">
          <group delimiter=" ">
            <text term="accessed" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
            <date variable="accessed" form="text"/>
          </group>
        </if>
      </choose>
      <choose>
        <if type="legal_case" match="none">
          <choose>
            <if variable="DOI">
              <text variable="DOI" prefix="https://doi.org/"/>
            </if>
            <else>
              <text variable="URL"/>
            </else>
          </choose>
        </if>
      </choose>
    </group>
  </macro>
  <macro name="case-locator-subsequent">
    <choose>
      <if type="legal_case">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <text variable="volume"/>
          <text variable="container-title"/>
        </group>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <macro name="case-pinpoint-subsequent">
    <choose>
      <if type="legal_case">
        <group delimiter=" ">
          <choose>
            <if locator="page">
              <text term="at"/>
              <text variable="locator"/>
            </if>
            <else>
              <label variable="locator"/>
              <text variable="locator"/>
            </else>
          </choose>
        </group>
      </if>
    </choose>
  </macro>
  <citation et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-names="true">
    <layout suffix="." delimiter="; ">
        <group delimiter=", ">
            <text macro="contributors-short"/>
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <group delimiter=", ">
                <text macro="title-short"/>
                <!--if title & author are the same: -->
                <!-- <text macro="date-disambiguate"/>-->
                <text macro="case-locator-subsequent"/>
              </group>
              <text macro="case-pinpoint-subsequent"/>
            </group>
            <choose>
              <if match="none" type="legal_case">
                <text macro="point-locators-subsequent"/>
              </if>
            </choose>
          </group>
         </layout>
  </citation>
  <bibliography hanging-indent="true" et-al-min="11" et-al-use-first="7" subsequent-author-substitute="&#8212;&#8212;&#8212;" entry-spacing="0">
    <sort>
      <key macro="contributors-sort"/>
      <key variable="title"/>
      <key variable="genre"/>
      <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>
    <layout suffix=".">
      <group delimiter=". ">
        <group delimiter=": ">
          <group delimiter=", ">
            <group delimiter=" ">
              <group delimiter=". ">
                <group delimiter=" ">
                  <group delimiter=", ">
                    <group delimiter=". ">
                      <group delimiter=". ">
                        <text macro="contributors"/>
                        <text macro="title"/>
                        <text macro="issue-map-graphic"/>
                      </group>
                      <text macro="description"/>
                      <text macro="secondary-contributors"/>
                      <group delimiter=", ">
                        <text macro="container-title"/>
                        <text macro="container-contributors"/>
                      </group>
                      <text macro="locators-join-with-period"/>
                    </group>
                    <text macro="locators-join-with-comma"/>
                    <text macro="locators-chapter"/>
                  </group>
                  <text macro="locators-join-with-space"/>
                </group>
                <text macro="collection-title"/>
                <text macro="issue-join-with-period"/>
              </group>
              <text macro="issue-join-with-space"/>
            </group>
            <text macro="issue-join-with-comma"/>
            <text macro="locators-journal-join-with-comma"/>
            <text macro="locators-newspaper"/>
          </group>
          <text macro="locators-journal-join-with-colon"/>
        </group>
        <text macro="access"/>
      </group>
    </layout>
  </bibliography>

@ 2021-01-08 17:56                                   ` Steve Lundy
       [not found]                                     ` <e3630635-81c3-4e20-ae7d-7fefbe37b9f6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve Lundy @ 2021-01-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 11144 bytes --]

Denis,

Thank you very much for this help. Using the updated file you provided,
everything started working smoothly. I haven't found any issues in extra
dates being included in shorttitles, punctuation, etc.

When I looked closer at the raw data, I did find plenty of "duplicate"
author & shorttitle combinations. However, what is strange, is that I don't
believe any of the footnotes giving me trouble with insertion of date in
the footnote were duplicates. For example, @WendlandRhetoric2001 is one
where the date was inserted in the footnote, but I confirmed the author &
shorttitle combination are unique in the .bib file. Anyway, not sure if you
have any additional thought on that, but I figured I share in case you
could translate that into "oh yes of course it's happening for this
reason". :)

Thanks again for your help!
-Steve

@ 2021-01-08 19:49                                       ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]                                         ` <af398528966b41188ab080b70c6860be-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-01-08 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Can you try converting your file without using bookdown? Just converting with a basic pandoc call?
Pandoc file.md --citeproc --csl=file.csl --bibliography=file.bib
Just to exclude it has something to do with your Rmarkdown/bookdown pipeline.

I tried with both CSL JSON and CSL YAML formats and unfortunately got the same result when generating the PDF. Any other ideas?

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:16 AM Steve Lundy <lun...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I tried grabbing the CSL file from the link you provided and I get the same result, unfortunately.

I am using bookdown in Rstudio to generate the PDF. Here is what is generated at the time of building the PDF:

-----------------------------
==> rmarkdown::render_site(output_format = 'bookdown::pdf_book', encoding = 'UTF-8')

processing file: Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.Rmd
  |.......................                                               |  33%
  ordinary text without R code

  |...............................................                       |  67%
label: unnamed-chunk-1 (with options)
List of 1
 $ include: logi FALSE

.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAOtkj09FCfXpmDBPgUaZJt8MVpJKr67VDTzKaEtJ6OFKTdRupg%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/CAOtkj09FCfXpmDBPgUaZJt8MVpJKr67VDTzKaEtJ6OFKTdRupg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

@ 2021-01-12 14:16                                           ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
       [not found]                                             ` <c9c158f458e14959bf854a3368f1275b-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-01-12 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Steve, did you try this? Or, can you send me your files so I can test with real files,

Can you try converting your file without using bookdown? Just converting with a basic pandoc call?
Pandoc file.md --citeproc --csl=file.csl --bibliography=file.bib
Just to exclude it has something to do with your Rmarkdown/bookdown pipeline.

I tried with both CSL JSON and CSL YAML formats and unfortunately got the same result when generating the PDF. Any other ideas?

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:16 AM Steve Lundy <lun...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I tried grabbing the CSL file from the link you provided and I get the same result, unfortunately.

I am using bookdown in Rstudio to generate the PDF. Here is what is generated at the time of building the PDF:

-----------------------------
==> rmarkdown::render_site(output_format = 'bookdown::pdf_book', encoding = 'UTF-8')

processing file: Multimodal-Reading-Bookdown.Rmd
  |.......................                                               |  33%
  ordinary text without R code

label: unnamed-chunk-1 (with options)
List of 1
 $ include: logi FALSE

.

@ 2021-01-13 12:48                                               ` denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ
From: denis.maier-FfwAq0itz3ofv37vnLkPlQ @ 2021-01-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Steve has sent me the files and I could reproduce the error. It looks like citeproc misinterprets CSL's disambiguation feature. I'll open an issue on the issue tracker.