* Word document with Endnote references to latex
@ 2014-12-05 19:51 BerndB
       [not found] ` <e00e6fe3-0102-4888-b1a1-9da10fe1f6b4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: BerndB @ 2014-12-05 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,

I have a huge Word document with about 100 references that I included with
Endnote. (I started with Word to maintain comment bubbles for the
references and to use track changes. However, I would now prefer to have
the final version as a latex document to apply to the common standards.)

==================================
Example
==================================
Somewhere in the text: Genes are coded in the DNA of an organism [1].

(...)

References (at the end of the document): 1. Watscon JD, Crick F, "Molecular
Structure of Nucleic Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid",
Nature (1953)

* Re: Word document with Endnote references to latex
       [not found] ` <e00e6fe3-0102-4888-b1a1-9da10fe1f6b4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-12-05 20:07   ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]     ` <CALuQ0m_rdgbGHn+-YQS1wR6zVvev7TtW3cs_nm9BMTZBnAKWdw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2014-12-05 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you have manually typed out the references then I don't think there
is. I had success using this tool to convert[1] references to a more
suitable format but I had to manually update all the citation points
obviously.

[1]: http://text2bib.economics.utoronto.ca/

@ 2014-12-05 20:11       ` BerndB
       [not found]         ` <3ee6112f-4e06-480c-ad39-008de30734d9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: BerndB @ 2014-12-05 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi, thanks for trying to help! ;)

But I do not understand what you mean with "manually".

I maintained and included references with Endnote. It is a reference
manager for Word.

@ 2014-12-05 21:20           ` Mark Szepieniec
       [not found]             ` <CAE4-1rVZrEg4zpoAFJ8N_3pGpB8UPgv0qL-WxTGH0bu9LZaDtQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-05 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think Matthew means that the tool he linked to does a good job of
transforming text such as

Watscon JD, Crick F, "Molecular Structure of Nucleic Acids: A Structure for
Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid", Nature (1953)

into a structured reference that latex can work with. However, one would
then still need to manually change each instance of "[1]" in the original
document to "\cite{watsoncrick}", or something similar.

In your case, if I understand correctly, your references would also have to
be transformed from EndNote's format to bibtex (Latex's format). This is
not something that pandoc can do.

@ 2014-12-05 21:41               ` BerndB
       [not found]                 ` <b2730c9c-d8a2-4bee-888c-3e7a19b8bd28-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: BerndB @ 2014-12-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Okay... I used pandoc and could create a file looking like a LaTex file
which also compiles.

pandoc Thesis.docx -s -o Thesis.tex

==== The compiled PDF file

On the first look, it is impressive. Looks like I would need it. However, I
do not understand how the literature references are transformed. In fact, I
would need something like an additional bibliography output.

=== Inside the .tex file
=======================================================================================================

Looking into the .tex file, [1] has been replaced by
"{[}\hyperref[ux5fENREFux5f1]{1}{]}" which obviously corresponds to the
following entry at the end of the document:

"References

\hyperdef{}{ux5fENREFux5f1}{}{}1. Ogawa J, Shimizu S: Microbial enzymes:
new industrial applications from traditional screening methods. Trends
in biotechnology 1999, 17:13-21."

===========================================================================================================================

So, I am pretty close. But I would need \cite{bibTexKey} instead of
\hyperref[ux5fENREFux5f1], and I would need to access an extra bibliography
file, such that I can change the references in the .tex file afterwards.
.

@ 2014-12-05 21:51                   ` Mark Szepieniec
From: Mark Szepieniec @ 2014-12-05 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc is just seeing your citations as internal hyperlinks (to the
respective references), it just read your reference list as text, and
doesn't realize they are actually references. You will need to convert your
references to bibtex form, either manually, or with the tool Matthew
mentioned.

The transformation of \hyperrefs into \cites could be done with a pandoc
filter (if you can code python or haskell), or you could do a search and
replace in your text editor.

@ 2014-12-05 22:08                     ` Matthew Pickering
       [not found]                       ` <CALuQ0m-uvY8fif0rBCGC-_xe31A7bqz1hLbBmJdSpAEr-vbcnA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2014-12-05 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I think there might be specific endnote -> bibtex conversion tools as
well which would probably work better.

@ 2014-12-06 12:49                         ` nickbart1980-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]                           ` <6b0c01b6-a9f9-4279-a794-72626973ca72-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: nickbart1980-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2014-12-06 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> I think there might be specific endnote -> bibtex conversion tools …

bibutils is one such program, and pandoc-citeproc uses this under the hood
to convert RIS, EndNote, EndNote XML, ISI, MEDLINE, and Copac to MODS which
pandoc-citeproc can parse.

For an Endnote file, try:

`end2xml yourendnotefile.enl | xml2bib > yourbibfile.bib`

or for an EndNote XML file:

`endx2xml yourendnotefile.xml | xml2bib > yourbibfile.bib`

You could also try using your EndNote file directly:

pandoc Thesis.docx -s -o Thesis.tex --bibliography=yourendnotefile.enl
--csl=vancouver.csl

In any case you will have to replace all references of the type
`\hyperref[ux5fENREFux5f1]` by an appropriate `\citep{bibTexKey}` in your
latex source file. (Use `\citep{}` instead of `\cite{}` if you want numbers
such as "(1)" as in-text citations.)

@ 2014-12-06 12:58                             ` nickbart1980-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: nickbart1980-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2014-12-06 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw