* ConTeXt output for bib references broken in 1.14?
@ 2015-05-28 22:22 Rik Kabel
       [not found] ` <72c4d058-161b-49e5-b262-a6bf4ee1ed1d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-05-28 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Complete markdown source:

See @SampleBook1965.

Previous (1.13.2) ConTeXt output (between `\starttext` and `\stoptext`):

See Brain (1965).

Brain, Bird. 1965. {\em Proceedings -- National Poultry Breeders'
Roundtable}. Gotham: National Poultry Breeders.

ConTeXt output under 1.14 (between `\starttext` and `\stoptext`):

See Brain (\in{1965}{}[ref-SampleBook1965]).

Brain, Bird. 1965. {\em Proceedings -- National Poultry Breeders'
Roundtable}. Gotham: National Poultry Breeders.

The .bib file:

@BOOK{SampleBook1965,
  title =      {Proceedings – National Poultry Breeders’ Roundtable},
  author =     {Brain, Bird},
  year =       {1965},
  publisher =  {National Poultry Breeders},
  address =    {Gotham}
}

The build command:

C:\pdtest>pandoc --standalone --to context --bibliography test.bib --filter
pandoc-citeproc --output test.ctx test.md

The .csl file and template are defaults for this example.

(I realize that this --filter option is now inserted automatically. I get
the same result with and without it under 1.14.)

The PDF resulting from processing the output is unusable. There is nothing
in the changelog related to ConTeXt. I am reverting to 1.13.2 for now.

Did I not understand the documented changes correctly, or is there some
undocumented behavior?

--
Rik

* Re: ConTeXt output for bib references broken in 1.14?
       [not found] ` <72c4d058-161b-49e5-b262-a6bf4ee1ed1d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-05-28 23:00   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20150528230059.GB95977-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-28 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

See the changelog for pandoc-citeproc.

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-citeproc-0.7.1.1/changelog

Citations now hyperlink to the corresponding bibliography entries.

I haven't tried it in ConTeXt, and it may be that there are problems
there. If so, please tell us what needs to be done to make the
hyperlinks work (it seems there's no link anchor, for one thing).

Note that you can use pandoc 1.14 with an older version of
pandoc-citeproc if you don't want this behavior.

@ 2015-05-29  0:04       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20150529000430.GA21725-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-29  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Easy enough to add the link anchors.

But the links themselves are more difficult.  I see that
currently we abuse `\in` to get internal links with
arbitrary text, but this results in an extra space after
the link (normally the space between the "section" label
and the section number).  I didn't see a ConTeXt command
that was fully flexible about the link text.

+++ John MacFarlane [May 28 15 16:00 ]:

@ 2015-05-29  0:56           ` Rik Kabel
       [not found]             ` <c32e5ff9-af34-4ccf-b029-a58a2908694f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-05-29  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 8:04:44 PM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Easy enough to add the link anchors.
>
> But the links themselves are more difficult.  I see that
> currently we abuse `\in` to get internal links with
> arbitrary text, but this results in an extra space after
> the link (normally the space between the "section" label
> and the section number).  I didn't see a ConTeXt command
> that was fully flexible about the link text.
>
> +++ John MacFarlane [May 28 15 16:00 ]:
> >See the changelog for pandoc-citeproc.
> >
> >https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-citeproc-0.7.1.1/changelog
> >
> >Citations now hyperlink to the corresponding bibliography entries.
> >
> >I haven't tried it in ConTeXt, and it may be that there are problems
> >there. If so, please tell us what needs to be done to make the
> >hyperlinks work (it seems there's no link anchor, for one thing).
> >
> >Note that you can use pandoc 1.14 with an older version of
> >pandoc-citeproc if you don't want this behavior.
> >
> >--
>
> I have carefully reviewed the changelog you point to, and can find nothing
that indicates that citations now automatically and unbidden create
hyperlinks to the bibliography. The closest I could find is the statement,
for 0.7:

Made hyperlinked citations work with numerical and author-year styles.

This suggests that when these are hyperlinked, they will now work
correctly, but does not say such linking is automatic. Could you please
point out more detailed description of what was done, and how it might be
managed? I do not want to be tied to an old version that is no longer
maintained. For folks producing printed documents, linking is not useful
and serves only to embiggen the output pdf file. Perhaps an option to
forego this option is warranted.

As far as the ConTeXt code to use, I would suggest at a minimum inserting,
at the front of each bibilographic entry,

\reference[ref:ReferenceName]{Text_to_display_as_link}

and in each reference call

\in[ref:ReferenceName]

(Colon, not hyphen, appears to be idiomatic in ConTeXt for this use.) So,
with input of:

---
references:
- issued:
    date-parts:
    - - 1965
  author:
  - given: Bird B.
    family: Brain
  id: SampleBook1965
  title: "Proceedings – National Poultry Breeders’ Roundtable"
  type: book
  publisher: National Poultry Breeders
  publisher-place: Gotham
The report [see @SampleBook1965 p. 52--53] suggests

you would generate, for the body, something like

The report (see B. B. Brain \in[ref:SampleBook1965], 52--53) suggests

\reference[ref:SampleBook1965]{1965}Brain, Bird A. 1965. {\em Proceedings
-- National Poultry Breeders'
Roundtable}. Gotham: National Poultry Breeders.

(The curly-braced arguments to \in are for text which precedes and succeeds
the reference text and is included in the link, enlarging the clickable
link target area. They are optional and not really needed in this
application.)

--

@ 2015-05-29  3:59               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20150529035930.GA5451-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-29  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Sorry that the changelog was too brief; it was obviously
put together too hastily. All author-year and
numerical citations are now hyperlinked to the corresponding
reference in the bibliography.  This was a very frequent
request.

I agree that there should be a way to turn it off -- or, maybe
the default should be that it's off, and there should be a way
to turn it on.  I mean to implement this in pandoc-citeproc soon,
and that should solve your problem.

Thanks for the suggestions about context.  I really need something
that's going to work very generally for internal links and anchors,
and although your solution would work for this case, it's not
really general enough.  (You might, for example, have several
internal links to the same anchor, and they'd need different
link texts.)  I'm surprised that there's nothing in ConTeXt
that corresponds to this.

John

@ 2015-05-29 16:52                   ` Rik Kabel
       [not found]                     ` <e6c337b7-dab0-480f-b509-b15fad16817f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-05-29 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:59:30 PM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Sorry that the changelog was too brief; it was obviously
> put together too hastily. All author-year and
> numerical citations are now hyperlinked to the corresponding
> reference in the bibliography.  This was a very frequent
> request.
>
> I agree that there should be a way to turn it off -- or, maybe
> the default should be that it's off, and there should be a way
> to turn it on.  I mean to implement this in pandoc-citeproc soon,
> and that should solve your problem.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions about context.  I really need something
> that's going to work very generally for internal links and anchors,
> and although your solution would work for this case, it's not
> really general enough.  (You might, for example, have several
> internal links to the same anchor, and they'd need different
> link texts.)  I'm surprised that there's nothing in ConTeXt
> that corresponds to this.
>
> John
>
> I look forward to the update that makes it optional, whether default or
not.

Your surprise about the ability of ConTeXt to accommodate a more general
solution is not merited. ConTeXt provides a few ways to accomplish this
task. I would suggest, using the same examples as before, that you want to
produce code like the following:

The report (see Brain \goto{Arbitrary Text}[ref:SampleBook1965], 52--53).

\reference[ref:SampleBook1965]{1965}Brain, Bird A. 1965. {\em Proceedings
-- National Poultry Breeders'
Roundtable}. Gotham: National Poultry Breeders.

This uses \goto instead of \in. There are a number of referencing commands,
all built on a more general reference mechanism (\in, \at, \about,
\somewhere, \goto, all built on \ref); \goto is the command that allows
arbitrary text in the link, which is what you require here.

--

@ 2015-05-29 18:23                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20150529182344.GF29973-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-05-29 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

\goto is just what I was looking for.  I didn't see it when
skimming through the ConTeXt reference manual under
cross-references...probably because it's just mentioned in
one sentence, and no example is given (unlike the others).

+++ Rik Kabel [May 29 15 09:52 ]:

@ 2015-06-03 14:38                           ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-06-03 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Two more buglets with ConTeXt bibliographic output under 1.14.0.1.

The first is easily fixed: There is a spurious space inserted in the
bibliography before each entry. the format of the entry in the output
ConTeXt code is:

\reference[ref-BIBKEY]{}
TEXT OF THE BIBLIOGRAPHY ENTRY

and the fix is to hide the line ending of the first line with a %, as:

\reference[ref-CITEID]{}%
TEXT OF THE BIBLIOGRAPHY ENTRY

The cause of (and as a result, cure for) the second is not apparent to me.
When the -N/--number-sections pandoc option is set, text references contain
a spurious (§ ) reference, as:

\in{LINKTEXT (\S}{)}[ref-BIBKEY]

I can provide a full working example if needed.

--
Rik

* citation linking is now optional [was: Re: ConTeXt output for bib references broken in 1.14?]
       [not found]                     ` <e6c337b7-dab0-480f-b509-b15fad16817f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-06-10 23:00                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20150610230023.GB98847-bi+AKbBUZKbivNSvqvJHCtPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-06-10 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Rik Kabel [May 29 15 09:52 ]:

>   I look forward to the update that makes it optional, whether default or
>   not.

I have just released pandoc-citeproc 0.7.2, which makes the
citation linking optional.  If you add

    link-citations: true

to your metadata, you'll get the links.  Otherwise (by
default) not.

* Re: citation linking is now optional [was: Re: ConTeXt output for bib references broken in 1.14?]
@ 2015-07-01 17:22                           ` Rik Kabel
       [not found]                             ` <d3191b6e-be9e-432c-ada9-581067922342-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-07-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 7:00:39 PM UTC-4, John MacFarlane wrote:

> +++ Rik Kabel [May 29 15 09:52 ]:
>
> >   I look forward to the update that makes it optional, whether default
> or
> >   not.
>
> I have just released pandoc-citeproc 0.7.2, which makes the
> citation linking optional.  If you add
>
>     link-citations: true
>
> to your metadata, you'll get the links.  Otherwise (by
> default) not.
>
> John,

I was finally able to test this—I use Windows and needed a compiled version.

With “link-citations: false” or no link-citations entry, everything is
fine. That is the good news. Unfortunately, with “link-citations: true” and
nothing else changed, there is still an issue. The output was created using
 iso6690-numeric-en.csl.

The generated ConTeXt code for “link-citations: false”:

\startblockquote
Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because
it is wrong.

-- E. O. Wilson (1929--) in \quotation{The Biological Basis of Morality}
(48)
\stopblockquote

The corresponding output for “link-citations: true”:

\startblockquote
Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because
it is wrong.

-- E. O. Wilson (1929--) in \quotation{The Biological Basis of Morality}
(\in{48 (\S}{)}[ref-Wilson1998])
\stopblockquote

--
Rik

@ 2015-07-01 18:48                               ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-07-01 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Rik,

I'd forgotten to make the changes you suggested.
Working on them now.

John