* MWE for building a table using Lua
@ 2022-05-25 11:48 msprev
       [not found] ` <11978438-43d6-4943-aaac-659d51f05f43n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: msprev @ 2022-05-25 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've been struggling to get my head around handling tables with Lua in
pandoc 2.18. I'm trying to write a minimal working example to create a
table as I can't seem to find one online. The code below does create a
table, but with any empty table body and I can't figure out how to get the
body to appear. Can anyone help tell me what has gone wrong here?

BTW, I tried to call the pandoc.TableBody() constructor, but that throws an
error as it doesn't seem to be defined ("attempt to call a nil value (field
'TableBody')")

```
local caption = {long = {}}
local colspecs = {{pandoc.AlignLeft, pandoc.ColWidthDefault},
{pandoc.AlignDefault, pandoc.ColWidthDefault}}
local head = pandoc.TableHead()
local cell1contents = { pandoc.Plain({pandoc.Str("cell1")}) }
local cell2contents = { pandoc.Plain({pandoc.Str("cell2")}) }
local cell1 = { alignment=pandoc.AlignDefault, contents=cell1contents,
col_span=1, row_span=1 }
local cell2 = { alignment=pandoc.AlignDefault, contents=cell2contents,
col_span=1, row_span=1 }
local row1 = { cells={pandoc.Cell(cell1), pandoc.Cell(cell2)} }
local rows = { pandoc.Row(row1) }
local bodies = { body=rows, head={}, row_head_columns=0 }
local foot = pandoc.TableFoot()
local mytable = pandoc.Table(caption, colspecs, head, bodies, foot)
table.insert(doc.blocks, mytable)
```

* Re: MWE for building a table using Lua
       [not found] ` <11978438-43d6-4943-aaac-659d51f05f43n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-05-26  8:53   ` msprev
       [not found]     ` <82a0d0eb-877a-47ff-8632-907322c40648n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: msprev @ 2022-05-26  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This creates the following structure -- all ok, except the table body,
which is empty ('[]'), and I cannot get it to appear. Any suggestions on
what I'm doing wrong would be gratefully received.

```
Table
    ( "" , [] , [] )
    (Caption Nothing [])
    [ ( AlignLeft , ColWidthDefault )
    , ( AlignDefault , ColWidthDefault )
    ]
    (TableHead ( "" , [] , [] ) [])
    []
    (TableFoot ( "" , [] , [] ) [])
```

@ 2022-05-26  9:05       ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-26  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The constructors don't take tables as their argument, but discrete values. I have not found the definition of the constructors in the official documentation, but you can look into this filter to see how they work: https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters/blob/master/list-table/list-table.lua

@ 2022-05-26 10:52         ` K4zuki
       [not found]           ` <8094d69c-8374-4662-9c5c-c099e14b19b2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: K4zuki @ 2022-05-26 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

hint 1 - my note about Table structure (might be inaccurate w/ 2.18):
    https://gist.github.com/K4zuki/04e1e1af2fcf06db1a6ea640aa8feadd
hint 2 - my implementation in a filter
(https://github.com/pandocker/pandocker-lua-filters/blob/master/lua/csv2table.lua):
1. prepare a minimum table markdown text as a local variable
2. let pandoc convert the text, then extract Table object
```lua
local table_template = [==[
| table |
|-------|
| cell |

Table: caption
]==]

local my_table = pandoc.read(table_template, "markdown").blocks[1]
```
3. clone the object and replace the contents

2022年5月26日木曜日 18:06:06 UTC+9 Bastien Dumont:

@ 2022-05-27 10:42             ` BPJ
       [not found]               ` <CADAJKhDw3GKsUnfBhu6bdh7mJrGmtrOeHzz2ygTuUAZX-muEUA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-05-27 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den tors 26 maj 2022 12:53K4zuki <k.yamamoto.08136891-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> hint 1 - my note about Table structure (might be inaccurate w/ 2.18):
>     https://gist.github.com/K4zuki/04e1e1af2fcf06db1a6ea640aa8feadd

Thanks for this! My own stab at this, which may be seriously outdated, is
here:

https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/XE9YdlJNamU/m/oWZapmV5CwAJ

I was aiming at the JSON structure because my intention was to implement
support for complex tables in Perl JSON filters, which I still use from
time to time because Perl has real Unicode support!

As for col/row spans: doesn't the HTML reader/writer support them yet?

hint 2 - my implementation in a filter (
> https://github.com/pandocker/pandocker-lua-filters/blob/master/lua/csv2table.lua
> ):
> 1. prepare a minimum table markdown text as a local variable
> 2. let pandoc convert the text, then extract Table object
> ```lua
> local table_template = [==[
> | table |
> |-------|
> | cell |
>
> Table: caption
> ]==]
>
> local my_table = pandoc.read(table_template, "markdown").blocks[1]
> ```
> 3. clone the object and replace the contents

Nice trick — once you have grokked the structure.

@ 2022-05-29 16:48                 ` msprev
From: msprev @ 2022-05-29 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss