My responses seem to be getting delayed or grey listed for several hours, so I'm just going to re-post directly from the Google Groups interface here (apologies if you receive a duplicate tomorrow): On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 8:27:07 AM UTC-8, Jesse Rosenthal wrote: > > Hi Phillip, > > I'm actually the author of the docx reader. I wrote it because I wanted > to use it. I'd guess that's the case for most of the readers in pandoc. > > Which is to say that I don't think there's any technical limitation to > constructing such a reader. It would likely follow the same basic > pattern as the docx reader: unzip, parse, convert. It would in fact > probably be a bit easier than the docx reader because lists etc seem > much more sensible in ODT due to proper nesting. I just don't think > anyone has had sufficient desrie (or the combination of desire and > haskell chops) to make it happen. > > By the way, before I wrote the docx reader, I prototyped it in python, > and wrote a python script that output pandoc json. If you don't want to > work in haskell you could look around for an ODT reader in another > language and go from there. > > Best, > Jesse > Hi Jesse, That's very helpful context to have. I have been looking at the other libraries here, http://www.opendocumentformat.org/developers/ … and I'd be curious to see an example of the "pandoc JSON" if you could point me to one (and/or your python prototype). It does look like an interesting problem to solve, haskell aside. ;) However, the team I'm working with at the moment is quite small, and we are heavily committed (like everyone!). I see that the idea of a "bounty" has been raised before on this list. Our project is well funded and this would be a worthwhile investment. Before I go searching for someone to write this reader out in the wild, is there anyone on this list that would be interested in taking it on? If so, please drop me a note off-list. Phillip. > Phillip Smith > writes: > > > On 2015-01-26, at 2:42 PM, Raniere Silva > wrote: > > > >> Hi Phillip, > >> > >>> I'm completely ignorant here, having just starting using pandoc, but > -- if > >>> it's not a waste of time to explain it to me -- I'd be curious to > >>> understand how an odt reader could be added. > >> > >> At src/Text/Pandoc/Readers/ you will find the source code of all > readers. > >> If you take a look at src/Text/Pandoc/Readers/Docx{/,.hs} you will see > the > >> source code of the DOCX reader. You can use it as a start point for the > ODT > >> reader. > > > > Hi Raniere, > > > > Many thanks for your response. I did have a look at the DOCX reader > earlier. > > > > Let me perhaps re-phrase my question: What have been the barriers that > have prevented an odt reader from being added before? > > > > I'm curious why so many readers are available, but not odt? Are there > obstacles that are well-known and hard to overcome? > > > > Many thanks in advance, > > > > Phillip. > > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to pandoc-discus...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org . > > To post to this group, send email to pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org > . > > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7EE5FAC3-481F-468F-AFE1-E898FC1E5387%40gmail.com. > > > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/e8873929-e613-43f6-98f9-a760a6e33772%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.