* pandoc correctly translates U+2024 thin space to '\,' but the spaces in PDF created by Xelatex are full-width
@ 2020-02-01 19:18 Chris Jones
       [not found] ` <818817e7-17c7-4bf4-b9fb-e300f6faaf37-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Jones @ 2020-02-01 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Searched online for similar cases and didn't find anything relevant.

The context is that I recently was made aware that the French insist that a *thin
space* be inserted immediately before some punctuation characters *',:!?»%*'
etc.… So in dialogs for instance e.g. … the .md source has: « · bonjour
mademoiselle · » where the middle dots represent a single U+202f
non-breaking space.

When I take a look at the intermediate .tex file that pandoc generates the
thin spaces are correctly converted to '\,' which I believe is the *latex
way *of coding thin spaces. But when I run xelatex on the latex file and
look at the resulting PDF I can see that the thin spaces have become
regular-width spaces.

I compared the PDF output to another PDF I had created using plain latex
rather than pandoc and the U+202F's that I typed in my .tex source clearly
materialize as thin spaces in the PDF.

What I suspect at this point is that one of the latex packages that pandoc
sticks in the generated latex file (or the way it is invoked? perhaps a
combination of packages? …?) is causing this.

As to an *MWE*… I'm not sure it's really appropriate in this particular
case…

*Just in case… here's what I get from a minimal .md input file:*

`\PassOptionsToPackage{unicode=true}{hyperref} % options for packages
loaded elsewhere
\PassOptionsToPackage{hyphens}{url}
%
\documentclass[oneside,10pt,french,]{extbook} % cjns1989 - 27112019 - added
the oneside option: so that the text doesn't jump left & right when reading
on a tablet/ereader
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
\usepackage{ifxetex,ifluatex}
\usepackage{fixltx2e} % provides \textsubscript
\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
  \usepackage{textcomp} % provides euro and other symbols
\else % if luatex or xelatex
  \usepackage{unicode-math}
  \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX,Scale=MatchLowercase}
%   \setmainfont[]{EBGaramond-Regular}
    \setmainfont[Numbers={OldStyle,Proportional}]{EBGaramond-Regular}
% cjns1989 - 20191129 - old style numbers
\fi
% use upquote if available, for straight quotes in verbatim environments
\IfFileExists{upquote.sty}{\usepackage{upquote}}{}
% use microtype if available
\IfFileExists{microtype.sty}{%
\usepackage[]{microtype}
\UseMicrotypeSet[protrusion]{basicmath} % disable protrusion for tt fonts
}{}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\hypersetup{
            pdftitle={WME},
            pdfborder={0 0 0},
            breaklinks=true}
\urlstyle{same}  % don't use monospace font for urls
\usepackage[papersize={3.75 in, 6.0 in},left=.3 in,right=.3 in]{geometry}
\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines
\providecommand{\tightlist}{%
  \setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}\setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
% Redefines (sub)paragraphs to behave more like sections
\ifx\paragraph\undefined\else
\let\oldparagraph\paragraph
\renewcommand{\paragraph}[1]{\oldparagraph{#1}\mbox{}}
\fi
\ifx\subparagraph\undefined\else
\let\oldsubparagraph\subparagraph
\renewcommand{\subparagraph}[1]{\oldsubparagraph{#1}\mbox{}}
\fi
% set default figure placement to htbp
\makeatletter
\def\fps@figure{htbp}
\makeatother

\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[shorthands=off,main=french]{babel}
\else
  % load polyglossia as late as possible as it *could* call bidi if RTL
lang (e.g. Hebrew or Arabic)
  \usepackage{polyglossia}
  \setmainlanguage[]{french}
\fi

\title{WME}
\date{}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

\$ ECM

\hypertarget{wme-title}{%
\chapter{WME (title)}\label{wme-title}}

en lettres capitales, soigneusement imprimées au pochoir\,:

--- «\,Crétins\,!\,» murmura-t-il.

\end{document}`

*Customization* is minimal: old style numbers (proportional) and one-sided
since the document is not destined for hard-copy printing…

What I have in mind at this point to try and figure out what is happening
is to work with a one line .md source that has some U+202F's and remove
default packages until the problem goes away but before I do this I thought
maybe someone has run into something similar or might suggest a better
approach than plain trial and error to help determine the cause of the
problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

CJ

* Re: pandoc correctly translates U+2024 thin space to '\,' but the spaces in PDF created by Xelatex are full-width
       [not found] ` <818817e7-17c7-4bf4-b9fb-e300f6faaf37-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-02-02 22:36   ` Chris Jones
       [not found]     ` <158fd0ac-89bc-4fb1-9920-386bf325dad6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Jones @ 2020-02-02 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I replaced these lines in the intermediate latex file generated by pandoc:

`\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[shorthands=off,
main=french]{babel}
\else
  % load polyglossia as late as possible as it *could* call bidi if RTL
lang (e.g. Hebrew or Arabic)
  \usepackage{polyglossia}
  \setmainlanguage[]{french}
\fi`

by…

`\usepackage[french]{babel}`

… and that took care of the problem.

So it looks like it's either a bug in the panglossia package or misuse
thereof by pandoc?

Not sure where to go from there since I don't understand what the if/else &
conditionals are meant to do.

Thanks,

CJ

@ 2020-02-02 23:49       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-02-02 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Jones, pandoc-discuss

The conditionals just mean that babel is used with pdflatex
and polyglossia with xelatex and lualatex.

maybe there's an option we could/should be passing to
polyglossia?  Check the documentation?

@ 2020-02-03  2:24   ` Chris Jones
From: Chris Jones @ 2020-02-03  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Good… was beginning to wonder with all those wicked viruses going the
rounds… whether I would get some form of reply.

The problem I think turns out to be related to the way I write French
punctuation. I learned the hard way about this peculiarity of French
typography where you must stick those non-breaking thin spaces where they
belong and made a point of doing it by hand (in vim I haved mapped CTRL+K
to U+202f). Now what happens is that from his name I guess that the
gentleman who initially came up with the polyglossia package is a
frenchman. As such he was very focused on this particular typesetting quirk
and decided to ensure that this thin spaces business would be taken care of
automatically by his package. I believe this is the way text processors
handle it when you tell them that the material is written in French (?).

So what I am beginning to suspect is that pandoc invokes the polyglossia
package correctly but since I do not rely on this being done for me by the
package… it may very well turn out that polyglossia inserts a* second thin
space* next to the one that's already there… adding up to what looks
basically like a regular-width space. Not sure how I could check the
resulting PDF and verify this hunch of mine. Another approach would
obviously be to run a few regex's to get rid of all those U+202f's in my
.md files and see what happens…

I took a look at the polyglossia doc as you suggest and I did find
indications that polyglossia does add thin spaces automatically (that's the
kind of feature that make polyglossia more 'modern' than babel I imagine)
and that you can use the 'autospacing=false' option should you need to
disable the feature.

Obviously most people would NOT want pandoc to disable the feature…

So it's really up to me to change my usepackage polyglossia invocation to
make sure my thin spaces are left alone.

What would be the recommend way to do this… hard code something like
'\usepackage[autospacing=false]{polyglossia}' in my
~/.pandoc/templates/default.latex I imagine?

Thanks,

CJ

P.S. how can I fix the typo in the issue's title… U+2024 instead of the
intended U+202f?

@ 2020-02-03  4:12   ` Chris Jones
       [not found]     ` <561d210b-ceb6-4f9a-98e2-556f8e12e2ca-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Jones @ 2020-02-03  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm trying to modify the default.latex template and I see this:

`\else
  % load polyglossia as late as possible as it *could* call bidi if RTL
lang (e.g. Hebrew or Arabic)
  \usepackage{polyglossia}
  \setmainlanguage*[$polyglossia-lang.options$]*{$polyglossia-lang.name$}
$for(polyglossia-otherlangs)$

\setotherlanguage[$polyglossia-otherlangs.options$]{$polyglossia-otherlangs.name$}
$endfor$
\fi`

Now I suspect that '[autospacing=false]' is an option of the
\setmainlanguage command rather than a 'global' option of the poylglossia
package.

Therefore I would need to change this:

`  \setmainlanguage[$polyglossia-lang.options$]{$polyglossia-lang.name$}`

to something that has 'autospacing=false' added to the contents of
'$polyglossia-lang.options$', presumably a pandoc variable (?)

How do I achieve this?

@ 2020-02-03 17:02       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-02-03 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Jones, pandoc-discuss

You should be able to put something like this in your yaml
metadata:

---
polyglossia-lang:

                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)