* for pdf output, use a different font (mlmodern)
@ 2022-09-15  1:38 John Gabriele
       [not found] ` <c74be94e-00a5-40d6-8d9c-0089c4f12e27-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Gabriele @ 2022-09-15  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

For pdf output I'd like to try using the slightly more bold variant of Computer Modern called MLModern.

Compare:

  * <https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/computermodern/>
  * <https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/mlmodern/>

More info at <https://ctan.org/pkg/mlmodern>

On my Debian system, it appears to come installed with the texlive-fonts-extra package.

I currently process docs into pdf with a command like:

    pandoc -s -o foo.pdf -V geometry:margin=0.6in foo.txt

What must I do to get a document to be rendered in the MLModern font?

-- John

* AW: for pdf output, use a different font (mlmodern)
       [not found] ` <c74be94e-00a5-40d6-8d9c-0089c4f12e27-jFIJ+Wc5/Vo7lZ9V/NTDHw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-15  5:08   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]     ` <413b1407ada4472a89253fb511bdcb74-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2022-09-15  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#fonts
For pdf output I'd like to try using the slightly more bold variant of Computer Modern called MLModern.

Compare:

  * <https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/computermodern/>
  * <https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/mlmodern/>

More info at <https://ctan.org/pkg/mlmodern>

On my Debian system, it appears to come installed with the texlive-fonts-extra package.

I currently process docs into pdf with a command like:

    pandoc -s -o foo.pdf -V geometry:margin=0.6in foo.txt

What must I do to get a document to be rendered in the MLModern font?

-- John

* Re: for pdf output, use a different font (mlmodern)
       [not found]     ` <413b1407ada4472a89253fb511bdcb74-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-09-16  1:35       ` John Gabriele
From: John Gabriele @ 2022-09-16  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks. For posterity, after installing the texlive-fonts-extra package, and following the link you referred me to, I was able to get pandoc to use the mlmodern font in two different ways. One was to put this at the top of my input file:

~~~~~~
---
fontfamily: mlmodern
~~~~~~

The other was to instead pass the following on the command line:

~~~
pandoc -s -o foo.pdf -V fontfamily:mlmodern foo.txt
~~~

Note that, at <https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/mlmodern/>, it says in the usage note:

~~~
\usepackage{mlmodern}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
~~~

I also notice that, in the pandoc latex template (output from `pandoc -D latex`), it has a bit in there involving fontfamily:

~~~
$if(fontfamily)$
\usepackage[$for(fontfamilyoptions)$$fontfamilyoptions$$sep$,$endfor$]{$fontfamily$}
$else$
\usepackage{lmodern}
$endif$

~~~