Hi John, Thanks for responding! I have a few clarifying questions mainly around Attr, because I don't quite understand what values are stored. When you say adding `vertical-align` to attributes should be okay, how do you mean? Would it be more appropriate to store it in the XML format that docx uses to denote vertical alignment? As well, I think I was a little thrown off by some of the black box testing we did on the HTML reader. When we ran `pandoc -f html -t native` on the following HTML:
Noah Malmed writes: > > > Hello! > > > > We use Pandoc often to convert from docx to HTML, and many of the > > documents we convert include tables. As far as we can tell, almost all > of > > the table styling is lost in the docx reader. Specifically, we care > about 5 > > things: > > > > 1. Text justification (left, center, or right) > > > > 2. Vertical alignment (top, middle, or bottom) > > > > 3. Text indentation > > > > 4. Cell shading and text color > > > > 5. Table borders > > > > We hope to enhance the docx reader so that these stylings get preserved > in > > the AST. > > > > Proposed solutions: > > > > 1. It seems like text justification already exists in the AST through > the > > Alignment value. It just needs to get implemented in the docx reader, as > > described in this issue: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/6316 > > Correct. > > > 2. Add the vertical alignment style to attributes as suggested here > > > > Should be okay. However, adding `vertical-align` there won't do > any good for converting to HTML unless the HTML writer is > modified to be sensitive to this attribute. > > > 3. Add text indentation to attributes in the form of the style > padding-left > > You're talking about directly adding 'style' to attributes, with > CSS contents? That would make the docx reader very good for > converting to HTML and not so good for any other format. > > Note that in general pandoc does not strive to preserve every > small detail of formatting, only structure. See the beginning > of the manual. > > > 4. Add cell shading and text color to attributes in the form of the > styles > > background-color and color > > See above, also search the issue tracker for 'color'. > > > 5. Add table borders to attributes in the form of the style border > > I think this falls into the category of things that are beyond > pandoc's scope. We don't strive to reproduce all the formatting > details in conversions. Again, see the beginning of the manual. > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/ec31e976-089b-4916-949a-fad874b2a8adn%40googlegroups.com.