From: Connor Patrick Jackson <cpjackson-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Markdown -> CommonMark extensions tracker
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:41:59 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

re: not allowed by spec: Oh okay. I guess that only really makes sense for
the handful of extensions that are allowed by commonmark but not by
markdown, but that isn't really all that useful information. Are there any
markdown extensions that, for whatever reason, will *never* be incorporated
into commonmark, either within the spec or as an extension? That might be
useful to know as well but there might not be any in that situation.

Perhaps more useful would just be a list for each of the latter two
categories:

Former markdown packages that are permanently incorporated into the
commonmark spec (this could be added to the manual rather than on the wiki,
since it is essentially fixed, and would be a useful reference?)
Markdown packages yet to be implemented in commonmark (this list belongs on
the wiki as it gradually shrinks)

I would happily volunteer to give myself a periodic calendar reminder and
check in with pandoc --list-extensions and the release notes to see if any
new extensions have been implemented, and update the Wiki list accordingly.
If someone could put together the first list (I'm not super read-up on the
details of the commonmark spec) I can put together the second.

For convenience, the full list of markdown packages not available in
commonmark (union of the two lists) as of 2.14.0.3 (and I don't believe
2.14.1 added any new commonmark extensions):
abbreviations
all_symbols_escapable
angle_brackets_escapable
auto_identifiers