* Assistance with pandoc-jats
@ 2016-03-29 20:02 schneider.922-ZbGKxL/pcrQ
       [not found] ` <7806a6af-cdf1-4bd5-ab77-cf75eea82d3d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: schneider.922-ZbGKxL/pcrQ @ 2016-03-29 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

All,

I'm new to pandoc, and honestly, don't understand much beyond the commands
I'm supposed to use. I'm trying to use pandoc to convert Microsoft Word
files to Markdown, and then use Martin Fenner's pandoc-jats to convert the
Markdown files to JATS XML. I've been able to convert Word documents to
Markdown, but every time I try to convert the Markdown file to JATS I get
some variation of the following error message:

WARNING: Undefined function 'SoftBreak'
pandoc: user error (Incorrect result type (string expected, got nil))

Sometimes I get the 'WARNING' line, sometimes I don't, sometimes I get it
50 times before I get the pandoc line.I've tried various files from various
sources. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I haven't found a
satisfactory answer anywhere, so I'm hoping someone here can help me. If
there's more information you need, please let me know and I'll provide it.

Thanks in advance!

Ingrid

* Re: Assistance with pandoc-jats
       [not found] ` <7806a6af-cdf1-4bd5-ab77-cf75eea82d3d-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-03-30  0:24   ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]     ` <20160330002438.GA68165-nFAEphtLEs/fysO+viCLMa55KtNWUUjk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2016-03-30  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The custom writer needs to be updated to handle the
SoftBreak element, which was added in recent versions of pandoc.
You should write to Martin Fenner about this.

+++ schneider.922-ZbGKxL/pcrQ@public.gmane.org [Mar 29 16 13:02 ]:

@ 2016-03-30 10:48       ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]         ` <d4195674-f23a-4523-8f00-b1e6a356cb87-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2016-03-30 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Ingrid,

I will update pandoc-jats.

Best,

Martin

@ 2016-03-30 13:19           ` schneider.922-ZbGKxL/pcrQ
From: schneider.922-ZbGKxL/pcrQ @ 2016-03-30 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you so much!

Ingrid

@ 2017-01-16 18:27           ` Patrick Leevers
       [not found]             ` <c85c56e2-b1f9-409a-bfb8-f16c8aaf158a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Patrick Leevers @ 2017-01-16 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi Martin
I'm a new user, as of today, running under Mac Sierra. I'm seeing the exact
same problem: a "WARNING: Undefined function 'SoftBreak'" warning for every
citation.
My pandoc-jats is the current download from GitHub: apparently 2 years old.
Is the latest update posted there?

Thanks
Pat

@ 2017-01-17  6:12               ` Steve
       [not found]                 ` <a03fdc42-6094-4738-910c-0054d8d6e198-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve @ 2017-01-17  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Just add the following code to the lua file (just about anywhere) to get
past the error:

function SoftBreak()
  return ""
end

@ 2017-01-17 10:28                   ` Martin Fenner
       [not found]                     ` <1964bcd10792a9b75e27fdeab04a6852-w+lCsU2Rg69Wk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Martin Fenner @ 2017-01-17 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Patrick and Steve,

I updated the pandoc-jats master branch to include the SoftBreak function, as suggested by Steve:
https://github.com/mfenner/pandoc-jats

Best,

Martin

—
Martin Fenner
DataCite Technical Director
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-1419-2405

Just add the following code to the lua file (just about anywhere) to get past the error:

functionSoftBreak()
return""
end

On Monday, January 16, 2017 at 11:27:41 AM UTC-7, Patrick Leevers wrote:
> Hi Martin

> I'm a new user, as of today, running under Mac Sierra. I'm seeing the exact same problem: a "WARNING: Undefined function 'SoftBreak'" warning for every citation.

> My pandoc-jats is the current download from GitHub: apparently 2 years old. Is the latest update posted there?

> Thanks

> Pat

> On Wednesday, 30 March 2016 11:48:41 UTC+1, Martin Fenner wrote:
>> Ingrid,

>> I will update pandoc-jats.

>> Best,

>> Martin

>> On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 2:24:54 AM UTC+2, John MacFarlane wrote:
>>> The custom writer needs to be updated to handle the

>>> SoftBreak element, which was added in recent versions of pandoc.

>>> You should write to Martin Fenner about this.

--- end of original message ---

@ 2017-01-17 10:53                       ` Patrick Leevers
       [not found]                         ` <B7F365B7-E215-4C52-994D-EBA74E620FE9-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Patrick Leevers @ 2017-01-17 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks Steve and Martin! That sorted my problem:  pandoc-jats now generates XML which oXygen’s out-of-the-box JATS article template can read with only very minor problems.
Pat

@ 2017-01-17 11:11                           ` Martin Fenner
From: Martin Fenner @ 2017-01-17 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw