On 05/17/2023 01:28 AM, ThomasH wrote: > As there are so many possibilities to install some files on a system, depending on questions like whether you want to make a system-wide or user installation etc., I think it is impossible to give a general answer. If you are the only user on the system I would leave the existing system-wide (I presume) 2.19.2 installation alone, to not mess with the CentOS package management, unpack the 3.1.2 tarball in a suitable path under my HOME and link to the binaries from `~/bin` which is on my PATH. > > On Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 8:56:53 PM UTC+2 H wrote: > > I found I have pandoc 2.19.2 installed on my CentOS 7 system, installed as a tarball. The latest version is 3.1.2. > > Do I need to uninstall the old version before unpacking the most recent tarball or can I simply install over the old version and any old "cruft" will be removed during installation? > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org . > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/0670a3f2-69f7-4a91-b6b5-145511c273ebn%40googlegroups.com . Well, that begs the question: how to uninstall pandoc from a system, regardless of whether it is installed system-wide or for an individual user? My installation of 2.19.2 was not done using yum (in which case I could simply have used yum to remove it) but installed as a tarball downloaded from the pandoc github repository. If I could uninstall the current, old version, I could then install the current version. How do you update your pandoc installation on your computer when a new release becomes available? -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f1db6da5-7788-7288-3397-5d8f45cebfbb%40meddatainc.com.