* Remove space after list marker
@ 2021-03-19  6:36 Mustafa J
       [not found] ` <a17cc841-24c1-4754-9300-8213d7e4a1c6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mustafa J @ 2021-03-19  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc -t markdown
- hello
^D
-   hello

I prefer the output didn't contain those extra spaces. Is there any way to
remove them?

-Mustafa

* Re: Remove space after list marker
       [not found] ` <a17cc841-24c1-4754-9300-8213d7e4a1c6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-03-19 12:14   ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]     ` <83087b67-b669-690d-86f6-abc1958d25cb-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-03-19 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I agree. I always manually remove the three spaces. I'm not sure of the motivation either, but the fancy list extension does say the following: "They must be separated from the text that follows by at least one space, and, if the list marker is a capital letter with a period, by at least two spaces." I don't know if that is related...

@ 2021-03-19 16:54       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m2wnu3ozif.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-03-19 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I agree. I always manually remove the three spaces. I'm not sure of the motivation either, but the fancy list extension does say the following: "They must be separated from the text that follows by at least one space, and, if the list marker is a capital letter with a period, by at least two spaces." I don't know if that is related...

The motivation is to make sure embedded lists and block-level
elements line up properly, obeying the "four-space rule."  Note
that pandoc's markdown reader no longer obeys the four-space
rule, and one could imagine revising the writer to be sensitive
to the `four_space_rule` extension flag. Nonetheless, obeying it
creates the most portable markdown output.

@ 2021-03-19 20:26           ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2021-03-19 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I for one always use the four columns indentation/three spaces between the
marker and the list item text. I find that it makes list easier to see when
eyeballing a document even if there aren't any continuation paragraphs.
When there are continuation paragraphs applying the four space rule makes
things less confusing.

--
Better --help|less than helpless

@ 2021-03-20 19:07           ` Thomas Byskov Dalgaard
       [not found]             ` <BBF74455-22EA-46E5-8471-F972DCBB1BB0-AHfMSizzl90sTMJHDOTzqX9LOBIZ5rWg@public.gmane.org>
From: Thomas Byskov Dalgaard @ 2021-03-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi!

Feature request right there for a future version of Pandoc.

I read braille and here I always remove the three spaces so I can read faster with my hands.
So would be great if the change is:
If the four_space_rule flag is not enabled there will be inserted no extra spaces after a list marker.

Best regards Thomas

@ 2021-03-21  5:17               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m2h7l5ozke.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-03-21  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Byskov Dalgaard, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If someone wants to put it on the tracker, it will be
less likely to be forgotten about.

@ 2021-03-22 12:40                   ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2021-03-22 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw, Thomas Byskov Dalgaard