* YAML: biblio-style, citestyle, bibstyle
@ 2023-04-23 17:38 Guido Milanese
       [not found] ` <c12bf5d1-72d3-4883-b1af-425594f27822n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Guido Milanese @ 2023-04-23 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have been using pandoc + LaTeX + Biblatex for several years now as my
normal tool for scholarly writing, and I find the biblatex filter really
excellent. For some reasons, the style of a journal requires  a particular
biblatex style "mixture":

```
citestyle=ext-authoryear, bibstyle=ext-authortitle
```

For a similar use, see e.g.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/433643/customizing-biblatex-authoryear-labels-in-bibliography-and-format-of-editor
.

Question: while I normally write, in my YAML header:

```
biblio-style: <required style>
```

I was not able to find a YAML instruction suitable for this particular
need, i.e. two searate style for citation and for the final bibliography.
Not a big issue, since I can edit the TeX file with s simple sed script,
but I was just curious to know if it is possible to incorporate this
instruction within a YAML header.

Many thanks for everything.
guido (Italy)

* Re: YAML: biblio-style, citestyle, bibstyle
       [not found] ` <c12bf5d1-72d3-4883-b1af-425594f27822n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-04-24 10:40   ` Julien Dutant
From: Julien Dutant @ 2023-04-24 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

For a temporary solution It looks like you have to modify Pandoc's LaTeX
template. The biblatex manual says that citestyle has to be given as
\usepacakge option. From Pandoc's LaTeX template
(https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-templates/blob/master/default.latex, line
400) you'll see that the command is generated by:

```
\usepackage[$if(biblio-style)$style=$biblio-style$,$endif$$for(biblatexoptions)$$biblatexoptions$$sep$,$endfor$]{biblatex}
```

You could insert a command to use a cite-style variable here. Save the
default template by running `pandoc -D latex > mytpl.latex`, replace line
400 with:

```
\usepackage[$if(cite-style)$citestyle=$cite-style$,
$if(biblio-style)$bibstyle=$biblio-style$,$endif$$else$
$if(biblio-style)$style=$biblio-style$,$endif$$endif$$for(biblatexoptions)$$biblatexoptions$$sep$,$endfor$]{biblatex}
```

(This generates `citestyle=<cite-style>,bibstyle=<bibstyle>` if both are
present and `sytle=<bib-style>` if the YAML doesn't define a `cite-style`.)
You can then add `cite-style: ext-authoryear` to your YAML block and run
Pandoc with --template mytpl.latex. You can place the template in your
pandoc user directory so it can be used anywhere with --template
mytpl.latex, e.g. $HOME/local/share/pandoc on Linux. See
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#option--data-dir

The downside is that you might have to redo this in further Pandoc updates
(unless Pandoc's own template introduces a cite-style option).

Best

@ 2023-04-24 10:49   ` Julien Dutant
       [not found]     ` <075fcbb1-068d-4089-a475-b2901032e8a6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Dutant @ 2023-04-24 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Have you tried not specifying a `biblio-style` YAML key and setting instead:

``` yaml
biblatexoptions:
- bibstyle=ext-authortitle
- citestyle=ext-authoryear
```

From Pandoc's LaTeX template
(https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-templates/blob/master/default.latex, line
400) you'll see that the command is generated by:

\usepackage[$if(biblio-style)$style=$biblio-style$,$endif$$for(biblatexoptions)$$biblatexoptions$$sep$,$endfor$]{biblatex}

Which means that a `biblio-style=XXX` is converted to to the option
\usepackage[style=XXX,]{biblatex}, but arbitrary biblatexoptions are
reproduced as is.

@ 2023-04-27  7:50       ` Guido Milanese
From: Guido Milanese @ 2023-04-27  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss