* Outdated package in `apt-get` (stuck at v1.16.0.2)
@ 2017-10-09  2:24 Hazem AbuMostafa
       [not found] ` <1e142d8b-959b-43f6-b3d2-59191bcd3e85-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hazem AbuMostafa @ 2017-10-09  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello everyone.

So, I use Pandoc to build by blog. I always install Pandoc manually on my
machine through executables/installers.
But when I published the blog today I noticed some result differences and
thought it's a host problem. But then I installed Pandoc through `apt-get`
(which is the way the host use to install it) and found that this is the
latest version uploaded there (1.16.0.2) instead of 1.19.2.x.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y06xUIRqW7A/Wdrcy5YYJGI/AAAAAAAAEjc/dZpJWaW8E1oQXxi1pLAUVOkLggfJp-edwCLcBGAs/s1600/pndc.JPG>

So, is there anyway to fix this?

* Re: Outdated package in `apt-get` (stuck at v1.16.0.2)
       [not found] ` <1e142d8b-959b-43f6-b3d2-59191bcd3e85-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-09  2:36   ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]     ` <CA+u6gbzp_jf9rpAoXfcBMCp5Q4AmHPQzJjMXMkEdwSs8ARggpQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2017-10-09  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

 Debian (I'm guessing that's what you're using from the use of `apt-get`)
is usually slow to get new packages.

So if you want a newer version of pandoc there, you'll have to
build/install it yourself.

On 9 October 2017 at 13:24, Hazem AbuMostafa <hbluebrince-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> So, I use Pandoc to build by blog. I always install Pandoc manually on my
> machine through executables/installers.
> But when I published the blog today I noticed some result differences and
> thought it's a host problem. But then I installed Pandoc through `apt-get`
> (which is the way the host use to install it) and found that this is the
> latest version uploaded there (1.16.0.2) instead of 1.19.2.x.
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y06xUIRqW7A/Wdrcy5YYJGI/AAAAAAAAEjc/dZpJWaW8E1oQXxi1pLAUVOkLggfJp-edwCLcBGAs/s1600/pndc.JPG>
>
> So, is there anyway to fix this?
>
> --
> msgid/pandoc-discuss/1e142d8b-959b-43f6-b3d2-59191bcd3e85%
> 40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/1e142d8b-959b-43f6-b3d2-59191bcd3e85%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

@ 2017-10-09  2:54       ` Hazem AbuMostafa
       [not found]         ` <22906d3c-9395-40ba-873b-6989bdb307e3-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hazem AbuMostafa @ 2017-10-09  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm using Ubuntu (I believe `apt` is available in all Linux distros).
So packages are not uploaded via a maintainer/moderator?

@ 2017-10-09  3:33           ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]             ` <CA+u6gbxnC5+Tz54azzeFh-fRu+TaAqtgVcTng1O1g-Uxj1fHQQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2017-10-09  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

`apt` is used on Linux-based distributions.  Distributions themselves are
responsible for maintaining the software found in their repositories.

You may be able to find a PPA with a newer version of pandoc.

@ 2017-10-09  3:48               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20171009034854.GE20728-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-09  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

We provide a binary debian package of the latest release at
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases
This should work on Ubuntu.

+++ Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [Oct 09 17 14:33 ]:

@ 2017-10-09  3:55                   ` Hazem AbuMostafa
       [not found]                     ` <1c234eb5-3076-4528-93c1-e3feef9b632e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Hazem AbuMostafa @ 2017-10-09  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I get that, and that's how I install it usually.
The question is if there's anyway to get the package in `apt` updated to
this latest version.

@ 2017-10-09  4:16                       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-09  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Hazem AbuMostafa [Oct 08 17 20:55 ]:
>   I get that, and that's how I install it usually.
>   The question is if there's anyway to get the package in `apt` updated
>   to this latest version.

It has to trickle up through the very careful process of
debian updates.  This just takes a while, and it depends
a bit on how fast the debian maintainers react to a new
version.

@ 2017-10-09  4:25                       ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]                         ` <CA+u6gbxZt3=sz1=2dSY95P0i2GGQ7a=vzFpYzRHjeVcXu8DPMg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2017-10-09  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 9 October 2017 at 14:55, Hazem AbuMostafa <hbluebrince-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I get that, and that's how I install it usually.
> The question is if there's anyway to get the package in `apt` updated to
> this latest version.

Distributions usually only update major versions on a new release of
the distribution; exceptions are made for things like browsers due to
security reasons.

@ 2017-10-10  0:37                           ` Hazem AbuMostafa
From: Hazem AbuMostafa @ 2017-10-10  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss