To me the octagon concept don’t quite work, it suffers a similar problem with the rmarkdown picture you show (although much simpler). It spreads out too much so the central circle will becomes tiny when it shrinks to an icon. A potential solution is the central circle is for small size icon, and the whole thing including the octagon is the full logo (a responsive logo having a small/big version). But since we have problems to perfect 1 design, 2 is overkill for now. Another potential solution is to rotate the rectangles so that the short side of the page points radially. Anyway I kind of abandon it until a better improvements on the idea can be done. So far my favorite is actually the “PD document design” (I think I mentioned it before): [image: PD] The major selling points are 1. PD is clearly spelling out pandoc. Many documents apps uses some sort of single character/acronym design (examples are TextWrangler, Word-Excel-Powerpoint-Outlook, TeXShop, MultiMarkdown Composer et al, all Adobe CC apps, RStudio, PyCharm, Alternotes, Pagico, Marked, Blogo, Taskpaper, Xmind, other examples are Appstore, Kypass Companion, atext, FileZilla, Logitech, Duet Display…). And you can see from the list, many of which is related to pandoc in some way. 2. The most standout feature of the design is, the characters are designed with a document form, and a well-played way to get a P from hiding a document partially with D. 3. The things that I might think differently are 1. the 2 braces on the left and right are unnecessary. 2. the “holes” of the P and D characters needed to improve. (But I don’t know how.) 3. Earlier on I mentioned the empty spaces on the 2 corners might be leaking. But when I looked at it more it doesn’t really is a problem. I suggested to fill the empty spaces with arrows, but now I think the minimalism is actually better (including the removal of the braces). Just to briefly mention it: another one I like is the one constructed by simply typing out pandoc in a certain way: [image: pandoc] Since it can be typed in markdown, it emphasizes on 1 source code, multiple representations — imagine how they would look differently in different output, and yet all of them are valid pandoc logos. Not to mention that the logo will be changed when a different font is used. It kind of represents the infinite possibilities around pandoc, and that pandoc is about the structure of the document. That’s why I was suggesting a build in macro \pandoc linking to this. When people keep reading the variants of the pandoc logos in different output formats, all they recognized is then the structure, but not the actual representation — again, this would be an “entry point” to open a dialog on pandoc’s philosophy (so it is not exactly only [image: \forall] or “pointing to AST” that can be philosophical, and open up to good stories, you know). In short, probably the later one a a bit more geeky and the first one is more artsy. On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 2:14:40 PM UTC-8, Sergio Correia wrote: The octagon looks cool but it might be hard to recall what was it about > (e.g. if you have that as an icon in your desktop). > ​ -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f4a9ec72-a07a-48c0-90ad-50a722101e2c%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.