* Chunked output and htmlhelp
@ 2020-10-29 17:56 ChrisD
From: ChrisD @ 2020-10-29 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'd like to lobby for supporting chunked output and HtmlHelp output in pandoc. As discussed in https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/6122 as well as other issues and list postings.

My use case is primarily HtmlHelp. This format is still, in my opinion, the best format for software help documents on windows.
- The viewer is already installed in all versions of windows (not true for pdf or epub)
- It incorporates a nice TOC in the left pane (not true for html)
- There is a built in search facility.
- You can easily link from your software to a specific location in the help file to provide context sensitive help.
- It's a single file to include in your software distribution or to email to someone.

I would less frequently use chunked html output, but I suspect this would be widely used by others if it was available.

I'd be glad to help where I can. I don't know haskell and can't help with the coding. But I have experience with htmlhelp files and could help clarify what files need to be created and how to use HtmlHelp Workshop to generate the final chm file. And I could test.

Please consider adding these output formats to pandoc. Thanks,

Chris

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-10-29 17:56 UTC | newest]