Here is an update on my efforts. 1. I updated the haskell platform and Pandoc on my RHEL 6 to the latest versions. 2. I used the following filter code to replace "\newpage" with the pgBrkXml which draws on the contributions above. This was not successful. The '\newpage' entries were removed but the pgBrkXml was not inserted. import Text.Pandoc.JSON import Text.Pandoc import Text.Pandoc.Walk (walk) pgBrkXml :: String pgBrkXml = "" pgBrkBlock :: Block pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block insertPgBrks (RawBlock (Format "tex") "\newpage") = pgBrkBlock insertPgBrks blk = blk main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks Question: Are the opening imports necessary? 3. I also tried the following filter code replacing "PAGEBREAK" with the pgBrkXml which was successful. The result was a word file with the pagebreaks in the correct places. import Text.Pandoc.JSON import Text.Pandoc import Text.Pandoc.Walk (walk) pgBrkXml :: String pgBrkXml = "" pgBrkBlock :: Block pgBrkBlock = RawBlock (Format "openxml") pgBrkXml insertPgBrks :: Block -> Block insertPgBrks (Para [Str "PAGEBREAK"]) = pgBrkBlock insertPgBrks blk = blk main = toJSONFilter insertPgBrks 4. In both instances, pandoc-word-pagebreak.hs was compiled as $ ghc --make pandoc-word-pagebreak.hs and the .md file was processed as: $ pandoc --filter ./pandoc-word-pagebreak input.md -o output.docx 5. Ideally, the first version replacing '\newpage' would work streamlining the ability to output in different formats. Thanks for everyone's help! Joel -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/f65a84c9-7e2f-4ba1-a092-0c52f5f79186%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.