* Dev version and latest binary at the same time
@ 2020-09-14  8:10 Denis Maier
       [not found] ` <80c2e758-19f5-cb58-a4df-9b2df8a66b50-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-09-14  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

is there a recommended way for having the dev version and the latest
official version installed at the same time? How can you still use the
official version in a production environment while tinkering with the
dev version?

Best,
Denis

* Re: Dev version and latest binary at the same time
       [not found] ` <80c2e758-19f5-cb58-a4df-9b2df8a66b50-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-09-14  9:02   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87r1r4n338.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2020-09-14  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Denis Maier writes:

> is there a recommended way for having the dev version and the latest official
> version installed at the same time? How can you still use the official version
> in a production environment while tinkering with the dev version?

I'm using Docker to fix specific versions. We provide images for pandoc
2.6 and later (although I recently realized that we haven't published
2.10.1 yet). I rely heavily on Makefiles and put the path to pandoc in a
variable:

    PANDOC_VERSION ?= 2.7.3
    PANDOC ?= docker run --rm -it -v $(PWD):/data -u $(id -u):$(id -g) pandoc/latex:$(PANDOC_VERSION)

    %.pdf: %.md
      $(PANDOC) --output=$@ $<

Then I can run

    make my-doc.pdf

for a normal build,

    make my-doc.pdf PANDOC_VERSION=2.9.2.1

to use a different published version, or

    make my-doc.pdf PANDOC=local/dev/pandoc

to use a local version.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2020-09-14 16:23   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2imcgnx8e.fsf-jF64zX8BO08an7k8zZ43ob9bIa4KchGshsV+eolpW18@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-09-14 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The easiest thing to do would be to rename the dev version
binary as pandoc-dev or something.

@ 2020-09-14 19:46       ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-09-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ok, thanks.

@ 2020-09-14 19:48       ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2020-09-14 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Looks interesting. I really have to look into docker... Is there a neat
introduction / tutorial somewhere?