* Interweaving two markdown files
@ 2021-11-24 10:58 Corentin Dupont
       [not found] ` <CAEyhvmp-ZYFczz7BgERWp3BskyXn3ttXGZ+O3SC53jVhLF7iqA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Corentin Dupont @ 2021-11-24 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,
I have two markdown files. The first contains a tutorial written in
markdown.
The second contains some questions/quizzes.

Example of tutorial file:

Arduino
======

An arduino is a microcontroller for developers.

Raspberry PI
==========

Example of quizz question file:

Arduino is a:
- Microcontroller
- Mini-PC

Raspberry is :
- ...

I'd rather keep the two separated, because sometimes I have to render the
tutorial, and the questions separately (say, for exams).
But I also need to render them interwoven, e.g. with the questions at the
end of each section.
How do you advice to do that?

Thanks

* AW: Interweaving two markdown files
       [not found] ` <CAEyhvmp-ZYFczz7BgERWp3BskyXn3ttXGZ+O3SC53jVhLF7iqA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-11-24 11:07   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-11-24 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Another approach : Keep the tutorial and the questions in the same file and use divs to mark-up the questions.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
::: tutorial
Arduino
======

An arduino is a microcontroller for developers.
:::
::: quiz
Arduino is a:
- Microcontroller
- Mini-PC
:::
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Then, use a filter to render one, the other or both.

Denis

I have two markdown files. The first contains a tutorial written in markdown.
The second contains some questions/quizzes.

Example of tutorial file:

Arduino
======

An arduino is a microcontroller for developers.

Raspberry PI
==========

Example of quizz question file:

Arduino is a:
- Microcontroller
- Mini-PC

Raspberry is :
- ...

I'd rather keep the two separated, because sometimes I have to render the tutorial, and the questions separately (say, for exams).
But I also need to render them interwoven, e.g. with the questions at the end of each section.
How do you advice to do that?

Thanks

* Re: Interweaving two markdown files
       [not found] ` <CAEyhvmp-ZYFczz7BgERWp3BskyXn3ttXGZ+O3SC53jVhLF7iqA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-11-24 11:11   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-11-24 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can write both in a single file while using divs to discriminate beween them:

::: {.lesson}
Arduino
======

An arduino is a microcontroller for developers.

Raspberry PI
==========
:::

::: {.quizz}
Arduino is a:
- Microcontroller
- Mini-PC

Raspberry is :
- ...
:::

Then you can write a filter that suppresses Divs with class "lesson" and another one that suppresses those with class "quizz".

@ 2021-11-24 12:03     ` Corentin Dupont
       [not found]       ` <CAEyhvmpq4_8MXUtUX4hE6cQqEjdjjRbuP4-GBtyTQe70Xu3jdQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Corentin Dupont @ 2021-11-24 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that you could express divs in
markdown.

But is there any way to really keep the files separated? Maybe the simplest
way is to append the quizzes after the tutorials.

Another idea is to render the two files in two separate divs side by side,
and keep the divs in sync.

I'm using Hugo to generate the webpages, so using hugo templating system is
possible.

@ 2021-11-24 13:24         ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2021-11-24 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

To concatenate them, simply write both on the command line: pandoc file1.md file2.md -o file.html. All other tasks would really be easier to achieve if you write alternated divs in a single source file.

@ 2021-11-24 13:25         ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-11-24 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that you could express divs in markdown.

Well, it’s a pandoc extension.

But is there any way to really keep the files separated? Maybe the simplest way is to append the quizzes after the tutorials.

You mean in the input, or in the output?
In the output it’s possible with a filter.
Merging two files is a bit more involved if you really want to interweave the files. If all you want is appending, you can simply call pandoc with multiple files.

pandoc OPTIONS tutorial.md quiz.md

@ 2021-11-25 17:09   ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2021-11-25 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 11/24/21 5:58 AM, Corentin Dupont wrote:
> Hello,
> I have two markdown files. The first contains a tutorial written in
> markdown.
> The second contains some questions/quizzes.

> I'd rather keep the two separated, because sometimes I have to render
> the tutorial, and the questions separately (say, for exams).
> But I also need to render them interwoven, e.g. with the questions at
> the end of each section.
> How do you advice to do that?

My thought would be to break it into chapters - have one chapter per
file, with separate folders for text and quiz chapter files.

Then when you want to just have one or the other, you render only that
folder.  If you want both, you can render both folders together.
(Probably with a makefile or similar.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.