* citeproc and "related" field
@ 2019-08-19 21:15 Guido Milanese
       [not found] ` <6a9af74f-d011-4733-a984-7c8f460ee41c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Guido Milanese @ 2019-08-19 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I am seriously experimenting pandoc filter "citeproc" as an interesting
alternative to the workflow I am more used to, i.e. markdown to write and
then compilation -- through pandoc -- as LaTeX + biber + Biblatex. I
noticed that the filter supports the BibTeX "crossref" field (e.g. an
article published in a volume of Proceedings) but not the "related" fields,
such as "translationof", "multivolume" and the like. Is this feature
planned? This would be a great advantage for those who save data in BibTeX
format.

Thank you. The pandoc "constellation" is incredibly useful and truly smart.

guido (NW Italy)

* Re: citeproc and "related" field
       [not found] ` <6a9af74f-d011-4733-a984-7c8f460ee41c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-08-20  6:17   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m2pnl0icnm.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-08-20  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Milanese, pandoc-discuss

The question is whether CSL has any variables corresponding to
these things.

http://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#standard-variables

If so, we could try to be smarter about translating from
bibtex/biblatex to citeproc json.  If not, then it's out of scope
for pandoc-citeproc.

@ 2019-08-20  7:06       ` 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Nick Bart' via pandoc-discuss @ 2019-08-20  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

To the best of my knowledge, CSL does not provide any mechanisms for dealing with relations between different items. (For example, that’s why pandoc-citeproc needs to pull all the data from a `crossref`ed item and fold it into the `crossref`ing item when translating from bibtex/biblatex to CSL JSON/YAML.)

CSL-M has “`cs:alternative` to add supplementary reference information to a cited item, such as a translation or reprint” (https://citeproc-js.readthedocs.io/en/latest/csl-m/index.html#cs-alternative-extension), but even if we were to consider adding CSL-M extensions to pandoc-citeproc, we would still have to fold all the information from a number of different biblatex items (translation/reprint; orig. lang. version; earlier print; …) into one CSL JSON/YAML item.

Anyone who sees this a unsatisfactory could of course submit a proposal for enhancing CSL itself (https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/issues).

@ 2019-08-20  8:22         ` Guido Milanese
       [not found]           ` <CAFsD75Q1dfQT8X5Q9usctbf9rdUPzDdPPLaELUHB0Sk0yUqbpw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Guido Milanese @ 2019-08-20  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you. Indeed, the CSL variables for translation/reprint and the like
are the same of the old BibTeX files, now deprecated by the Biblatex
format. This new  format is much more practical, but I agree that a
conversion would be a bit heavy. A sort of pre-filter should read the
related entry, extract the needed data (e.g. title), add data with a new
label (e.g.  original-title), and reshape the cited item. Not difficult,
but a bit cumbersome. Do you think that a proposal would be worth
submitting?

--
Guido Milanese - Professor of Classics - Docteur H.C. Paris ICP
Universita' Cattolica d.S.C., Milano - Brescia

@ 2019-08-20  9:54             ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2019-08-20  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss