* \textcolor - markdown->PDF works, but not latex->pdf?
@ 2018-06-28 14:59 Gandalf Saxe
       [not found] ` <48f22ec4-c76d-4b09-a27e-8a2072bc2f54-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-06-28 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Why does this convert correctly `pandoc test.md -o test.pdf`:

---
header-includes: \usepackage{xcolor}
---

This is normal content, \textcolor{orange}{warning content} and
\textcolor{red}{important content}.

But this doesn't ``:
\documentclass[]{article}
\usepackage{xcolor}

\begin{document}

This is normal content, \textcolor{orange}{warning content} and
\textcolor{red}{important content}.

\end{document}

That is, the content is completely the same, but it works from markdown,
but just not from latex?

A little ironic since the syntax is latex :)

* Re: \textcolor - markdown->PDF works, but not latex->pdf?
       [not found] ` <48f22ec4-c76d-4b09-a27e-8a2072bc2f54-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-06-29 14:52   ` Christophe Demko
       [not found]     ` <34c7193c-3ae9-4295-92fb-4c59b469cdf4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christophe Demko @ 2018-06-29 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The LaTeX code is convert correctly to pdf with correct colors

@ 2018-07-01 11:34       ` Gandalf Saxe
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-07-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

It does not work; try to copy the second example above into a test.tex and
run:

pandoc test.tex -o test.pdf

It will not color any of the text. pdflatex will work fine though, so
something happens with using pandoc.

       [not found]         ` <c8517ff0-ed5c-4d91-bc4c-bfbda5a2f33c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-07-01 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

@ 2018-07-01 11:46           ` Gandalf Saxe
       [not found]             ` <6f0787ce-e8ee-4f72-a3ee-755443e143a0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-07-01 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Looking at the --verbose output, I can see it silently throws this error:

[INFO] Could not load include file 'xcolor.sty' at line 2 column 20

Could be a problem with my setup then. I'll investigate. Do you not get
this error, and the example works with tex->pdf via pandoc?

@ 2018-07-01 11:48               ` Gandalf Saxe
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-07-01 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Btw I have the full MacTeX distribution installed, and I double checked
with the TeX Live Utility, and it's definitely installed.

@ 2018-07-02  8:08           ` Christophe Demko
       [not found]             ` <da814201-516b-485e-b9b7-94ac57adb6e7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christophe Demko @ 2018-07-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc does not interpret all LaTeX commands. Don't use pandoc if you want
to compile a LaTeX file

@ 2018-07-04 10:48               ` Gandalf Saxe
       [not found]                 ` <7e3ddc50-55c9-4ee0-950e-555c1e98385c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-07-04 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I just don't understand why pandoc can produce the right output directly
from markdown, but not intermediately through latex. It should be possible
to get the intermediate latex representation that also compiles with
pandoc. You're right, I could use pdflatex, I'm just puzzled at why it
works for md to pdf then.

@ 2018-07-04 15:43                   ` mb21
From: mb21 @ 2018-07-04 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

use `-t native` to see how specific readers render to the intermediate
native AST representation... then you'll see why.

@ 2018-08-10  7:02                   ` Denis J Navas
From: Denis J Navas @ 2018-08-10  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The reason is that in 'default.latex', line 4 loads xcolor with the
following options:

     \PassOptionsToPackage{dvipsnames,svgnames*,x11names*}{xcolor}

With your tex document, you are loading a second time xcolor,
causing an error from tex compiler.

El 2018-jul-04 a las 04:48, Gandalf Saxe escribió:
> I just don't understand why pandoc can produce the right output directly
> from markdown, but not intermediately through latex. It should be
> possible to get the intermediate latex representation that also compiles
> with pandoc. You're right, I could use pdflatex, I'm just puzzled at why
> it works for md to pdf then.
>
> On Monday, 2 July 2018 10:08:33 UTC+2, Christophe Demko wrote:
>
>     pandoc does not interpret all LaTeX commands. Don't use pandoc if
>     you want to compile a LaTeX file
>
>     Le dimanche 1 juillet 2018 13:34:37 UTC+2, Gandalf Saxe a écrit :
>
>         It does not work; try to copy the second example above into a
>         test.tex and run:
>
>         |pandoc test.tex -o test.pdf|
>
>         It will not color any of the text. pdflatex will work fine
>         though, so something happens with using pandoc.
>
>         On Friday, 29 June 2018 16:52:45 UTC+2, Christophe Demko wrote:
>
>             The LaTeX code is convert correctly to pdf with correct colors
>
>             Le jeudi 28 juin 2018 16:59:43 UTC+2, Gandalf Saxe a écrit :
>
>                 Why does this convert correctly `pandoc test.md -o
>                 test.pdf`:

>                 ---
>                 header-includes:\usepackage{xcolor}
>                 ---
>

>                 Thisisnormal content,\textcolor{orange}{warning content}and
>                 \textcolor{red}{important content}.
>

>                 But this doesn't ``:
>                 \documentclass[]{article}
>                 \usepackage{xcolor}
>

>                 \begin{document}
>

>                 Thisisnormal content,\textcolor{orange}{warning content}and
>                 \textcolor{red}{important content}.
>

>                 \end{document}

>                 That is, the content is completely the same, but it
>                 works from markdown, but just not from latex?
>
>                 A little ironic since the syntax is latex :)
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7e3ddc50-55c9-4ee0-950e-555c1e98385c%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/7e3ddc50-55c9-4ee0-950e-555c1e98385c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

---
Este correo electrónico ha sido comprobado en busca de virus por AVG.
http://www.avg.com

* Re: \textcolor - markdown->PDF works, but not latex->pdf?
@ 2018-08-10 21:40                     ` Gandalf Saxe
From: Gandalf Saxe @ 2018-08-10 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss