* Can pandoc warn if a docx table includes merged cells?
@ 2016-03-09 11:02 James H
       [not found] ` <b1936c10-6f49-494a-ab93-6090a0d0d0d0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: James H @ 2016-03-09 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello. I'm converting docx files into md. What's the best way to deal with
merged cells in tables? I can't get them to convert properly at the moment
- some columns simply get deleted.

Instead, is there a way to get pandoc to throw a warning if a docx table
includes merged cells?

I couldn't find any existing threads on this topic but please let me know
if there are some!

* Re: Can pandoc warn if a docx table includes merged cells?
       [not found] ` <b1936c10-6f49-494a-ab93-6090a0d0d0d0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-03-09 16:12   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20160309161216.GF70376-jF64zX8BO091tJRe0FUodcM6rOWSkUom@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2016-03-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Pandoc conversion from formats more expressive than pandoc
Markdown can be lossy, as stated near the beginning of the README.

Ideally warnings would be produced, but currently only a few
of the readers support warnings.  This would be a good
addition to the docx reader.

+++ James H [Mar 09 16 03:02 ]:

@ 2016-03-10 14:22       ` Jesse Rosenthal
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2016-03-10 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John MacFarlane, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'll look into it. It's not immediately obvious to me, though, what the
best way to produce the warning would be. Most readers use `addWarning`,
which adds to the Parsec state, but the docx reader doesn't use Parsec
(and doesn't have StateT in its monad stack).

I guess I could add WriterT or StateT to the stack, and then just tack
on to `stateWarnings` the way `addWarning` does in the Parsec
state. Easy enough, and since I'm using mtl, I shouldn't have to add any
extra lifts. That seems preferable to just popping in a `hPutStr stderr
"error\n" >> hFlush stderr` whenever we hit a warning situation, anyway.

Best,
Jesse

@ 2016-03-12 19:04   ` Jesse Rosenthal
       [not found]     ` <87fuvvecvo.fsf-4GNroTWusrE@public.gmane.org>
From: Jesse Rosenthal @ 2016-03-12 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James H, pandoc-discuss

I've set up all the preiminaries for the docx reader to emit
warnings. James, can you open an issue on github issue tracker, with a
minimal docx file displaying the problem?

@ 2016-03-14 20:19       ` James H
From: James H @ 2016-03-14 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: jamesrharwood-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w